PDA

View Full Version : EK Staff Travel Confusion

Mr Good Cat
16th Aug 2010, 11:52
Hi Guys,

A friend of mine is joining soon as an FO and has asked me whether his kids are eligible for Business Class on staff travel. I've tried to find the info in the contract and the employee handbook / staff travel manual but it's not clear (surprise!).

Anybody help? I'm referring of course to both Annual Leave Tickets AND Cat A/C. Info from current FO's with kids appreciated.

Thanks, :ok:

MGC.

skyvan
16th Aug 2010, 12:18
F/O Travel class:- Economy upgradable to Business for adults and 16yrs+, Economy only for under 16. That is for all tickets, ALT or A/C.

Mr Good Cat
16th Aug 2010, 12:25

777boyindubai
16th Aug 2010, 13:18
Skyvan is spot on. :ok:

Fart Master
16th Aug 2010, 13:47
Although, provided one adult stays in Economy with the kids the other adult(s) can upgrade to Business.....Not ideal, but can be done.

Aussie
16th Aug 2010, 14:15
Define what is meant by ECONOMY upgradable to Biz? You buy econ and if room exists in biz you can get upgraded if you pay the diff?

jackbauer
16th Aug 2010, 14:22
This refers to a leave ticket which is free. It's an economy confirmed ticket and if there's space you go in biz class.

skyvan
16th Aug 2010, 14:31
@ Aussie: If you are on a cat A or C ticket, you can buy either an Economy class or Business class ticket.
If you buy the Economy class ticket, then that is the class you will travel.
If you buy a Business class ticket, you will travel Business class if there is space available, if there is no business class space you will travel Economy.
There is no facility to upgrade your ticket at the ticket counter if Economy is full, so you have to make the choice a day or two earlier which class you want to travel vs what risk of getting bumped off you are prepared to take.

It is hard to be succinct and precise in writing, yet in practise it is quite simple.

Dubaiforever
16th Aug 2010, 16:33
I think they are talking about the annual leave ticket, which is economy class upgradable in business for adults and 16yrs+.

however, When I did my interview they said that F/O can buy business class ticket (A and C?) even if your kids are less than 16 yrs.
Am I right???

thanks

The Turtle
16th Aug 2010, 20:20
if you're an FO, and your kid is less than 16, they ride in economy.

less than 13, one of the parents get to ride with them.

Fart Master
17th Aug 2010, 05:07
Regarding the Cat A&C (ID 90 & 80 equivalent), if you book business but have to travel economy then you will be rebated the difference (After you apply through staff travel)

Fred Garvin M.P.
17th Aug 2010, 07:35
That's why we travel ZED fare on Luftansa anymore as opposed to EK. All the kids can travel in business and the price is comparable. Hell of a lot more comfortable than economy when traveling with the kids.

atiuta
18th Aug 2010, 07:05
News to me Turtle.

Any children under 16, then one parent must ride in the back with them.

Alternative is to send your children ahead, YPTA or UM and then fly yourself later on. Makes a mockery of having family.

MrMachfivepointfive
18th Aug 2010, 13:58
This may sound decadent for some, but it's how many guys do it. Your domestic helper or nanny is entitled to discounted travel. She and your noisy offspring entertain Y, while you and your wife enjoy the comforts and serenity of J.

Praise Jebus
18th Aug 2010, 14:51
The number of interpretations of staff travel expressed here certainly supports the title of this thread.
Kids less than 12 are UMs and must have an adult in the same class with them when on sub-load. 12-15 year olds are YPs and the parent can state that no supervision is required, so they can sub-load on their own or in their own class as long as it is a single sector. This was a change late last year, I have done it twice now. Firm tickets are similar if you are with them and they are YPs, then state on the TRIPS app that they do not need supervision and they can be in Y with you in J etc. If they are less than 12 and you are on the same firm flight, then one adult has to be in the same class. (If you have a 16 year old then they can be the adult). That was the regs in Jan 10.

Fred Garvin M.P.
19th Aug 2010, 11:57
Silky, that's not quite true. ALT/CAT C does not entirely guarantee you a seat. They can still bump you. It's happened to me out of JFK. If your kids are under 16, they do not get business class, as an FO, regardless of whether you buy CAT C or not.

harry the cod
19th Aug 2010, 16:44
Right said Fred, or should I say that Fred said right!

If you're an F/O and kids under 16, the ONLY way you're going to all sit together in J class on an EK ticket is to buy a full fare!

Highly recommend Lufthansa and you can even check chances of getting on with the smiley faces when accessed via ZED trips.

Harry

CR9
19th Aug 2010, 17:04
Hi guys...... I see a couple of you are mentioning Lufthansa as a good option. For the upgrade to J class are the gate/ticket agents doing it on a regular ZED fare automatically if there's room, or is there an option to buy J class ZED's on them?.... Thanks

Fred Garvin M.P.
19th Aug 2010, 17:58
You have to buy the J class ZED. I've never been upgraded on them without buying the J class ZED.

atiuta
19th Aug 2010, 20:11
Back to the 1st post, the staff travel manual is perfectly clear.

Mr Good Cat
20th Aug 2010, 06:08
Back to the 1st post, the staff travel manual is perfectly clear.

Okay, well I did have a good look on the kids issue but obviously not well enough...! :ouch:

Cheers for all your help guys, I'll direct my buddy to this thread.

MGC

fredsmith
30th Aug 2010, 01:52
For a prospecitve FO, does anyone happen to know if a fiancee (unmarried) would qualify for annual passes, ID90, ZED or any other type of discount travel? I dont think she will appreciate me hauling her out there and then leaving her there to come back to US on annual pass...! Thanks!

Wizofoz
30th Aug 2010, 03:28
fred,

She'll appreciate being hauled off to jail even less!

Co-habitation and extra-marital sex is illegal in Muslim countries (yes, of course it happens) so there is no way a company is going to consider a fiancé a spouse for ANY purpose. You will not get a visa for her or be allowed to have her live in company accommodation, let alone get ID travel for her.

Plenty of couples have had to have "shotgun" weddings in order to come here- the bells may be a-ringin' for you!

Sataybox
31st Aug 2010, 03:39
Fred, plenty of western expats live with their girlfriends and without any trouble. It's like drinking: even though it's allowed to drink alcohol, you're not allowed to be drunk. But if you don't make trouble, there's no problem.

If your girl moves in with you, they WILL eventually find out but no one will care as long as you don't cause trouble in any way and her visa arrangements are sound. Many people in this situation get on a Doha flight "visa run" with all the hookers and other dodgies. It's so simple and does the trick that the arrangements are set up purpose made for this visa-renewal. More money in the pocket for them.

As for travel, make sure when you join you add ALL of your "brothers" and "sisters" to your family list for travel benefits.

Wiz, I thought you weren't ever coming back here? What happened?

fredsmith
1st Sep 2010, 03:53
Sataybox, thanks for your input. These are very important considerations and your feedback is much apprecated.