PDA

View Full Version : Fire spotting job ad

avnut
16th Aug 2010, 03:42
I'm looking into the WA fire spotting position (Dept of Environment & Conservation) listed last friday on AFAP. However there's no mention of how to apply, and I can't find the job listed on DEC or WA govt websites.

Can anyone point me to the right place to apply, or at least the original job ad?

mustman
16th Aug 2010, 04:50
Couldn't see anything on the AFAP add either. Link to a website but didn't give job number.

There were a couple of phone numbers listed. Give them a call and ask where to send your resume.

N4sir
16th Aug 2010, 04:52
For Specific Inquires: Please contact Greg Simpson on (08) 9771 7922

aussie027
16th Aug 2010, 05:29
I applied to do this over 20yrs ago and was one of the finalists they were picking from that year.
What type of aircraft/how many do they fly now for this role???
I cannot find any info on their website or by doing a google search.:confused:

avnut
16th Aug 2010, 05:35
I'm not in WA so trying to avoid a toll call unless necessary. Web search number would indicate the job is posted on WA govt job site but no luck with that.

Aussie027 - there's a couple of threads about this job in previous years. They seem to be operating Champion Scouts (upgraded Decathlons?) from about 3 locations.

Torque Roll
16th Aug 2010, 05:41
From the research I have done they have nine Decathlon's. There's a video on YouTube that might be of interest, here's the link:

YouTube - CALM Firespotting 2003-4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t_oVfz3LCY)

Cheers

lethalw
16th Aug 2010, 05:49
They fly Scouts now, from my knowledge have bases at Dwellingup, Jandakot, Bunbury, Manjimup & Albany.

Recent discussion with those in the know indicate that they require 10hr command on similar size tailwheel aircraft....and that the jobs usually get heaps of applicants and fill quick....

aussie027
16th Aug 2010, 06:05
Thanks, who makes the Scout?? Never heard of it.

Wanderin_dave
16th Aug 2010, 06:34
There was a great thread about this job when it was advertised last year. Definitely worth searching for.

Bird-dog
16th Aug 2010, 06:43
I've tried calling Greg Simpson all day but the phone has just rung out each time. Does anyone have an email address to send a CV to?

Bird-dog

an3_bolt
16th Aug 2010, 07:03
Hey Aussie027,

Google is your friend :ok::

Scout Specifications (http://www.amerchampionaircraft.com/newac/scout/sctspecs.htm)

aussie027
17th Aug 2010, 04:41
Thanks for the info guys. :ok:

avnut
17th Aug 2010, 08:22
Any luck contacting Greg Simpson or finding out how to apply?

Closing date is this Friday but I don't see how they're going to get a good spectrum of applicants if there's no way of applying! :confused:

Captain Nomad
17th Aug 2010, 08:32
I'm not in WA so trying to avoid a toll call unless necessary.

Looks like if the job is not worth a toll call to you, you may not get it...!

Would be very surprised if it is someone other than a local with contacts who gets this job. It comes up every year and 'everyone' knows that it is coming...!

Wildpilot
17th Aug 2010, 09:25
I was based in Perth last year and applied months before the advert and had chatted with Greg a couple of times on the phone but was turned down. I heard they give the jobs to very low hour guys/girls and guess that is why I and many others got the friendly no thank you letter. Also a number of guys returned from the previous season so there were very few slots. I'm busy flying elsewhere now so will not be applying although I would love to get some more tail wheel time.

If you can't work out how to get hold of Greg Simpson then you have failed before you start, I have his email address and there is not a chance I'm giving it out. And if it is the cost of a call you are worried about you don't deserve it!

Scouts are made by Champion, nice aircraft, love flying tail wheel.

multime
17th Aug 2010, 13:57
However last year after the last Simpson mass exidess, (2nd year running) re manjimup, they started calling ex spotters on a contract rate.
$40+ per flying hour if i recall.
Despiration.
M

whiskey1
17th Aug 2010, 14:52
Send application to:
People Services Branch
Locked Bag 104
Bentley Delivery Centre
WA 6983

Dot point CV 2 pages maximum with numbers of 2 referees.

Yes you have to buy a stamp.

ContactMeNow
18th Aug 2010, 01:10
However last year after the last Simpson mass exidess, (2nd year running) re manjimup, they started calling ex spotters on a contract rate.
$40+ per flying hour if i recall.
Despiration.

Glad to see the WA state government pays the award rate....:ugh:

Captain Nomad
20th Aug 2010, 03:30
It's Western Australia mate! Can't rush these things you know...! :E

(Just joking so don't take offence)

Trojan1981
20th Aug 2010, 03:33
Email- for all those last minute applications:E

[email protected]

Fax (08) 9334 0478

Flyin
28th Aug 2010, 03:12
Hey guys, for those who applied, have you heard back from DEC? I'm keen on applying for this next year and to see what kind of experience those who were accepted had. Had a friend who flew for DEC for a season and said the flying is just amazing, beautiful views and challenging with smoke from the forest and was a great first job.

Thanks and good luck! :ok:

solowflyer
29th Aug 2010, 01:22
I enjoyed my time spotting and was a great first flying job. Don't expect a reply for a few weeks, Its a government department and things don't happen quickly. I belive there are a few seats going this year though so good luck to all who applied.

Martin VanNostrum
29th Aug 2010, 01:42
I bought an American Champion Scout from DEC last year and made up the following for a couple of friends of mine to help them transit to flying a tailwheel. Hope it helps.

Caution: Use the given figures for information only. Do not base flight calculations on given data.

American Champion Scout overview:
The Bellanca Aircraft Corporation initially produced the Scout, and it is a derivative of the Citabria and Decathlon aircraft. It is not certified for aerobatics but was designed for utility roles such as bush flying, glider towing, pipeline patrol, fire spotting etc. The Bellanca Corporation went into liquidation in 1981 and finally the aircraft designs became the American Champion Aircraft Corporation and came into effect in 1990. The line of ACA aircraft can trace their lineage back to the designs of the Aeronca Champ design of the late 1920s. The scout is designated as 8GCBC.
Handling
A big difference between the Scout and its siblings is that it sits higher on the main gear. Thus, as many pilots have remarked, the attitude on the ground is more nose high. This, together with the stiff yet resilient spring steel main gear (smite the ground with too much of a sink rate, and it’ll spring you back into the air at an alarming rate) and large tires requires more precision and finesse from the pilot during ground handling, takeoff and landing, particularly when there is wind about

The good aspect of Scout behavior on the ground and in ground effect (it floats a lot more than the Decathlon or Citabria) is that it is over fairly rapidly in the hands of an adequately competent pilot.

Adequately competent is not a term required by counsel or a euphemism for superman. Any conventional-gear airplane requires better speed control, directional control and control coordination than the average tricycle-gear airplane. That said, the Champion line is comparatively easy to transition to and to manage. Speed and attitude control are key. And recognizing when wind speed and direction are beyond one’s competence is an essential element of safe operation. 
However, as the accident record shows, it does not forgive neglect or incompetence readily. Most accidents and incidents occur on or close to the ground, and involve directional control problems from the wind and because of poor judgment or flying ability.

Decathlons are noted for their heavy aileron forces. The Scout, with its longer wing, is even more taxing. Long spells in unstable conditions or flights in which a lot of maneuvering is required can lead to serious fatigue (unless you are a weight training fitness buff).

Pitch forces are quite light. In the hands of some pilots, even too light: there have been a number of instances/incidents/accidents caused by pilot-induced oscillations (PIOs) a/k/a porpoising. Rudder forces lie between the two. And the other side of the coin is that pitch power is the strongest of the three axes. In certain conditions, such as crosswind landing, roll and yaw control can be inadequate or too difficult to apply.

Aileron spades, which are aerodynamic aids to increase roll control and reduce the level of effort, have been offered for several Champion models in the aftermarket. ACA now offers them for the Scout, even as kits for retrofit to used airplanes.
Cabin design
One of the greatest attributes of all Champions is visibility to the outside. Both front and rear seat occupants benefit. Seats are not luxurious, but they are adequate for pilots of most sizes for all but the longest-duration missions. 
Placement of instruments, gauges, controls and switches, including (or especially) electrical accessories may take some getting used to for pilots new to this category of airplane.
Keep it simple. Perhaps the greatest appeal of the Scout is its relative simplicity. This includes the powerplant and attendant systems. About as bullet proof as airplane pieces go, they are easy to support in relatively remote spots. Most components and systems are fairly easy to get at, too. For instance, the belly pan is a continuous piece that is easily removed to check lower fuselage members for corrosion and to inspect control cables, pulleys and fairleads

Accident record
The majority of Scout accidents are, as mentioned above, related to handling on or near the ground. There is no pattern that singles out the Scout. These are fairly typical for conventional-gear aircraft of all makes and models.

However, it is worth noting that half of the Scout’s landing accidents occurred “in the bush,” or away from airports. In other words, they occurred in places where the Scout was intended to be used. These can be inhospitable places full of traps for wind spurts or for momentary mental lapses.

The single fatal accident recorded in the past five-and-a-half years was the result of loss of control during low flight. 
On the whole, the record of the Scout is benign. Probably the two most important elements of safe Scout operation are good initial training and use of a good restraint system (some Scouts feature a five-point harness—a definite safety plus).

Owner Comments

The 8GCBC Scout is a good honest plane, and in my opinion, used Scouts are the best value in the high-power two-place utility market at this time. When asked what it is, I sometimes tell strangers that it’s a Citabria that’s been on steroids, although this isn’t really fair to either the Scout or Citabria.

As for handling, in the air, the Scout is heavy in roll, light in pitch, and medium in rudder pressures. The flaps are moderately effective, and can be supplemented by slips to increase drag, although these are limited by rudder travel. Stalls are straightforward, with a pronounced break and some tendency to fall off on a wing. Crosswind component is somewhat limited by rudder and aileron effectiveness, but is still more than most people will want to try. The “spade” ailerons now available from American Champion may improve response (I haven’t flown them), but watch your head on the ground! I carry scars from a Husky.

Ground handling is more demanding than in Cubs and Citabrias, despite the nearly identical cockpit (to the latter). The Scout sits quite tall on a stiff gear, and tends to weathervane a bit more than some taildraggers. Transitions to takeoff and to landing require close attention and prompt application of controls to keep things straight. The brakes/tires (8.50 x 6.00 on double-puck Clevelands, similar to a Cessna 185’s) are extremely effective, and can put the prop in the dirt very easily. These props are hard to find and expensive.

Over-the-nose visibility is fairly good for a tall taildragger, but pilots transitioning from Citabrias have to work at getting the nose up for three-point landings.

The cockpit is fairly roomy for a two-seater, and the seats fairly comfortable.
Use known fuel fill against time at a known fuel flow rate. The fuel is on or off only and feeds from both tanks. Individual selection of tanks is not possible.

Specifications ( 8GCBC Scout)
General characteristics
Crew: one pilot
Capacity: one passenger
Length: 23 ft 0 in (7 m)
Wingspan: 36 ft 3 in (11 m)
Height: 9 ft 8 in (2.9 m)
Wing area: 180 ft² (16.7 m²)
Airfoil: NACA 4412
Empty weight: 1,400 lb (635kg)
Loaded weight: 2,150 lb (975 kg)
Useful load: 750 lb (313 kg)
Max takeoff weight: 2,150 lb (977 kg)
Max Take Off: 975 Kgs
Max Land: 975Kgs
Basic: 635 Kgs
Baggage: 45 Kgs
Fuel: 272 Litres
Usable: 265 Litres

Powerplant: 1× Lycoming O-360-C1G, 180 hp (134.2 kW)

Performance
Cruise speed: 97 kts (at 55% power)
112 kts (at 75% power)
Extended Range Fuel tanks: 265 liters
Cruise at 75% power: 40 liter per hour
Endurance to empty tanks: 6.6 hours
Range: (30 mins reserve) at average 100 kts: 600 nm
At 55% power: 700 nm

Airspeed Limitations:
Speed Marking
Manoeuvring (Va) 100 kts None
Normal Operating Range 50-113 Green Arc
Flap Operating Range 45-78 White Arc
Max Structural Cruise (Vno) 113
Caution Range 113-141 Yellow Arc
Never Exceed (Vne) 141 Red Radial Arc

Power plant:
Engine: Lycoming 0-360-CIG (Constant Speed Propeller)
Propeller: Avoid operation between 2000-2250 RPM
Demonstrated Cross Wind: 15 kts

Performance:
Max Speed Level 120kts
Cruise Speed 75% Power 112kts
Rate of Climb Sea level 1,075 fpm
Service Ceiling 14,500 ft
Best Rate of Climb 66kts
Best Gradient Climb 45kts (2 stages of flap)
Stall Speed Flaps up 50kts
Stall Speed Flaps 27 (full) 45kts
(Assume power off for stall speeds)

Take off Performance Ground Run Total to 50ft
Flaps Up 198 M 333 M
Flaps 16 degrees (2 stages) 156 M 322 M
Assume Max Gross Wt, Standard Density, T/O tail low

Climb out over obstacle at 45 Kts to 50 ft

Landing Performance: Total from 50ft Ground Roll
380 M 128 M
(Full Flap, Approach Speed 52 Kts, Full Stall 3 pointer, Max brakes)
CAUTION: Aircraft can be easily nosed over with excessive heavy braking. Apply with caution.
(These distances and speeds are demonstrated performance. Recommend higher speeds, if required, and therefore distances will increase)

Weight and Balance:
Aircraft Empty Weight: 645 Kgs
Pilot: 82 kgs
Passenger: 82 kgs
Baggage: 11kgs
Fuel: (215 litres) 155 kgs
Total Weight: 975 kgs
Aircraft is within Loading Envelope at these weights
(215 litres = 5 hours 22 mins to empty tanks. No reserve)
Fuel: To assure max useable fuel capacity fuel tanks must be filled slowly during last 40 litres each side. Normal operation is to fill tanks until fuel starts to “burble” and stop. This will normally give a capacity of 5 hours. Only fill to maximum for extended trips. If fuelled to maximum fuel will vent from fuel vent.
Normal venting from left wing with full tanks on ground and climb will stop after 1 hour. The reason is the use of non-venting caps. Also if the cap is not on properly fuel will vent out around the cap reducing aircraft planned range. Change seals regularly using normal Cessna ones. Will last one year. Silicon grease every 100 hours or every month.

FUEL

Left Right
For Read For Read
E 0 E 0
¼ 30 ¼ 35
½ 60 ½ 70
¾ 100 ¾ 110
F 132 F 132

Main tyres 8.50 x 6.00 Pressure 22 Psi
Tail tyres 8 inches 2.80 X 2.50 40 Psi

Aircraft Operation:
Wings have adequate clearance when pushing back out of the hanger if both doors are fully open and main wheels are centered over cement gap.
When checking engine oil do not let the access door clips spring open. Oil is Ash less Dispersant (W100). Maximum is 8 quarts minimum is 6 quarts.
Engine Start:
Mixture Rich
Carby Cold
Throttle closed or cracked just slightly
Prime approx 6 primes for cold start
Propeller clear
Master on
Magnetos on
Start Button Start
Oil Pressure moving
Ammeter Charge
Radios on
Transponder on
Note start time
Lean mix slightly on ground
Taxi:
With a tailwind keep stick forward during taxi. With a headwind keep stick back during a taxi. Use aileron into wind during taxi. If unsure what’s in front of the aircraft “waddle” using rudders and look out the side; or stop. If unable to see properly over the dash during taxi ensure all clear in front before boarding aircraft and adopt the waddle method of taxi.
Before Take-off:
Use Checklist
Before run up mixture rich
1800 RPM check for 200 max RPM drop, 50 RPM max differential between mags.
(Magnetos: Left are on low side of engine. Right are on topside of engine.
If plugs are fouling on ground
After engine start lean mixture and return to rich prior to run up.
Normal run up 1800 RPM; if fouling suspected increase power to 2200 RPM and lean mixture, then check mag drop.)

Check carby heat operation.
Check Prop operation. Only allow slight RPM drop before reselecting fine pitch.
Engine instruments within green band during run-up
Do not expect oil temp to move. Allow 10 mins before run up if cold.
Take off can be made with 0 flap or stage 1 or stage 2. Generally use 0 flap on long runways and 2 stages on grass.
Flaps:
1 Stage = 7’
2 Stage = 16’
3 Stage = 21’
4 Stage = 27’

Take-off:
As power is applied keep stick back then start easing forward enough to raise tail. For the shortest ground roll, keep the tail low and allow aircraft to lift off at minimum speed (45 kts with 2 stages flap).
For a normal take off, raise the tail to a level flight attitude and lift off at 55 kts.
Climb:
Retract flap
Reduce power to 25” 2500RPM
Mixture rich above 75% power setting
Airspeed 75Kts
Climbs can be made with full throttle, but reduced power setting is desired.
Best Rate of Climb Best Angle of Climb
Flaps Up Flaps 14 (2nd notch)
Airspeed 75 Kts at SL Airspeed 61 kts
70 Kts at 2,500 ft
65 Kts at 5,000 ft
60 Kts at 7,500 ft
Lean to best power when full throttle develops les than 75% power at altitude.
Cruise:
When at desired speed reduce power to 23” 2400 RPM to 24” 2400 RPM
55% power = 21” 2250 RPM
“Loiter” speed 17” 2250 RPM
Check engine instruments, ammeter, flight instruments, area QNH set, and correct altitude as per clearance, Navigation, fuel check.
Carby ice is a problem even if temperature is 35 degrees.
Performance:
2,500 ft 2600 RPM 73% Power
2500 RPM 65%
2400 RPM 60%
5,000 ft 2600 RPM 69%
2500 RPM 62%
2400 RPM 56%
7,500 ft 2600 RPM 72%
2500 RPM 58%
2400 RPM 53%
10,000 ft 2600 RPM 61%
2500 RPM 55%
2400 RPM 50%
Lean mixture using EGT. Reduce until indicator is in 3 o’clock position.
Descent:
Mixture rich or maintain rich side of peak EGT
Throttle reduce as desired.
Reduce Manifold Pressure 1” at a time every 1,000 feet and leave prop at 2400 RPM
Circuit: 20”/2400 RPM
Airspeed as desired
The descent should be made with enough power to maintain cylinder head and oil temperature in green arc. If possible, avoid windmilling the engine with the propeller. In other words do not make a full power off descent from altitude.
Landing Approach:
Do not allow RPM to remain in “red” (2000-2250 RPM) band. It is ok to transit through while reducing or increasing power.
With reduced power use carby heat but return to ‘cold’ prior to landing.
Base leg 2 stages of flap (when well within white band) speed 70 kts
Final leg full flap and progressively reduce speed to arrive ‘over the fence’ at 55 kts for a 3 point landing. Increase speed during gusty winds for added protection. Make a full stall landing so stick should be almost fully back on touchdown. Keep stick back during landing roll. Reduce drift to zero prior to touchdown or use wing low method as desired in a crosswind. Use aileron as required throughout landing roll. Use brakes only towards end of landing roll.
For wheeler landing (2 point landing) maintain speed of 65 Kts. Fly aircraft down to just above runway surface; don’t reduce power until aircraft is level with runway, now ease power off and aircraft should touchdown on main wheels. If there is a slight bounce ease forward (don’t ‘push’) on the stick and aircraft should stick. If a bad bounce, or not happy with landing, GO-AROUND! Once landed keep aircraft straight and as it slows down ease back on stick to gently fly tail wheel on.
Balked Landing:
Throttle full open
Carby heat check cold position
Airspeed 65 Kts
Flaps up in stages
Trim re-set

Emergency Procedures:
Engine Fire (Ground):
Mix idle cut off
Fuel valve off
Master and Mags off
Evacuate aircraft
Extinguish fire if possible

(In flight):
Fuel valve off
Master off
Accomplish emergency landing

Electrical System malfunction/Fire:
A steady discharge of the ammeter indicates an inoperative alternator system.
Turn off unnecessary electrical equipment to conserve battery (e.g. transponder, radios)
Master switch may be turned off.
If indications of fire:
Master switch off
All electrical switches off
Land as soon as possible

Engine Failure on Take-off:
Throttle closed
Flaps full
If time permits check:
Fuel shut off valve check on
Mix Full Rich
Carby Full Hot
Magneto switches Both ON
In general plan to land within a splay of 30 degrees either side of nose. Do not attempt to turn back to runway unless sufficient altitude.

Engine Air Restart:
Airspeed 70 Kts
Magnetos both on
Mix rich or lean per altitude
Fuel valve check on
Carby heat full hot
The engine starter may be engaged in flight should the engine stop windmilling.

Forced Landing:
Airspeed 54 Kts (maximum glide)
Glide Range
10,000 ft 14 nm
5,000 ft 7 nm
2,000 ft 3 nm
When committed
Mixture Idle cut off
Fuel shut off valve Off
Master switch Off
All electrical switches Off
On final approach use speed 61-65 Kts

Ditching:
In addition to above, also jettison cabin side door
Land into wind parallel to swell
Flaps up landing to allow higher nose attitude on touchdown
Do not stall prior to touchdown.

solowflyer
29th Aug 2010, 03:12
Excelent post Martin. As you have said the legs will fling u back in the air really quick if you come in too fast especially on the black top, so fly the numbers acurately that way you wont look like a compleat tool and as was described to me when learning the 3 things to remember when landing "keep it straight, keep it straight, keep it fuc$en Straight.":ok:

Flyin
30th Aug 2010, 07:52
Clarification purposes hey? Did it sound promising Subversive1? :ok:
With regards to the numer of hours, I'll be assuming bare cpl hours? Like mentioned earlier on, it's a great first job.

Trojan1981
30th Aug 2010, 11:18
I hope its a good first job, but I couldn't from the ad how many tailwheel hours are required to be competitive (min 10 PIC is all that was specified). I was speeking to someone who did the job a few years ago and he loved it. He said that some years there have been very experienced applicants, so competition was tough.

calmaashs
31st Aug 2010, 02:28
It was my first job, great gig. i got on with 220tt , 13 tailwheel command and no insider contacts. the other guys hired while i was there ranged from 200 - 2500 hours. all different personalities , home states and ages. so just apply and see what happens!

good luck

Bird-dog
31st Aug 2010, 07:02
Martin,

An absolutely fantastic post mate. For all those people that get a call it will be very useful.

Bird-dog

faction
31st Aug 2010, 13:19
Is the sim ride in stage 2 or just psychometric testing?

abovetheclouds89
31st Aug 2010, 15:00
Sim ride hehehe .....

I'll see you there Subversive! Ps PM me if you want to share a car from Perth (I'm coming from the east coast)

Bird-dog
3rd Sep 2010, 01:36
Hey abovetheclouds and Subversive. I'm coming over too from Brissy. If you want to do a car hire share pm me.

Cheers

Bird-Dog

solowflyer
3rd Sep 2010, 11:15
Roxy the process is as advertised send in a cv with what is required and wait a few weeks you will then either get a letter saying yay or ney. Next step will be a group get together induction where you will get a check flight and class room presentatins of how things work and exam to see if you were listning. this will take about 3 days and you will then get called up letting you know if you are sucessfull or not.

Well thats how it was a few years ago things may have changed.

Can pm if you want to know more.

Trojan1981
3rd Sep 2010, 23:14
Yep, that's on the money:ok:

Bird-dog
5th Sep 2010, 13:17
Its pretty much how solo says, except there was no letter - instead the Chief Pilot called and basically said that the CV got you through to the next round.

solowflyer
13th Sep 2010, 09:18
This is part of a PM I sent to one of you blokes who is going to the induction.

It is realy just a meet and greet and check flight with a bit of training into the opperations.

Check flight is fairly basic few steep med turns, stalls etc and practice forced landing nothing major. You will do about 50hr ICUS befor they let you lose so don't stress too much. Is no remote flying as such u will be based at either Manjimup, Bunbury, or Jandakot.

All I can say is dress tidy casual get involved and meet and talk with all the guys. It is fairly laid back and a good social time just don't act like a knob and your set. Don't worry if you don't get in straight away as they start everyone in stages I did not start till Feb. It probably wont hurt to do a few laps in a tail dragger and Chris is an instructor so can sign you off for a bfr at same time if u are due. make sure your asic and medical are all current etc.

Hope that helps

YPJT
13th Sep 2010, 09:31
I think they specifically mention on the application that you cannot have any colour vision restrictions on your medical.

Warren G
14th Sep 2010, 04:24
Also did this as a first job and can back the other posters up in that it was a good one. I started in Feb asa i heard there were some people leaving and managed to score the job over the phone with a basic CPL (maybe 200 hours or so) and no tailwheel or anything.

I realise this is not the normal process but worked out well for me, stayed 3 months or so then landed my second job under similar circumstances, I'm now out of the game (flying) due to financial reasons predominantly but would give the firespotting another go if between jobs one day as was a good experience.

If you get the opporunity I highly recommend it, beautiful part of the world and fairly relaxed atmosphere, some good travelling to be had on your days off aswell (if Manjimup based) The pay was award so not a huge amount but enough to live on if single given the cheap accomodation provided. Take some warm clothes especially if staying til end of season and an easy going nature and you'll get along well due to to varied people you get working with you.

Hope that helps somewhat, and yes Greg Simpson is who you'll likely be dealing with in Manji, good bloke IMO.

If you're after and tips of nice places to visit/travel experiences when you're down there let me know. A PM may be best.

Cheers

Wazza

Trojan1981
13th Aug 2011, 08:46
I am surprised there is no discussion on this yet, they advertised yesterday. New EBA means a decent pay rise too. For those guys looking for a first flying job, this is a very, very good one.

Aussie Bob
13th Aug 2011, 09:54
I to have an ex CALM "firespotter" that I won by tender a bit over a year ago. When I picked it up I got a rundown on the fire ops.

The Scout is a seriously good aeroplane and by my thinking this is an excellent job to get. Good luck to all that apply.

CALM are the largest operator of the Scout in the world and have 10 on a 10 year rotation. My Scout is a 2000 model and the newest aircraft I have ever flown!

multime
13th Aug 2011, 12:13
This weeks thursday Australian. $50,000 to $73,000 pa. Although its seasonal not bad dosh to fly a scout. Think 6 years ago wages were around the $30,s. Huge change. Its boring and not that hard either. Just wish calm would get with the times, rolls of maps in eastings and northings. When you could just mark it on a gps. Ten times more accurate.?

Trojan1981
14th Aug 2011, 00:14
Eastings and Northings? DEC have their own map grid system (COG System) and it is by far the fastest and most accurate system I have come accross, even better than that I used in the ADF. There is also GPS backup (sometimes two GPS). This is a great first job; it's well paid and you get to work with a good bunch of blokes. If you get to Manjimup you also inherit the pilot's bar (The Dog House) :) .

Flying the spotter circuits can get boring after a while, but the air attack supervision tasks can be exciting, particularly in a big season. You get lots of bush strip and extreme Xwind experience too. Greg is also a very fair man and a good CP. The aircraft are also maintained well. Lots of young women in the area to keep the pilots entertained too, just don't take them back with you...:E

Turban
14th Aug 2011, 00:59
Won`t have the paperwork done by the 26th :{

I was waiting for it... damned !

solowflyer
14th Aug 2011, 09:02
don't get too excited 0.5 Pro Rata so $29000 - $36500 + other add ons eg meal allowance travel time penalty rates for on day off etc. Still very good first job. Was my first job and loved it.

aussie027
13th Aug 2012, 02:35
Has anyone who applied heard anything yet?? Anyone gotten a call or a letter???

the_rookie
13th Aug 2012, 03:39
For the job in 2011?

propelled
13th Aug 2012, 11:10
i applied also, haven't heard anything yet.. its only been a couple weeks, and being a govt role, i wouldn't be worrying too much yet...
good luck for those who also applied!
cheers

aeromatt
13th Aug 2012, 13:58
Nothing yet. Looking back at the old threads, people started getting calls in the second week after applications closed. Going by that time frame we should hopefully hear something this week.

Good luck guys :)

BSD
14th Aug 2012, 08:11
Jeepers!

Wonderful to hear this operation is still going.

Good luck to all applying.

This was my first flying job back in 1974; that was 22,000 hours ago.

Manjimup was great, Nannup a laugh, Margaret river, an undeveloped backwater. Best fun ever was 3 months based at Walpole, using a paddock on top of a hill as the strip.

Be a laugh sometime to create a roll-call of all ex fire-spotters and to see where they are all now. Another 4-5 years and I:suspect: might do it as a retirement project.

BSD.

BSD - Rego of the first 'plane I got paid to fly

solowflyer
15th Aug 2012, 00:14
BDS here is a start for your roll call. First paid flight CVI 18th Feb 2008. Now fling Ag in North QLD

VH-XXX
15th Aug 2012, 01:26
I'm not in WA so trying to avoid a toll call unless necessary.

Sorry, but this is what's wrong with society these days. Happy to send off an email but can't find $2 for a phone call to a potential employer ! Suggest that if you can't spruke for a phone call god only knows how you're gonna make it there for an interview :ugh:

Trojan1981
15th Aug 2012, 02:54
Nice one Soloflyer, still having fun with real flying!

BSD, off field landing are the best part of the job :ok: .

BSD
15th Aug 2012, 12:45
Me; started 13/12/74 and did 2 seasons. Alec Macdonald gave me the job after I hounded him at at Jandakot. It was Airwork Australia then who had the contract and Greg Simpson worked in the office at the time. There were already 3 pilots in Manjimup when I joined, all from NASA at Cessnock.

Subsequently ended up in the UK, flew an Aero Commander 500a, then the Handley-page Herald, the CL-44, 737, 747, 757, and 767.

Best off-field landing for me; landing on the main road (gravel) into Northcliffe to pick up a forestry officer who needed to view an out-of-control, control burn.

Happy days. To those of you that get the job, enjoy every minute.

BSD.

Trojan1981
15th Aug 2012, 13:23
Best off-field landing for me; landing on the main road (gravel) into Northcliffe to pick up a forestry officer who needed to view an out-of-control, control burn.

Some things never change! :ok:

Not strictly my first flying job, FMN was the first I flew, in September 2010. Only the one season but lots of fun. Not really interested in civvy flying, at least not full-time, so I'm consulting and flying Aeros and warbirds on the weekends.

tom010agl
17th Aug 2012, 11:08
Anyone who applied a couple weeks ago hear anything from them yet?
:ok:

Goodfellas
21st Aug 2012, 07:40
Go west they said. Find a job they said. No one ever mentioned the liver damage it would cause.

aussie027
29th Aug 2012, 03:35
It has been a month this Fri since applications closed, has anybody who applied heard anything at all???

solowflyer
29th Aug 2012, 08:44
Patients Grass Hopper. Is a government Dept things take time

aeromatt
29th Aug 2012, 09:34
Yeh,

Got a call last week asking me to come down to Dwellingup for their training course next month.

Matt

Trojan1981
29th Aug 2012, 13:30
Patients Grass Hopper. Is a government Dept things take time

I'm sorry to be a spelling nazi, but I just can't help it (Patience, not patients as treated by medical professionals).

Everyone who is under consideration probably should have heard by now.

aussie027
30th Aug 2012, 03:50
Thanks Matt.
Congrats, I am here in Perth too, didnt hear a thing so I guess I missed out then. Dammit.

Any idea how many they called for their course or spots they have open??

Toby89
2nd Sep 2012, 10:44
I got a call too stating that I've been selected for 4 days of ground school and flight screening. From the follow up email i received it looks like 6 people made it to that stage as for how many they'll take i am not sure of.

SierraAlphaMike
26th Aug 2013, 03:26
How did everyone go this season?
Applications are now closed as of a week, anyone else apply?

SOPS
26th Aug 2013, 09:56
Was my first job, based in Nannup. 1978. Loved every second.

desert goat
30th Aug 2013, 08:51
Yeah I applied too, no word yet though. It sounds like a pretty good way to spend the summer.

Trojan1981
2nd Sep 2013, 02:00
There were already 3 pilots in Manjimup when I joined, all from NASA at Cessnock.

Hey BSD, was one of those IF?
He's the Bunbury Senior Base Pilot and a top bloke. I believe he trained at NASA. :ok:

desert goat
2nd Sep 2013, 10:24
Anyone else hear anything yet?

SierraAlphaMike
3rd Sep 2013, 05:47
Still no word yet desert, will post here if/when I do.

mappers
6th Sep 2014, 18:40
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I'm hoping someone who was selected in a previous season of fire spotting can tell me a few things about the training selection at Dwellingup?

- What should I expect?
- How many people were on your course, and how many of them were selected for jobs (and how they/you were selected if you know)?
- What would you recommend me doing before I went down?

I am going to do some ccts and g/h in a scout before I go, just curious if there is any more I can do.

Thanks in advanced for any response.

BlackPrince77
6th Sep 2014, 23:34
Find your own wheels down to Dwellingup from Perth, they supply accommodation, food and everything else once you're there.

Runs for roughly 4-5 days, most of it is classroom stuff, they have lessons and talk about their operations and about firespotting. Also they talk about the aircraft they use ACA Scout (8GCBC). There are about 3-4 exams each day for roughly 2 and a half days, the final exam consists of weight and balance question. You are assessed on these exams against the other candidates.

You will be there staying with the other candidates and the returning pilots from the previous season (everyone has to do the Dwellingup camp every year (as in all pilots they have) no matter how many seasons of fire spotting they've done). The guys from previous seasons will unofficially be 'guaranteed a job' while the new guys (maybe 8 of you) will be fighting for the spare spots they need. (Usually less than 5).

Brekky, lunch and dinner are supplied by them, and are purposely done this way so they can see how you interact and socialize with other people. Make sure you are aware of what you say in public and how you present yourself. In saying that, be yourself, because if you are a dick that no one wants to be around, they would rather see that there and not half-way through the season when no one wants to work with you. (If you get the job you'll know what I mean, or should I say, who I mean assuming they're still there :oh:)

So you're there for about 5 days, the first 2 and a half are the theory and the last couple are for the check flights. They only last for an hour, but they give quite a few days buffer for bad weather.

As far as the check flight goes, they know 99% of people haven't flown a Scout before, but obvs the requirements for the job mean everyone has flown a tailwheel a/c before. So some basic tailwheel skills must be there. The flight will involve departing for some airwork involving general handling and getting a feel for the aircraft in some turns and moving onto stalls etc. Then doing a few PFL's and returning for circuits. The Scout is tricky to land at first because of its large main tyres making it very bouncy on touchdown. If the weather is good you'll probably do your check flight at Dwellingup which is a dirt strip so that will work in your favour. If the weather is bad you'll possibly do the circuits at Bunbury which is sealed and not the easiest for guys who don't have much tailwheel time and never flown this aircraft before. In saying that its pretty easy to pick up, most guys will bounce the first couple landings which is fine, as long as you keep it safe and under control, the check pilot will be happy. They're looking for improvement too and someone that is motivated and learns quick. You'll get about 3 circuits at the end, if you stuff up all landings, don't worry, you WON"T be the only one haha. People tend to worry at that stage because they think the check flight is the be all and end all of whether you get the job, its not! There are a number of areas they look at for each candidate and a general consensus is achieved and the successful candidates are selected from that.

After the check flight you're fine to go home, expect a call within a few weeks.

I wouldn't bother doing any stuff in a scout before hand unless you are really keen to burn some money, its not needed, but up to you. Sure it will probably help a little, especially over the others, but your choice.

aeromatt
8th Sep 2014, 15:53
BlackPrince has hit it all pretty much on the head. I hear the majority of pilots have moved on this year so there may be as many as 6 or 7 new guys needed, the majority in Manjimup but there may also be a spot in Bunbury and Jandakot.

Good luck if you've gotten a call to go to Dwellingup, you couldn't ask for a better first job. :ok:

ruddegar
11th Sep 2014, 01:23
Does anyone know where I could get a hold of the DFES maps they use just to get a feel for them before the three days of ground school?

mappers
11th Sep 2014, 15:03
BlackPrince you are an absolute champion. This is exactly what I was hoping in a response. Thank you so much for taking the time to give such a detailed response.

Ruddegar - ill see you down there mate :)

bonzaii
22nd Sep 2014, 12:36
Ill see you guys down there :)

Mappers, ruddegar, have you heard anything else yet? One of the guys at ACFT mentioned something about some training already completed at manjimup, hopefully thats the last seasons crew.

tjtailwheel
10th Aug 2018, 06:09
Anyone apply for this year's intake? I'd expect a few less guys going back for a 2nd season than previous years.

How long after applications close until they typically contact applicants? Is it a phone interview before the flight screening or a 'hey, you've been selected for screening, be here on this date'?