PDA

View Full Version : A320/21 FADEC issue

drpep
12th Aug 2010, 23:32
Evening all,

during final prep before start today in HER the skipper and I noticed that the ECAM engine parameters on no 1 engine were still green rather than the usual Amber crosses. On commencing ENG 2 start, after checking we had APU bleed and switching to IGN, to our surprise, ENG 1 started to spool up! Even though both master switches were off! After confirming that both engine masters were off and exchanging a few shocked glances we immediately switched off APU bleed and returned selector to normal. No1 thankfully started to spool down with expected ENG 1 start valve fault. This repeated itself several times. After contacting our company maintrol and reseting an EIU with the problem still presenting itself we decided to start ENG 1 first. No further issues came to light during a very normal return journey.
There is no doubt that our team of engineers will get to the bottom of it to rectify the problem however rather than waiting until I'm back on that particular aircraft I wondered whether any other A320 pilots have had this happen to them and whether any light was shed on it's cause?

Cheers

Antunes
13th Aug 2010, 00:44
Hi drpep,

during final prep before start today in HER the skipper and I noticed that the ECAM engine parameters on no 1 engine were still green rather than the usual Amber crosses

This scenario occurs when the p/b FADEC GND Power, located on the maintenance panel, is on...

I don't know if it lead to this abnormal engine start but it might be a clue...

Best regards,

Antunes

Dan Winterland
13th Aug 2010, 02:40
That will çause the the engine parameters to be displayed, but it shouldn't lead to the undemanded start. It just provides an alternative power source to the FADEC for maintenace purposes instead of relying on the engines own FADEC generator.

mcdhu
13th Aug 2010, 08:44
Been on the 'bus a wee while now (since '98) and never seen or heard of that! But then I'm not surprised; the 'interesting' thing about it is that just when you think you've 'got it' sorted, it does something to make you realise you haven't - and probably never will have.

Keeps you on your toes!

Cheers
mcdhu

TyroPicard
13th Aug 2010, 10:06
Interesting... my first thought would have been the MAN START pb...

drpep
13th Aug 2010, 11:11
The powers that be have paired me with the same aircraft again this evening albeit with a reassuring 3 hour delay. I'll have a chat with engineers, find out the root and solution and will report back over the next day or so.

Cheers

Drpep

Torque2
13th Aug 2010, 11:35
It happens when you have an EIU fault or maintence message. The EIU fault allows power to the start circuit and it will turn exactly as you say without using the Eng Master. Did you have an EIU caution?

Bumpfoh
13th Aug 2010, 11:40
drpep,

no personal attack or armchair quaterbacking here just interested whether you had direct engineering input to your obviously confirmed defect as you described it or were you at an unmanned (engineering) out port relying on maintrol input.?

Reason I ask is info dispensed from maintrol often has a press-on itis tinge to it at the expense of legal "documented" (read AMM, TSM, TFU etc) info.:hmm:

drpep
14th Aug 2010, 11:04
I would love to be reporting back with news of our engineers efforts however I can't. EIU maintenance was executed(whatever that means) and the problem has gone for now. The mystery continues!