PDA

View Full Version : Accent reduction or English pronunciation help

Miranda44
16th Aug 2010, 12:51
Does anyone know of a good way to make my accent sound more British or American? I need to pass a test and haven't been able to find a good course for English pronunciation help. Thanks!

gauravprakash007i
16th Aug 2010, 13:27
There are a few places that do this coaching.
Depends where you want to get it done , there is one here in Ft.Lauderdale , US - pm me if you are interested - its hard to find one locally.

Neptunus Rex
16th Aug 2010, 14:22
Miranda
You give your location as London. You should be able to find a good elocution teacher nearby. The teacher will also guide you on English phrases and expressions. Some classic English movies will give you a laugh and help as well, with actors like Alec Guinness, David Niven, David Attenborough and, the finest English voice of all, James Mason. The best ladies would be Julie Christie, Jenny Agutter, Jacqueline Bisset, Helen Mirren and, of course 'M,' Judi Dench.

RichardH
17th Aug 2010, 15:23
If you wish to learn ENGLISH pronunciation then learn in ENGLAND and not from our ex colonial cousins across the pond! They have some very strange ideas. As Winston Churchill said two nations separated by a common language.

Start by watching the film "My Fair Lady"!

As Neptunus Rex says there are plenty of schools in London, Oxford, Stratford Upon Avon etc.

Tinstaafl
17th Aug 2010, 15:38
I've always thought Richard Burton had a great voice & accent.

But if you really want to play around with accents & pronunciaiton, try a strong Shetland accent for size. It makes Glaswegian sound like BBC's received english in comparison.

forget
17th Aug 2010, 15:39
I've just read your question out loud and it sounds fine to me. :confused:

Leezyjet
17th Aug 2010, 15:50
You can type the word's you are struggling with into this website :-

Dictionary.com | Find the Meanings and Definitions of Words at Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/)

and it gives you an option to listen to the word if you click on the little speaker thingy, although it is in "American" English :eek: - but it's free and you can use it at home.

Although it is quite immature, it is still amusing to get the computer to say the dirty words........:E

:)

UncleNobby
17th Aug 2010, 17:16
English - drink tea, eat crumpets and go to cricket matches!
American - drink soda, eat hot dogs and go to baseball games!

If you English is fluent accent is unimportant. Speak slowly and clearly. Know the phonetic alphabet pronunciations and the professional terms. You will hear all kinds of accent on frequency once you start to fly.

Wait, there's a test to see if your accent is English or American??????

HLJHLJ
23rd Aug 2010, 00:57
Mayflower College in Plymouth, and English Teacher Oxford both do Aviation English and should be able to either tailor some lessons for you or put you in touch with a tutor.

Steve888
23rd Aug 2010, 01:50
Just find a good book and learn it from that.

5035TY5RSpg