PDA

View Full Version : Instrument computer based training software

G_STRING
17th Aug 2010, 21:03
Not quite sure which section to place this question in, so will ask here. Apologies if it's in the wrong place..

I'm trying to get my head around instrument CBT programs at the moment, and can't quite understand what to do. I've purchased VORTEX, and in the dim and distant past, RANT.

The few instructions with them aren't enough for my dim brain to make sense how to actually operate these programs to do something substantial, like holding procedures for instance. (I can understand enough to see which buttons operate which instrument, but that's it)?!

I've been on the Sphaera website, (who produce the vortex software), to try to find instructions/a manual, but without much success.

Is there anybody out there who can help a (sort of) computer based training illiterate to make sense out of these programs, and use them for what they were intended?

Many thanks

BoeingDreamer
17th Aug 2010, 21:58
Why don't you just use Microsoft flight simulator?

Used Rant XL, and seems to have ok descriptions. Another software could be ASA, but that is more CBT, not interactive, just watching the explanations.

G_STRING
18th Aug 2010, 09:04
BoeingDreamer

Thanks for reply. I've used an earlier version of MS flight sim in the past, but never got much joy out of that either. It's long since been lost, and my computer isn't powerful enough to run the latest versions. (Can't afford a new one yet).

I would just like to make adequate use of the software that I have at the moment, rather than just wasting it.

Thanks anyway

Spendid Cruiser
19th Aug 2010, 00:53
Just concentrate on RANT for the moment. I'm unsure what you mean by learning to operate the software, the buttons to set frequencies, courses and control the aeroplane or pretty self-evident. What is good about RANT is that it contains a bunch of superb exercises that walk you through tracking, navigating, holding and arrival techniques and procedures. I suggest you start there as they contain all the information you need.

wangus
19th Aug 2010, 14:19
Agree with Splendid cruiser, 100%. I have to say RANT was the way for me. I thought, (just MY opinion) Vortex was pathetic. RANT allows you to not worry about flying the aircraft. Rather just interpreting the needles. Honestly, it was priceless for me, and I would say go back to it. NDBs holds become a non-event...
Flight Sim doesn't have ADF dip, and some of the coordinates are a little confused, meaning some approaches simply aren't accurate at all. (The Exeter NDB approach. DME is wrong when overhead the Beacon. Bournemouth departure to Thred. Fly it perfectly, and in FSX, you'll miss the intersection by miles.)

Instrument Flying Background To IR And IMC (http://www.transair.co.uk/product4.asp?CustomerID=12281241&ACBSessionID=ToyO6yXk8t1qU4zlYgtv&SID=2&Product_ID=660)

This book was recommended to me years ago, pre-IR, and while some of it is odd, it makes clear a lot of things. (As great as Rant is physically, I didn't find it's written explanations straightforwrad at all. Rather, gibberish, so I do sympathize.)
GOOD LUCK

G_STRING
20th Aug 2010, 20:22
Thanks for your replies.

Wangus, I'll certainly take a look at that book, thanks