PDA

View Full Version : Airworthy Liberator in the UK

Ferrari#27
17th Aug 2010, 19:18
As a schoolboy in the early 1980s living in the Cotswolds, I remember seeing a Liberator overfly my home one weekday afternoon. I cannot remember exactly when it was but was presumably between 1980 and 1984. The t'interweb tells me that there was a B24 at Blackbushe at about the right time but it appears that this never flew in the UK. The one at Cosford (now Hendon) was already on display and none of the others currently in existence appear to have been in the UK at the time. Can anyone tell me which Liberator I may have seen?

pzu
17th Aug 2010, 19:31
Don't know about early '80's, but B-24A Diamond Lil was at Cosford in June '92 see link below

YouTube - B-24 Liberator Diamond Lil at Cosford (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u5NEfxTC3E&feature=related)

PZU - Out of Africa (Retired)

virgo
17th Aug 2010, 19:33
Are you sure it wasn't a Shackleton Mk 1 (or T4) which has a similar outline - especially the large rounded fin-and-rudders ?

Ferrari#27
17th Aug 2010, 19:43
I remember seeing Diamond Lil landing at East Mids while watching some racing at Donington Park and that was much later.

Ferrari#27
17th Aug 2010, 19:50
I am also fairly sure it was not a Shackleton. My Father was in the Royal Observer Corps and I grew up looking at all of his old ROC Journals. My recognition in those days was pretty good and I was able to win prizes at it as an Air Cadet! Growing up in the Cotswolds, Shackletons were a fairly rare sight (as were Nimrods) as we were so far from the sea. I had to make do with VC10s, C130s KC135s and A10s. Much more activity then compared to today. The B25s at Little Rissington for Hanover Street were a highlight of my childhood but they were much earlier than my "B24".

treadigraph
17th Aug 2010, 20:17
A couple of ex Indian AF Liberators passed throught the UK in the early 1970s - presume that would be too early? One is now with Kermit Weeks.

The one at Blackbushe was dismantled in the hangar - I saw it through a crack in the door while Doug Arnold wasn't around!

JEM60
17th Aug 2010, 20:17
'Diamond Lil' was also at the very hot excellent Boscombe Down show. The date escapes me. I remember stopping my car to watch it flying near Aylesbury, Bucks, in company with The Fighter Collection B.25 Mitchell, on the way to the show. I saw 'Diamond Lil' at Oshkosh, Wisconsin, 2 years ago, with all it's turrets, and in camouflage. Looked much better than pink!!!

JEM60
17th Aug 2010, 20:23
Kermit Week's B.24 stopped at Duxford on it's way to the States. It was in 1975, and was/is called 'Delectable Doris.'

Mark22
17th Aug 2010, 20:41
I am pretty sure it belonged to David Tallichet.

It stayed for some time at Duxford...and would be your prime candidate.

PeterA

A shot from Ray Wood's collection.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Mark12/26B-24LiberatorTallichetDXRayWoodCollection-002a.jpg

Ferrari#27
17th Aug 2010, 21:39
Chaps. Thanks for your help. My online research had suggested that something, probably my memory, was not quite right: I am past 40 now afterall! I would have said that my sighting was while I was at home watching Blue Peter/Magpie/Newsround (or something like) after a day at grammar school which would make the time somewhere between 1979 and 1984. Also, I am not sure that I would have known what a B24 was in the early 70s if it was that long ago. Unless it was a secret CIA flight between Little Rissington and Kemble, and details of this are posted on WikiLeaks in the future, I guess this will remain a mystery. Thanks again. :)

jumpseater
17th Aug 2010, 22:21
The Duxford Liberator did fly on rare occaisions, I saw it (on the ground) at Duxford along with OHB's T33's. I seem to recall that it was owned by David Tallichet, and on arrival in the states was subsequently purchased by Kermit Weeks, or he may have purchased it here. Again I have a dim recollection that it was 'at risk' at Duxford due to a lack of money by its owner, hence it moving on. It was there for 3-4 years off the top of my head. I think if you did in fact see a Liberator, its likely it was the Duxford aircraft.

dakkg651
18th Aug 2010, 15:24
When did the Indian Air Force Lib destined for Cosford arrive?

That could have been early eighties.

Wiretensioner
18th Aug 2010, 15:40
Diamond Lil was at the 1992 ATI at Boscombe

Wiretensioner

treadigraph
18th Aug 2010, 16:53
The Cosford Liberator arrived in the mid-1970s.

trevor hope
18th Aug 2010, 20:08
The cosford liberators last flight was RAF LYNEHAM to the museum at RAF COLERNE,it was moved by road to RAF COSFORD when COLERNE closed in march 1976 :sad:

Thunderbird167
18th Aug 2010, 23:18
Last Flown 1974

From the history of the aircraft http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/collections/aircraft/aircraft_histories/74-AF-790%20Consolidated%20Liberator.pdf

7 Jul 74 Arrived from Rome at RAF Lyneham, Wilts for customs clearance at 17.35 having
overflown the air display at Greenham Common en route, making a low pass.

11 July 74 Following some minor repairs, flown to RAF Colerne, Wilts to join the aircraft collection
there as the runway at Cosford, the original destination, was thought too short. This 15-minute delivery flight ended the 41 hours of flying back to the UK.

Therefore unlikey to be the one at Hendon

The one that was at Duxford was HE771 which was delivered to USA from Duxford, UK. on Aug. 27, 1975.

So none around in the eighties

Stinky Pete
23rd Aug 2010, 19:31
Or could have been the B25 Mitchells that were involved in the filiming of Hanover Street? I remember seeing them at low level from Kemble to Little Rissington, although I could not be certain on the year....

treadigraph
23rd Aug 2010, 19:52
1978 - remember them at Blackbushe during Farnborough week.

Arclite01
24th Aug 2010, 10:45
I think more likely the Shackleton T4 from Farnborough which operated around there and Boscombe Down in the late 1970's early 80's

Arc

Shackman
24th Aug 2010, 12:53
Certainly we were frequently mistaken for Liberators by Americans when operating into US bases, but very rarely in the UK.

XR219
27th Jun 2014, 11:47
I doubt if Ferrari#27 is still lurking here, but another recent PPRuNe thread has reminded me of a very similar mystery of my own. I have distinct memories of seeing (on more than one occasion) a B-24 flying over Edinburgh circa 1984, maybe +/-2 years (if I could lay my hands on my old planespotting notebook, I could tell you the exact dates!). I'm absolutely positive it was a B-24 - I remember it was low enough to see the sunlight glinting off the nose glazing and that it was in the USAAF Olive Drab/Neutral Gray camouflage scheme. It sounds like it must have been the same one Ferrari#27 saw, but the question remains, whose Liberator was it? :confused:

mmatthej1
27th Jun 2014, 16:43
Is there still a Liberator at Cosford?

I made my first (most belated) visit there last weekend - unfortunately it had to be fairly brief, however I thought I saw all but no B-24 !

chevvron
27th Jun 2014, 16:52
Shirley Hanover Street was filmed at Bovingdon not Rissy.
Arclite: the Farnborough Shackleton T4 (called Zebedee because of the tendency for the tailwheel to bounce) was 'retired' to Strathallan in 1975.
Rich Rhodes practised many 'short' landings at Farnborough invariably ending up with smoking brake drums as they didn't want to repeat the fiasco of the Comet delivered there earlier.

mmatthej1
27th Jun 2014, 17:48
Don't call me Shirley.................

Innominate
27th Jun 2014, 18:11
Is there still a Liberator at Cosford?

It moved down to Hendon circa 2006.

Shannon volmet
6th Jul 2014, 13:46
Ah yes, the superb paint job by Gerry Collins. Brings back fond memories of Duxford in the early days before the idiots took over!:ok:

parabellum
7th Jul 2014, 02:40
If anyone is interested they are restoring a B24 to a non flying state here in Victoria, Australia,
the website is: Home | B-24 Liberator Restoration Australia (http://b24australia.org.au/home.html)

Apparently the B24, originally intended as a civilian aircraft, had a weakness in the way the wing was constructed and a piece of flak breaking more than three(?) of the span wise 'strengtheners' (can't think of the correct name now, longerons doesn't sound right!), would cause the wing to fold up!

Arclite01
9th Jul 2014, 14:06
Spars spanwise - Ribs Longitudinally

I'd have thought it unlikely to have 3 spars though !

I think that it's a bit of an 'old wives tale'......................

Arc

MX Trainer
9th Jul 2014, 22:24
Interesting info here:

LiTOT: B-24 design analysis (http://legendsintheirowntime.com/B24/B24_Av_4507_DA.html)

It does state that the original design was as a bomber.

Mx

DaveReidUK
9th Jul 2014, 22:57
Apparently the B24, originally intended as a civilian aircraft, had a weakness in the way the wing was constructed and a piece of flak breaking more than three(?) of the span wise 'strengtheners' (can't think of the correct name now, longerons doesn't sound right!), would cause the wing to fold up! http://pacificwrecks.com/aircraft/b-24/44-41421/b24-collision-wing-damaged.jpg

ExAscoteer
13th Jul 2014, 15:02
I've only just noticed this thread.

During the early 1970s my late father was a member of the Cambridge University Gliding Club and stored his Kestrel 19 at Duxford.

I distinctly remember a Liberator there in 1975 that was paired with the B17 Sally B.

It was an ex Indian machine and was refurbished in natural metal with black fins with a central vertical white stripe.

A photo' appears on page 67 of Action Stations Vol 1 by Michael J F Bowyer.

parabellum
14th Jul 2014, 06:19
I think that it's a bit of an 'old wives tale'...................... don't think so, the person explaining it to me was one of the team re building the one here in Australia but it is highly possible that I haven't explained it very well! DavidReid's picture looks pretty convincing too.

stevef
14th Jul 2014, 07:16
This thread had me digging out my B24 Liberator at War book by Roger Freeman as I remembered something about one losing a huge section of wing and still managing to return to base.
It was a RAF Coastal Command Lib V of 224 Sqn and had 13 feet of the left wing shot off by German ships near the Spanish coast on Christmas Day, 1943. It made it back to St Eval with full control wheel deflection!
I was part of the RAF Colerne Museum team when KN751/HE807 arrived in 1974. The crew said it was full of defects and was unfit for further flight so I guess it had been a miserable ferry trip. Aircraft Illustrated's Martin H*****n still owes me some pictures from when I showed him around the aircraft a few months later. :sad: