PDA

View Full Version : Have all armed US helicopters left Iraq?

Lonewolf_50
19th Aug 2010, 17:39
The political folks sure use funny words sometimes to disguise what is actually going on. Recent news story on "all combat troops" being brought home from Iraq ... but what's really going on?

Troops out of Iraq by 2012? Don't bet on it - World news - Mideast/N. Africa - Conflict in Iraq - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38769105/ns/world_news-mideastn_africa/)

There are currently 56,000 U.S. troops in Iraq, down from about 140,000 when Obama took office in January 2009.
About 6,000 combat forces remain in Iraq temporarily, but they are not currently organized to carry out combat operations, NBC News reported.
Just what does that mean? If someone shoots at them, I suspect they'll do a bit of shooting back, eh?
A senior military official told NBC that the so-called advise-and-assist brigades will be combat capable, despite not having a formal combat mission. Some of those forces, which will be embedded with Iraqi forces, could be drawn into combat, NBC said.
Sure could.
About 4,500 American Special Operations forces will also continue to conduct counter-terrorism operations, hunting down and capturing or killing al-Qaida members, NBC reported. These operations are not considered combat missions, but they often involve the use of combat tactics.
OK, not combat missions ... :confused:

So "No Combat Troops in Iraq" means, actually, what?

50,000 Americans, or so, providing assistance to a military and security apparatus that has thin to little air capability.

Are there scout (OH-58D) or attack (AH-64) battalions/squadrons/troops in place as "non combat forces?"

Anybody know?

Two's in
19th Aug 2010, 23:00
You have to feel sorry for all the poor ba$tards who will still be coming back in a body bag due to "Non-Combat Related Wounds" just so the Politicians can score a few cheap points.

Ian Corrigible
20th Aug 2010, 12:39
Two combat aviation brigades will remain in Iraq to "advise and assist."

U.S. Combat Brigades Stay in Iraq Under Different Name (http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=4750200)

I/C