PDA

View Full Version : Basic CPL (A) Jobs

Dreamflyer1000
15th Aug 2010, 11:10
Hi guys, as above, what jobs are available for 300hr basic CPL guys such as myself?? with majority of those hours flown in 172 and PA28R aircraft, and in the 'upper levels' (6-10,000ft). I'm endorsed on CSU and Retractable.

I dont care where i have to go, I dont care how long it takes, I dont care what I fly; I've funded those 300 single hours on my own, and now its time to find someone who is prepared to let a fresh CPL learn more in their aeroplane...I have every intention of doing a MEIR when funds allow, but the bank man says now is not that time.
Id love to beat round in a C210, or C206 for a while!

Any help, ideas, slagging, would be most appreciated..

morno
15th Aug 2010, 11:29
You're kidding aren't you? You went and spent all that money, with no idea of what job prospects are even out there?

Dreamflyer1000
15th Aug 2010, 11:36
no, i went out there and spent that money in the hope of following the dream. All im simply asking at the moment, is where people are heading in general. The research Ive done doesnt really show alot around for people like me, but I know there must be. Job prospects from when I started, to job prospects now, are very very different. At least Im trying buddy.

arnellis
15th Aug 2010, 11:38
GG & Mr Hat have a very good list of operators to start with - http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-aviation-questions/383870-information-regarding-top-end.html

But whatever you do, dont stoop to working for free. :ok: Good Luck.

Dreamflyer1000
15th Aug 2010, 11:41
arnellis, thanks heaps. thats something for me to start chewing on!

Is the Darwin scene still ticking along? or is that the soon to be 'no go' area...?

Cessna Master Beta
15th Aug 2010, 12:05
Best advice ever is get out there and meet face to face . Its all part of the adventure, email ,phone and letters dont work .

Dreamflyer1000
15th Aug 2010, 12:33
thats what I heard! so thats the plan!

Ipecac
15th Aug 2010, 21:36
Summer is coming which generally means summer tourist jobs start popping up. As has already been mentioned the best thing to do is get out there and knock on doors. The AFAP website is good to keep an eye on but just try everyone

Air Carrier Info for Oceania - PILOT CAREER CENTRE (http://www.pilotcareercentre.com/AirCarriersByRegion2.aspx?id=10)

I've found that link to be usefull for finding operators though the list isn't exhaustive. Unfortunately there are a lot of jobless pilots floating around at the moment who've got more time then you so be prepared for disappointment but operators have been known to give jobs to the first pilot to walk in the door so you never know your luck.

Good luck :ok:

Ando1Bar
15th Aug 2010, 22:11
with majority of those hours flown....in the 'upper levels' (6-10,000ft).

Make sure you don't add that to your resume. I'm suprised the pprune cohort haven't picked on you for that yet. There's a thread worth searching for about writing your CV, make sure you check it out if you haven't done so already.

Wally Mk2
16th Aug 2010, 00:09
I'm well & truly past that step of the flying rung but some things remain the same in aviation. Ambition, determination & hope, have them & you will get there:) The journey of aviation from the onset of the flying bug has a funny way of weeding out those not genuinely interested.
I wouldn't pay too attention to the likes of 'morno' we each have our reasons as to how/why we got where we are today. I spent 600+ hrs worth of pvt flying before I went commercial but that suited me at the time as it was purely money based as in when I got it I spent it!:) There are no hard & fast rules as to how you amass hrs just keep adding to that tally, it's yr business how you want to go about it, right or wrong:-)
What 'A1B' said is probably good advice even though yr proud of that 'upper level' flying it seems to bother some whom are at the other end of yr CV so best not make that a point.
Having read a few other threads based on the same subject perhaps go get some C210/C206 time (self funded) as that seems to still be the base on which starting a career begins especially up Nth.
I feel one day cadet-ships will be the only viable way to that shiny jet job, how sad, progress I guess!:sad:.

Good luck it's still nice to hear/read that youngsters are doing (building hrs) out of the shear love of flying:ok:

Wmk2

like_that
16th Aug 2010, 00:44
I just found my first job no more than a month ago and have had a few friends finding other jobs all over the place... best thing to do is be active, speak to anyone and everyone, go to your local Aero Club, best place to find people who know people. Although some advice may not be up to date you can work that out for yourself.

Network its the best and only way given the glutton of pilots, don't sit on AFAP waiting to be the first to email a company.

There are jobs out there!

K3nnyboy
16th Aug 2010, 01:21
I'm well & truly past that step of the flying rung but some things remain the same in aviation. Ambition, determination & hope, have them & you will get there

Ambition: Yes I've got that
Determination: I think I am determined.
Hope: Errrrr~~~~yea im still not employed with the industry, but seems like it's picking up again slowly

Started flying a few years ago, but then GFC took its path and yes...everything went down the hill. Picked up another set of skill/qualification outside of aviation, but realise flying is really what I wanna do so planning for a return.

Don't give up man, just like the old saying "There's a will, there's a way" somewhere along that line...

good luck to all job hunters!!

KB:ok:

Ando1Bar
16th Aug 2010, 02:33
If it helps guys, I know six guys who this year have scored their first job. Despite bare CPLs and in some cases a couple of hundred hours less than other applicants, there was one thing that gave them an advantage - 200 series Cessna time. As mentioned in an above post, get checked in a 206 and hire it for 10 hours PIC. Then go a door knocking.