PDA

View Full Version : Career Orientation...? Advice? Job?

Tazzz
11th Aug 2010, 15:04
HELLO TO ALL ROTOR HEADS.

I am fellow professional in the beginnig of his career that is with some questions in his head about what to do.
I'm in a secure job with fixed salary and good flying machines (212 412 109).
I'm co-pilot now makes four years, JAA License, 730 hours total 180h hu269 and the rest co-pilot twin-engine. Night flight, IFR, all done less PIC.
What is happening is I feel that it's time to fly single-engine (PIC), but in my company that will not happen anytime soon, because there is simply no need for single-engine pilot.

I can take a work for R22 to receive little, but to fly good, I know that is come from horse to donkey, and of course it would be better to fly a turbine helicopter but I have no where.

Do you have any advice for my career?

Will be best continued in safe work or skip?

Will after the R22 and 1000h really open up some doors and worth the risk?

I'm being too anxious to want to fly alone?

Thank you very much in advanced, and excuse the English, is not my first language.

Safe Landings to all..

helimutt
11th Aug 2010, 16:11
I'd suggest start asking the commanders you fly with if you can start logging time as P1/us. Having twin IFR experience is a better bet for long term employment, but if you think living your career in reverse, back into an R22 is going to help you, then my personal view is that you are misguided.

People start out in an R22 trying to gain that seat in a multi-engine ac, not the other way around. Also, it will depend on what you wish to do in the future so think about where you'd like to be in five yrs from now. How would you get to that point?

vaibronco
11th Aug 2010, 16:49
I totally agree with helimutt.
If portugal market is similar to the italian one, don't do it.
Many of my colleagues are struggling to move from SE to ME, no way.

S76Heavy
11th Aug 2010, 18:04
Why do you want to fly alone? And what?

Like has been said, SE pilots are mostly looking for that ME job, or for retirement. Single pilot jobs that might be worth while from a career pint of view would be where you fly with a non-pilot professional like HEMS or Police work.

But the P1u/s route seems the obvious way forward. Don't throw away your job security at this point in the economic cycle.

Tazzz
11th Aug 2010, 19:29
Thanks for reply.

I do not believe they let me write as Picus, unless I'm actually flying as Picus. That really would be a great step forward to achieve the minimums for the ATPL (H) that I only really miss the PIC 250h or 100h PIC and 150h Picus.

I completely understand your advice and I know it must be the safest thing to do.

I acknowledge also that I have too much luck to be in the Multi-Engine too soon it was my first job and unique.

I certainly want to be in multi-engine and serious missions.

I want to fly single pilot only for awhile. I think it has much to learn about being alone in the helicopter, and in 6 months will emerge ready to make the examination for ATPL.
Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I think it will not be very difilcil re-enter the market, Multi-Engine to be co-pilot again if already ATPL?

I remember that I'm doing 120 hours a year I need two more years for the goal that we all know to be of a thousand hours for a helicopter pilot, versus six months of R22 and this done.

That's why I'm here talking to you and ask advice from those who have s experience and a broader vision of things.

I start think it is better not leave. I do not know, maybe I'm really seeing too much light at the end of the tunnel and finally hit the wall with the face. thing we do not want for sure.

Tazzz
12th Aug 2010, 11:32
ok.
I had no idea that the market would be as bad as everyone is saying.
I'll hold my horses where I am and wait for a new opportunity.
Thank you all, and the Forum, by becoming so easy to exchange opinions and international contact that is good for us all.

Once more ...

Safe landings.

Tazzz ... :ok: