PDA

View Full Version : Gyrojet at Farnborough

Fly_For_Fun
11th Aug 2010, 17:50
"Police may soon operate covert surveillance missions in a restyled autogyro following the development of a Manned Airborne Surveillance (MAS) platform by Derbyshire start-up, Gyrojet.

The two-seater Scorpion S3 autogyro has been designed for the intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) market, but could also be modified for use by the film, entertainment and commercial sectors.
Company founder and pilot Barry Jones was impressed with the reliability and performance of autogyros following an attempt to fly around the world in one several years ago."

This is a quote from "The Engineer". Can anyone tell me if this is the same Barry Jones associated with the global eagle escapade?

http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/119033-global-eagle-global-beagle-around-britain-virtual-autogyro-25.html

Fortyodd2
11th Aug 2010, 20:12
......Yes, it is.

Shawn Coyle
12th Aug 2010, 01:26
Saw the stand at F'boro.
Looks more like another 'Flight of Fancy' to me.
That long cantilevered arm with a spinning rotor on top would get any structural dynamics engineer all excited.

Fly_For_Fun
14th Aug 2010, 12:15
I read a couple of reports and there seems to have been wind tunnels tests, presumably of a model or maybe full sized mock up I don't know. I had a look for the web site and it is a "work in not so much progress".

It just seems strange that something is at Farnborough that clearly is no where near being ready for the market. Is this normal ? It does look pretty good, although I'm not so sure the hype would translate into a usable machine.

cocokh
11th Apr 2012, 09:22
Since the rotor on an autogyro isn't powered and the rotor speed is relatively low the canitlever arrangement wouldn't be a major concern, there is enough packaging space to design a substantial enough beam to carry the loads.

cocokh
11th Apr 2012, 09:26
just an idle observation, does anyone know where the project is upto now?

goldeneaglepilot
11th Apr 2012, 09:41
The down side would seem to be the amount of fuel needed to operate the turbine at relatively low altitudes, I can't see much call for an autogyro operating at FL150+

I also see it claims that it can hover for long periods of time at high altitude umm...

Sorry seems to fall into the same box as some other ecentric designs such as Sinclair C5

Company founder and pilot Barry Jones was impressed with the reliability and performance of autogyros following an attempt to fly around the world in one several years ago.
I realised then that the autogyro is just as capable, if not more so, than the helicopter in many of its roles due to the helicopter’s high through life costs and constant need for significant maintenance,’ he said.
The Scorpion S3 uses an unpowered rotor in autorotation to develop lift, and a gas turbine Alison B17 engine-powered propeller to provide thrust. It is fitted with a centreline-mounted under belly sensor turret, tactical radios and data recorders.
It does not require complicated transmission and drive chain assemblies and so does not suffer from the associated vibration or airframe fatigue. Jones added that it could hover for long periods at heights that would be deemed unsafe for a helicopter.

Read more: Gyrojet unveils airborne surveillance vehicle | News | The Engineer (http://www.theengineer.co.uk/news/gyrojet-unveils-airborne-surveillance-vehicle/1004260.article#ixzz1riuEuQAM)

500e
11th Apr 2012, 16:20
How does an Auto gyro hover.:confused:
My guess would be badly

heli-cal
11th Apr 2012, 18:39
where is it now?
just an idle observation, does anyone know where the project is upto now?

I think that this say's it all!

Site Suspended (http://www.gyro-jet.com)
gyro-jet.com has been suspended
The hosting and email services for gyro-jet.com have been suspended.

If you are the owner of this domain, and wish to have your services reinstated,
please contact the customer services department on +44 (0)845 363 3633.

MightyGem
12th Apr 2012, 04:37
How does an Auto gyro hover.
I think they mean stationary in relation to the ground rather than zero airspeed.

muffin
12th Apr 2012, 15:32
I drove past their offices this afternoon. All in darkness and no cars in the car park. Pity.

Helinut
12th Apr 2012, 23:43
Very difficult to design an aircraft to comply to civi certification standards that have not yet been written. Because the regulatory framework does not exist, you have no idea what the feds can throw at you.