PDA

View Full Version : Easyjet Volcano compensation

k3lvc
16th Aug 2010, 14:52
After reading about KLM's kickback on claims over the weekend it geed me into action to sort my outstanding claim from EZY. Refund for my GVA-MAN on 16/04 was eventually given on 30/06 but the claim for alternatives dragged on.

First conversation this pm went along the lines of "we tried to write to you on 1/7 but we didn't have your email address" - I've flown over 50 sectors with them this year all booked online and had submitted my claim by email :ugh:

Resubmitted claim and reattached the receipts - within a few mins I've a response as below

"As you will be aware, easyJet’s obligations to repatriate you are outlined in EC Regulation 261/2004. Whilst The Regulation entitles passengers to be re-routed at the earliest available opportunity it does stipulate that our obligations to re-routing are to be on a ‘comparable’ basis, that is to say, air travel. This means that easyJet is unable, and not obligated, to agree to meet any costs associated with overland transport or by sea."

They may however cover one night of accomodation but will advise me seperately of that.

My claim was

Hotel - 1 night in Lausanne (flight was canx at 13:00 by which time no trains to Paris)

Train - Lausanne - Paris - Caen

Taxi - Caen Station - Port

Ferry - Caen - Porstmouth

Hotel - Portsmouth

Hire Car - Porstmouth - York

Various sustainance along the way (McD's level rather than Gourmet cuisine in Paris)

Total is just shy of GBP500 and got me home for mid afternoon on 18th.

By my recollection flights from GVA with EZY resumed on either 21st or 22nd in which case they'd still have been liable for more in hotels in GVA area than I'm claiming.

Has anyone any more positive stories on tactics to use to gain a greater element of reimbursement (both AMEX and travel insurance have pointed me back to EZY in the first instance)

ExXB
16th Aug 2010, 15:44
1. How much was your ticket, including all extras, taxes, etc?

2. How much was your claim for rerouting via non-air means?

k3lvc
17th Aug 2010, 10:19
a) About £80

b) About £500

But that wasn't the point of the post. The point being that EZY are trying (as I would) to wriggle out of the obligations given to them by the EU.

Do I agree that they should have to ? - probably not

If the powers that be say they should am I going to claim it ? - of course I am

By their reckoning I could/should have stayed put and enjoyed the Swiss sunshine and they would have fed/watered me for a further 4/5 nights (which given the lack of accomodation would have cost considerably more than my claim and at the time could have been for an indefinite period).

Interesting that their site sets out boxes for you to complete on additional costs incurred for transport, accomodation, sustainance etc but they then deny being liable for these.

fincastle84
17th Aug 2010, 11:29
Sue them through the small claims procedure & never fly with them again. They're living up to their 'Sleazy' name.