PDA

View Full Version : a quick hello...a few questions

Adam1919
14th Aug 2010, 08:53
Hi everyone,

Just doing the the couteous thing of saying hello and yes I am very much a 'wannabe'.

I am a 29yr old male with a successful career in business with a lifelong ambition to become a pilot. Now this has become a career changing ambition.

I know its a long journey but I have recently started my PPL at Multiflight and have got 4hrs in so far along with soon to take my first two exams (Air Law and Met).

My question is age related in that despite knowing I must take one step at a time am aiming, like many on here, to have a career out of it - either as an instructor or an airline pilot. I am aiming to have completed the modular programme by my 35th birthday - giving me 6 and a half years. I will be working though my PPL over the next 10-12months but then plan to take time out to do the rest (Night rating, CPL, MEP, IR) where possible and hour build inbetween Spain/UK.

What I would like to know is what I am doing realistic time-wise and more importantly that I have not started too late? What I mean is have I still every chance of landing a first commercial job at 35 years of age? May seem a silly question to some but I am course investing a lot and would be interested in anyone's story about how they started, how long it took and how old they were what they got their first job as a pilot?

I live i the real world and want to ensure my goals are realistic.

Any comments are welcome.

thanks and I look forward to chatting with you all

Adam

victorc10
14th Aug 2010, 09:45
Hello Adam,

I think your plans are very realistic, I got my first proper commercial job at 35 having changed career, started training when I was 30, instructed for a while and some other odd jobs along the way. I also know a lot of people who have done this at the same age and older, 43+ when they started first job.

Good luck to you,

Victor

andrewhpf
14th Aug 2010, 10:09
Hi Adam,

What you'll find is that there are plenty of stories out there of guys who started late and now fly the big jets. It's certainly possible for you to succeed, and the proof is here (http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/4372-age-problem.html)

However, you should also take these stories as perhaps an exception rather than a rule. The way I look at it is that all the guys who do bomb out after the big career change, and end up back where they started, are not likely to come to forums like this and tell everybody about it. What I'm saying is, I think you have to be prepared to work pretty hard - probably harder than those younger than you - and be under no illusions as to what you might have to sacrifice to get there.

I should point out that I do not offer this advice first hand, but I've spoken to plenty of pilots who've made it, and who haven't, and the underlying theme to all of their stories was that of a long hard slog.

For what it's worth though, good luck, and if I WAS to offer some first hand advice, it would be to not be easily discouraged by a lot of the negativity that finds itself on these forums.

It's tough, but if you want it bad enough, there's every chance you can make it.:ok:

Adam1919
14th Aug 2010, 18:48
Hi, thanks very much for the replies.

That's really helpful as I believe its important to have goals and want to aim for being commercially trained.

I believe I can do it but will be doing one step at a time.

if anyone else has any comments or has been in my situation/age and achieved what I am hoping to do I would be interested to hear from you.

thanks again
Adam

crazydud2000
15th Aug 2010, 09:40
you can do it as long you give me your money.
dont you think there are enough pilots looking for job?

JB007
15th Aug 2010, 10:14
An example of what andrewhpf was saying from Crazydud2000!

Keep your goals realistic, at 35 years of age there are many airlines in the UK that would appreciate your life experience, but these will be the turbo-prop operators, the opportunities of the bigger jet salaries and conditions may not be an option. Keep that in mind when thinking about a return on your investment. During the good-times with lots of movement within the ranks, a command is highly possible for you in a reasonable time-frame at this level. Don't be put off by this, having done both, it's more rewarding flying than sitting in straight lines for 4 hours+!

With 20 something cadets paying to fly jets and possibly been the better option for the accountants with their big bonds and low salaries, its difficult to judge how the next upturn will play out - so who knows...

driftdown
16th Aug 2010, 14:43
Well I will step up and say I tried and did not make it. Finished in 1995 so that dates me.

My advice FWIW is if your heart is set on a career change then keep an open mind. Plan on the cost and add a fair bit more for contingencies, always keep in mind that if it does not work out can you "afford" to lose the money and if loans are used then is there a means of repaying them. Remember outside factors may influence whether you get a job as hiring requirements change and retaining a medical is an added factor.

A backup career option that you can revert to pay the bills and live, is IMO vital. Instructing was not an option for me but it could be for you.

Whatever you choose, I wish you good luck

Adam1919
16th Aug 2010, 19:00
Thanks everyone.

Valid comments about some negativity on the site as the more I read some people are a little 'glass half empty' or at least that would be the view from what they say.

ROI is not the main reason I am doing this, I should replace that with 'paying my bills'. At the moment I have a good job in business and I live a decent living, married to an accountant means this has been this way for a while. I want to become a commercial pilot for the love of it not for the money, I probably earn more now than the starting salaries of some FO.

If I can realise my goals i will view it like this:

Just pass my licences but never get a job - Achieved a life long goal and flying will be a hobby.

Pass all my licences and secure an average commercial/instructing flying job - Same as above but great to earn a living from something I love too.

Pass all my licences and eventually get a job with well known airline - My ultimate goal in life.

So as you can see I have thought about this and also what happens if I fall short of my ultimate dream, there will still be achievements. I am realistic as you can see but know I have a long way to go. My first hurdle is successful completion of my PPL which I am hoping to complete by summer next year, then onward from there. If worst case scenario is I have my licences, owe some money and can still continue with my career I can live with that and be proud of myself.

thanks to everyone who made constructive comments and took their time to post a message, it really helps. Regs on here muct get a little fed up of wannabes like me asking the same questions with high aspirations but I cant speak for them or the posters, I just wanted to know what I wanted to know and your answers have given peace of mind, on a realistic level of course - who knows whats round the corner in life. If you can go for it, you always should in my book.

cheers