PDA

View Full Version : Type of Lasers pointed at aircraft????

aussie027
18th Aug 2010, 07:35
There was another report of this today in the Perth outer northern suburbs.

I am wondering can anyone tell me please what size/power/class/type of lasers these people/idiots are using to do this????

I know some astronomy lasers used on telescopes are relatively powerful and emit green light is it??

I am not sure how the common very. very low power cheap laser pointer/pen ,emitting red used indoors etc has enough output or range to hit an aircraft at thousands of feet altitude and if it did with a very weak light dot bigger than a few inches or even a foot in diameter if it is powerful enough to cause a problem???

I don't think the small one I have would even put a dot 100-150m away onto a surface.
The scattering and diffusion in the air at sea level is obviously high due to all the pollutants etc.

A high power military targeting laser sure. There was talk yrs ago of issuing visors to pilots to protect eyes against laser light.

The US developed a laser years ago specifically to target at the cockpits of aircraft that were about to or had infringed the restricted/no fly zone over Washington DC.
It was eye safe and would be seen as a large red ball of light out of the window when shined at the aircraft. US AOPA had an eg on their website of what it would look like to pilots.

There was talk a few years ago of customs clamping down on laser imports, whether that happened and against what type/class I'm unsure.

I'm also unsure as to why when I posted this the site turned the "a" in laser that I typed into a "@" symbol.:confused:

eocvictim
18th Aug 2010, 08:23
I've never seen a red lazer. Only ever been "targeted" by the green lazers so one would assume that they're the only ones powerful enough. Its worth noting that Lasers cant be seen from directly below unless you're enjoying the view while you should be flying; So most lazer "attacks" I've experienced have been anywhere from 3-5nm away. They are not your indoor toy type lasers.

I do know people who have purchased these in the past but say that its very hard to get them now. Not sure whether that means permits or bringing them illegally, however it appears they are restricted. Not that this seems to matter when you can make them easily.

tail wheel
18th Aug 2010, 08:44
I am wondering can anyone tell me please what size/power/class/type of l@sers these people/idiots are using to do this????

I know some astronomy l@sers used on telescopes are relatively powerful and emit green light is it??

Nope, sorry. Not going there on a public internet forum.

Someone may care to tell you via PM.

Console yourself with the response that no l aser should ever be directed at another person, and it is an offense to point any l aser at an aircraft.

...the common very. very low power cheap laser pointer/pen ...
can and do cause permanent eye damage over considerable range.