PDA

View Full Version : Seeking photos and information on Australian cloud seeding operations

cac_sabre
10th Aug 2010, 14:01
The aircraft types used for cloud seeding by the CSIRO include RAAF Austers and DC-3, East West airlines Anson and Hudsons as well as C-310s and a East West Twin Otter. I am seeking information and photos of the aircraft used and the AgI burner installlations for both modelling and "journalistic" projects..love to hear from you

Tmbstory
10th Aug 2010, 17:56
Cac Sabre:

I was involved in the above, let me know what your project is and I wiill try and assist?.

Tmb

chimbu warrior
11th Aug 2010, 00:40
The aircraft types used for cloud seeding by the CSIRO include RAAF Austers

Punching in towering Cu in a mighty Auster would be an experience. I guess the RAAF pilots did not get a choice though.

Stationair8
11th Aug 2010, 01:32
Don Wells of Par Avion did extensive work on cloud seeding from the early 1980's until about 1997 for the Hydro Electric Commission in the south west of Tasmania. The aircraft used by the SEC in Victoria and the NSW government for cloud seeding trails.

They used Aerocommander 690 and Pressurised Navajo BSF and SGA.

Now cloud seeding in an Auster would require either rather very large testicles or stupidity!

tinpis
11th Aug 2010, 20:54
What sort of crops did they have any success with?

cac_sabre
13th Aug 2010, 10:02
Re the Auster, with Cu type cloud the cloud seeding took place below the cloud base, so maybe its not as bad as it sounds, stratiform cloud seeding was done in the cloud.

Tmbstory
13th Aug 2010, 13:06
Cac_Sabre:

Yes, in the Cessna 310 we used to base seed the the CB's or use a "Very gun rocket" system to fire Silver Idode cannisters into the collar of the CB.

In the strata form cloud we used to line seed at the minus 5 degree Centigrade level until we iced up and approached the stall, then down to the lowest safe altitude, de- iced at the warmer temperatures, then back up to minus 5 degrees and continue with the job. It improved your flying skills!

Tmb