PDA

View Full Version : Battle of Britain Lace Panels

Brianf127
13th Aug 2010, 16:16
I am researching the Battle of Britain Commemorative Lace Panels that were made by Dobsons and M. Browne.

http://i33.tinypic.com/2cf9yly.jpg

To date I know the locations of some 30 of the 38 that were produced including 19 in the U.K.
e.g. Norwich Cathedral, Hendon, Southampton etc., would like to locate the missing ones particularly those presented to Winston Churchill and King George VI and the one that got "mislaid" in Canada.
Would like to hear from anyone regarding them even if it just confirms my existing data.

circle kay
14th Aug 2010, 12:58
Brian,

I remember my now passed on Brother-in-Law talking about being involved in the production of them when he was an apprentace. I will ask my sister if she has any more info.

Brianf127
14th Aug 2010, 15:15
Thanks circle kay.
Some of the people involved were the designer Harry Cross, two draughtsmen, Messers Herod and Jackson, punch card operator Alf Webster and bobbin winder Harry Butler.
I'm hoping to flush out a couple more panels this year to mark the 70th anniversary of the battle.

beckyscott
20th Apr 2011, 15:35
I have been looking on the forum page and understand that you are researching the Battle of Britain Lace panels .I bought one last week in the uk .I have been looking at various discussions as to where exactly all the panels were made ,in Darvel or Nottingham. Am finding the whole history quite hard to follow and confusing. I would be very happy to share any info I have on the panel I have acquired and have been in touch with Bill Rowe . I would be interested in how I know whether my panel is a "bastard" panel or not. I also understand that some are worked with finer threads than others could that not perhaps be an indicator of which factory made which panel.