PDA

View Full Version : Chinnook in France

Wander00
20th Aug 2010, 08:23
Does the FAF have Chinooks? A Chinook flew lowish over us in Southern Vendee about 1830 our time (1730 UK) heading NNW, but could not see too much as I was driving at the time, so don't know if "one of ours" or one of theirs! If RAF, what's it doing 250 miles south of the Channel?

whowhenwhy
20th Aug 2010, 10:07
On the way back from exercise in Morocco? I think it's about that Jebel Sahara time of year.... Alternatively might be one of the flights doing some PDT in France?

Grimweasel
20th Aug 2010, 10:32
More likely Prince William off to a wedding in Cannes!! :E:E

dead_pan
20th Aug 2010, 10:34
Isn't there a SOE reunion somewhere in France this weekend?

Lyneham Lad
20th Aug 2010, 10:36
A Chinook flew lowish over us in Southern Vendee about 1830 our time (1730 UK) heading NNW...

More likely Prince William off to a wedding in Cannes!!

Grimweasel - can we assume you are not a Nav? :E

Trim Stab
20th Aug 2010, 11:13
I read his post and assumed he was a nav...

Grimweasel
20th Aug 2010, 11:26
LOL
Ok he was probably on his way BACK from a wedding!! :-)

(I'm not a Nav either - good job too with looming defence cuts - I'd be looking for a new career!!)

Wander00
20th Aug 2010, 11:39
Deadpan - there is an annual memorial service for 31 SAS murdered by the Germans near Poitiers - it is around this time of year, but due east of us so unlikely to be that.

Thanks for all the suggestions - just curious.

bobward
20th Aug 2010, 12:44
I don't think the French have any Chinooks. the Dutch and the Italians certainly do, and they're all painted a single oberall colour, the same as ours....

wokawoka
21st Aug 2010, 15:23
It was one of ours.

Wander00
21st Aug 2010, 16:00
WW - that sounds pretty authorotative - thanks - any more - were they back in time for Happy Hour - probably not. But good to see, and "bonne chance" to all

wokawoka
21st Aug 2010, 16:50
Kind of made it for HH, as we got back Thursday and HH is on Friday....:ok:

Wander00
21st Aug 2010, 17:14
So it was - senility obviously creeping up on me, or brain has boiled in the sun! Hope you are having a free weekend, and that the weather is letting you BBQ or whatever - we are just waiting for gite guests to arrive. Thanks for taking the trouble to respond to my query

Union Jack
21st Aug 2010, 17:43
..... that sounds pretty authorotative

Sounds about right for a Chinook!:ok:

Jack

airborne_artist
22nd Aug 2010, 06:40
Deadpan - there is an annual memorial service for 31 SAS murdered by the Germans near Poitiers - it is around this time of year, but due east of us so unlikely to be that.

Sounds like to are referring to the guys from B Sqn 1 SAS who were murdered on 7 July 1944 following Op Bulbasket.

At that time there were no double digit SAS regiments/battalions.

Wander00
22nd Aug 2010, 07:59
"31" referred not to the unit, but the number of guys sadly murdered

Wander00
22nd Aug 2010, 21:42
Wokkawokka - query - what language do you use to ATC crossing France, especially at your height? I am learning again to glide, 49 years after my A & B with the ATC. No point in calling Niort A/G in Engllish - so my French is having to improve by leaps and bounds.

2brevets
22nd Aug 2010, 21:48
When in France we speak English but loudly:) Unless you are the ex Chinook Frenchie who was asked not to speak French as they didn't understand him, maybe he was too tired that day?

Wander00
22nd Aug 2010, 21:51
I have the circuit calls written on the back of my hand, but I worry about my solo flights when I get above 3000ft and have to call Cognac. Maybe they do "English"

BEagle
23rd Aug 2010, 06:36
If after "God moaning", they instruct you to use French, try "Guten Morgen".

If they say they don't speak German, ask them (in loud English) who is responsible for ensuring that they don't have to.....:E

LH2
23rd Aug 2010, 06:53
Wander, every ATC unit in France can and do offer a service in English.

Perhaps you are talking to Radio or A/A callsigns?

wokawoka
23rd Aug 2010, 07:47
I find them very useful. We speak to them in English. More often than not they have no problems in being flexible in their airspace. Even if under a FIS they will give traffic using radar to prevent any potential incidents. TBH we could learn a few things of them in this country.

taxydual
23rd Aug 2010, 08:12
French ATC. Coo, that brings back memories.

In the '70's, the French Air Traffickers were much prone to go on strike (I spit on your aircraft etc) (for those in the know).

Returning to UK, ex Gib, in a Dominie (that's still flying!! I see) we came under control of Medan Radar, whose civilian complement were on strike. So, the French military ATC controllers were 'helping out'.

So, after much farcical Franglais between ourselves and our 'military controller', we were cleared to FL210 at 'xyz beacon' at such a time. (I forget the details exactly).

Being 'the pond life new boy', I was down the back on a headset listening, in awe, to all the exchanges when up pops on frequency a Spantax jet heading south. Who promptly adopted the French language whilst chatting to Medan.

Now, I did then and still now, have schoolboy French (le plume de ma tante etc) but my (very sparse) translation skills rapidly twigged that both we, the Dominie, and the Spantax were to arrive overhead the 'xyz' beacon at the same level and at the same time. Hmm, thinks I, not a good plan.

Being an LAC u/t Opsy at the time, and having no idea how the aircraft intercom worked, I plucked at the sleeve of my boss, the staff nav. After 'Sir,Sir I think the French controller has just.....etc', A degree of consternation arose from the Pilot and his Pilots Assistant resulting in much "confirm" and "Say again" transmissions being broadcast to/from Medan.

We eventually got home safe and sound after avoiding a possibly sad flying statistic.

The outcome. I was bought beer. I was ill. OK, I was young.

As an aside, I believe Medan Radar was given a different name shortly afterwards. As the initial call 'Medan', in Franglais and other accents, sounded very much like 'Mayday'.

Trim Stab
23rd Aug 2010, 18:21
The civilian ATCOs in France are excellent - I would say best trained, most helpful controllers in Europe (except when on strike!), and amongst the best in Europe for their command of ICAO English R/T.

The military controllers are just as cooperative, though their English is not necessarily to the same standard as their civilian counterparts.

Wokkafans
23rd Aug 2010, 23:16
Wokawoka - been watching this thread whilst in France for the last two weeks. Back tonight and watching your chaps on NF exercises tonight prompted me to register. We are on your NF route just south of Frensham Pond (opposite the campsite on Symondstone Lane) and my boys (7 & 9) love to see you passing by. They have been great Chinook fans since you visited their school (St. Ed's) a few years back and we all just wanted to pass on our regards.

Great low pass at approx 20-10 tonight - very impressive:D

Keep up the great work and keep safe.

p.s. - tea and cakes if you can get in the paddock :)

wokawoka
24th Aug 2010, 23:21
Tea and biscuits???? What is the grid and we ll see what we can do.

Wokkafans
25th Aug 2010, 08:35
WW - check your PM's :O

jimgriff
25th Aug 2010, 08:40
I'll see your tea and biscuits and raise you Ribena and Jaffacakes!!:}

52*22'50.02N
3*56'51.83W
Ele 212 mtrs
Smoke or strobes on request.

Send ETA.

TyroPicard
25th Aug 2010, 08:45
what language do you use to ATC crossing France, especially at your height?
Does it matter how tall you are?

Trim Stab
25th Aug 2010, 09:40
On the subject of French r/t, I have heard that there are moves afoot in France to require ICAO level-4 French in order to fly in uncontrolled airspace.

Wander00
25th Aug 2010, 09:56
T-S Is that degree level or more my "la plume de ma tante" sort of level.