PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter down in west of Ireland

cTcPilot
18th Aug 2010, 17:06
Helicopter down in west of Ireland this afternoon ( Outside Westport city) Robinson R44. Anyone have any more details?

cTcPilot
18th Aug 2010, 17:32
Just heard all 4 POB are ok, 44 has collapsed skids and boom/ tail rotar damage though :{

Departed from the Westport city keys area and suffered engine failure between the city and clare island, forced landing onto rocky uneven coastline surface.

Blue G-reg machine! Perhaps from the north of Ireland? Anybody know who it was or have a pic?

helihub
19th Aug 2010, 08:29
Don't assume it was from Northern Ireland - there are plenty of G reg R44s based in "Southern" Ireland

highonsnow
19th Aug 2010, 11:16
Not that it matters much, but Westport would be considered more of a small town than a city, we have only Cork, Dublin, Galway, Limerick, and Waterford, while Kilkenny is debated year in year out whether it should be granted city status :) Just for the record.

All that aside, where can we see this report of the downed aircraft?

mr.plow
19th Aug 2010, 13:26
I live in the above mentioned city, there is no mention of any such incident on the grapevine here. The quay area gets plenty of r44's so it may have happened. I passed the area and had a look out, high tide, saw nothing. Nothing on the local or national media and in the silly news season a heli incident makes headlines.

Trans Lift
19th Aug 2010, 15:02
Unless he's stuck on an Island halfway to Clare Island! Oh the green and red of Mayo.......

Heli Fat
19th Aug 2010, 16:01
So what's the outcome chaps? accident or no accident? :ugh:

highonsnow
20th Aug 2010, 10:43
Word that I received from a friend in Galway:

"heard something on mid-west radio this morning about a private helicopter that had a hard landing in clare island", "no one killed though or anything"

As far as I know everyone walked away and was an incident rather than an accident.. (would I be right in saying that? Student PPL)