PDA

View Full Version : Multi IFR endorsment advice wanted :)

mar1234
18th Aug 2010, 05:55
Hi there, im after some advice, im a cpl + SEIFR currently doing my IR. Just trying to get a plan together with regards to multi ifr endorsment. Ive got a couple of options open to me and am wanting to know which would be most beneficial for future employment?

Option 1:
Hire a twin from a local club for about $420 an hour. +$ 650 for flight test. Then Build up approx 8-10 hours IFR multi PIC with money saved from option 2.

Option 2:
Hire a twin from a local domestic flight company for $600 an hour, + $1200 for flight test and OCA check with about 35 hours of line training at the end of it logged as command practice under supervision. ( No job prospect as they require 750hours to fly single pilot IFR )

Option 3:
Dont even bother with multi IFR yet...

welliewanger
22nd Aug 2010, 06:57
Hi,
I can't give you a definitive answer as I don't know all the variables, but if I had the same option (and with the benefit of hindsight, I know how many hours training it took for me (JAR license)) here's a breakdown of costs... By the way, I already had a multi CPL (about 10 hours twin time)

Option 1:
(19 hours training + 2 hours test + 9 hours PIC) * $420 + test fee $650 = $13,250
This gives you 30 hours twin time

Option 2:
(19 hours training + 2 hours test) * $600 + test fee $1200 = $13,800
This gives you 21 hours twin PLUS 35 hours = 56 hours.

Of course, I have no idea of the hour requirements under your legal system. I was on an integrated course, so I was flying frequently on instruments from about 20 hours. You need to take some realistic numbers for how much training you think you'll require and put that into the above equation. Then you'll be able to compare the two possible outcomes. With the numbers I've given you, I'd say option 2 is a no brainer.

But then, I don't know how many hours you'll need to pass the IR, nor do I know whether an IR will be of any use to you in your part of the world.
Hope that helps.

mar1234
22nd Aug 2010, 09:00
hi mate, thanks for your reply.

well im very current single IFR, so im hoping there wont be too much work involved with multi. im swinging towards option two aswell. As i think having an extra 35 hours Multi is more beneficial than 8ish PIC..

There is no minimum requirment for Multi IFR, you just need a multi rating and competancy check. so in theory i could do it in 5 hours ( i wish )

27/09
23rd Aug 2010, 08:29
mar1234

A couple of questions.
From your previous posts you are some way off the 750 hour mark. How do you propose to get those hours?

I don't see option two helping you achieve this. Also some of these Command under Supervision schemes don't always work out as planned. 35 hours hours of command under supervision probably doesn't get you that elusive job.

Option one is very much cheaper, disregarding the extra P in C time you mentioned. Also the training you would get a the local club will presumably be done by instructors who are regularly preparing students for the IR flight test unlike possibly the instructor at the flight company who is probably not preparing as many students for the flight test. I think you will get better preparation at the aero club.

What about an instructor rating to add a string to your bow to get more hours in order to get work as an IFR pilot. Use the money saved option in one. Do some extra multi flying as money permits.

Also I think the 5 hours you mention for your multi rating and IR is very optimistic. Remember you need 5 hours for the initial endorsement without any instrument training. The step up from a single (probably fixed gear and prop) to a light twin may be more than you estimate. Expect more like 15 to 20 hours for endorsement and IR training.

mar1234
23rd Aug 2010, 11:03
Hi there, you are quite right i am a way off the 750 hour mark, and the line training option wasnt a consideration to help towards more hours, more the fact thats its multi time in an ATO enviroment getting out of the comfort zone of the aeroclub.. As for the command under supervision, i agree ive been carfully watching a couple of guys who are going through a similar thing at the moment and picking there brains too. As for the training with the company, the lucky thing would be that id only be hiring the aircraft of them and all 90% of the training done with an aeroclub instructor.. its all very complicated. haha

Im almost at the end of my instructor rating (IR) ive got my test in two weeks, be glad when its over haha and ive also got my parachute drop rating and glider tow rating, so im trying to push every option.

The 5 hour thing was just an exageration, i already have a multi endorsement in the companies aircraft, along with a couple of other ratings with variable prop and retractable. But yes i agree there is a big step up, and i have budgeted for 15 hours plus a flight test.

welliewanger
24th Aug 2010, 08:32
27/09 makes some valid points, although it seems like you're well on the way with other endorsements. I agree that the extra flying time from option 2 may not be "loggable" PIC time. But as you say, it's time actually working at flying. A real eye opener. Although this won't get you your 750 hours, it is a step along that road. It'll also allow you to make contacts at other airfields in the right circumstances. If you spend your time chucking out meat bombers, you'll only meet meat bombers. If all you do is instruct, all your time will be around other instructors and students. The more time you can spend with the people you aspire to emulate, the better.

27/09
25th Aug 2010, 00:02
From what you've posted it would seem that it makes sense to do the multi IR in the cheaper twin. You will have money to do a couple of hours in the more expensive twin and your OCA and still have money left over compared to doing it all in the more expensive twin, plus you can still go and do the command under supervision stuff.