PDA

View Full Version : 777 Fleet at QR - Questions

Iver
16th Aug 2010, 01:21
A couple of questions about the 777 fleet at QR. Yes, I have looked at the 5,000 page "Getting Hired by QR" thread and I still have a few questions. And yes, I have read that many, many A320 pilots are trying to get to the 777 fleet to no avail - that is quite disconcerting... That said, any insight would be appreciated:

1. Do the vast majority of newhires on the 777 have Boeing time? How often would an Airbus-only experienced pilot get a 777 slot?

2. Do the 777 pilots fly both the pax version and the cargo version of the 777? Do the 777Fs fly to any different destinations than the pax version?

3. How many more 777s are on order and due to be delivered over the next few years?

4. Probably pure speculation at the moment, but who will likely fly the 787s as they arrive over the next few years? Open to any pilot on any fleet who can bid it? Will having Boeing experience be helpful to getting on that fleet? Any updates on the 787 programme (beyond the uncertain arrival given Boeing's delays)?

5. Lastly, how does pay work for widebody flying at QR? Do pilots get paid the same on the 777 as they do on the A346 and A330 for comparable routes? I presume the 787 would likely pay in the same category if that is correct.

Serious replies appreciated (vs. the typical QR bashfest). PMs also welcome. Cheers

vserian
16th Aug 2010, 03:16
Thanks
I wanted to ask the same question!

Capt Krunch
16th Aug 2010, 07:26
Iver
1. Do the vast majority of newhires on the 777 have Boeing time? How often would an Airbus-only experienced pilot get a 777 slot?

Yes the vast majority have Boeing time. There has been a few guys hired direct entry with only airbus time but these are few. We also have many off other types (F/O's with MD80 time and the like)

2. Do the 777 pilots fly both the pax version and the cargo version of the 777? Do the 777Fs fly to any different destinations than the pax version?

Yes we fly both, there is no difference, although at the present time they have elected to send most of the experienced Ex Singapore Airline Cargo pilots onto the freighter on a 3 month freighter 3 month pax roster (but thats not going to last long). Yes the Freighter has some different destinations than does the Pax.

3. How many more 777s are on order and due to be delivered over the next few years?

suggest you read some aviation news. presently we have 20, with 1 aircraft per month until reaching 32-35.

4. Probably pure speculation at the moment, but who will likely fly the 787s as they arrive over the next few years? Open to any pilot on any fleet who can bid it? Will having Boeing experience be helpful to getting on that fleet? Any updates on the 787 programme (beyond the uncertain arrival given Boeing's delays)?

The powers to be will select who they want. it all depends on who is making the rules at the time. With regards to updates, read some aviation news.

5. Lastly, how does pay work for widebody flying at QR? Do pilots get paid the same on the 777 as they do on the A346 and A330 for comparable routes? I presume the 787 would likely pay in the same category if that is correct.

thats been covered many times already. there is NO difference with regards to pay scale regardless of your fleet, B777, A346, A330, A320's all on the same pay package.. Although the long range / widebody fleets make a bit more at the end of the month due to the difference in hours of flight compared to hours of duty.

Poisoned by Compromise
Krunch