PDA

View Full Version : Building a Library

SLIPANDSKID
10th Aug 2010, 09:09
Hi All,

Well I'm not really building a library, more a modest collection of books. The aim off this is to gather together a collection of the best and most relevant books for a group of young pilots and students. Now they can just about pole an aircraft around the skies, I want them be able to read more about what makes a professional aviator.

I am looking for great books that explain not so much the theory side of flight. But rather the professional side of aviation, it particular military aviation. Any recommendations for books/articles about the following would be appreciated. Airmanship, accident investigations/ causes of accidents, common pilot mistakes, daily squadron life, fighter pilots, modern air forces and how they train and operate, mission planning, weather etc.

Many thanks in advance for suggestions

S&S

Pontius Navigator
10th Aug 2010, 09:41
Don't know if it is still around but very popular in the 70s was Handling the Big Jets.

Then look for Chichester.

On the military side, and no joke, I flew with Braddock. Stirring stuff, a good read, and there was one kicking around on 201 Sqn for a time.

Vertico
10th Aug 2010, 09:56
For new young pilots, can't recommend a better read than John Farley's "A View from the Hover" (Seager Publishing 2008. When I last checked, out of print in hardback but still available in paperback). Splendid book, full of practical info - not least on how to avoid those mistakes that turn into accidents and much, much more purely piloting info. Above all, a clear exposition of the attitude of mind and whole approach to flying which turns a merely competent pilot into a really good pilot. Written in a very informal style and easy to read. To quote the blurb, "a highly recommended read for anyone from aviation enthusiast to professional pilot". I'd go further and say it should be mandatory reading for all military pilots.

S76Heavy
10th Aug 2010, 10:10
I enjoyed Yeager's (auto)biography.

It explains a lot about his acchievements having a solid base in his knowledge of engineering and technical issues, therefore giving him the opportunity to make well-educated guesses every time he encountered something new.
Something life saving when testing prototype aircraft of flying X series, but a good attitude towards professional flying in any machine.

It also shows enthusiasm coupled with pragmatism. It is an enjoyable read.

green granite
10th Aug 2010, 10:32
David Mason's "Combat Ready" is an excellent read for budding Mil pilots.

skua
10th Aug 2010, 11:09
Behind the cockpit door by Arthur Whitlock, and Ernest Gann's Fate is the Hunter, are both excellent for showing how airliner life was before electronics and the fun police ruined it.

27mm
10th Aug 2010, 11:12
Grab any (or all) of Mark Berent's books, based in the Vietnam War. Berent was a fighter pilot during this war and his books are an unputdownable amalgam of air combat and military life in the 'Nam. Titles include "Rolling Thunder", "Steel Tiger" and "Eagle Station".

2Planks
10th Aug 2010, 11:31
If your looking for inspirational material (together with some good banter): F4 Phantom by Robert Prest

Torque Tonight
10th Aug 2010, 11:51
'Test Pilot' by Neville Duke. Awesome stuff.

Paul C
10th Aug 2010, 13:07
If you can get any of the Air Disaster (Vol 1, 2, 3 or 4) books by Macarthur Job you and your students will not be able to put them down and will learn an immense amount about how modern aviation safety has been shaped.
Cheers Paul

StopStart
10th Aug 2010, 13:53
Second what Paul C says re The Air Disaster series - superb books that I must've reread several times now.

Jig Peter
10th Aug 2010, 14:00
"Why is that octant in your hand?
"Because I am the navigator. I hold the needle that will pierce the cloud. I sing the song of the sky".
Guy Murchie.
"Song of the Sky" was written by a navigator, in love with his job, the sky, and the aircraft, in which he worked, and was first published in 1954. In his account of a C-54 transatlantic flight, Mr. Murchie also discourses and muses on aviation in general, history, principles of flight, the air and its movements and the general wonder of being able to fly for a living - "Living" with a BIG "L".
In his preface, he thanks his wife for removing "distractions and who understood that a man may be working even when gazing dreamily at the sky". A wonderful way with words ...
For me, and for many years, ""Song of the Sky" is one of the finest aviation books and formed part of the background to years of flying aircraft, as well as in the industry after my flying days were done.
Perhaps you'll be able to find a copy via Google ...

PS - Yes, even navigators can write well (and I'm not/wasn't one) ...

airborne_artist
10th Aug 2010, 14:17
Phoenix Squadron (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Phoenix-Squadron-Rowland-White/dp/0593054504) gives a very detailed account of RN fixed wing carrier operations right at the end of the Phantom/Buccaneer era. It shows how many people are needed just to get two aircraft over a target. You should be able to pick it up for pennies in paperback.

Four Types
10th Aug 2010, 16:36
CORSAIRVILLE by Graham Costner

If you want to read a book that passes on the joy of flying from both a bygone era and the present day then this is well worth a read. It follows the exploits of a flying boat trapped on a small strech of water in Africa...the story is interspersed with tales of the author's present day travels around the globe seeking out the remaining flying boats. A tale of when flying was still a thrill and an adventure. One of my top ten books.:ok:

Evalu8ter
10th Aug 2010, 17:36
Robin Olds' recent, posthumus, autobiography is superb - as is Broughton's Thud Ridge. Also worthy of note are Chickenhawk by Bob Mason and In the Company of Heroes by Michael Durant. A slightly more obscure tome but worth the effort is From Tailhooker to Mud Mover by Dick Lord; he was in the RN, instructed at Top Gun in the early 70's then moved back to South Africa to fly Mirage F1s.

Good Luck!

clareprop
10th Aug 2010, 17:46
Not really military in later years but anything by Alan "Bunny" Bramson is always good for a bit of airmanship and he certainly had a fairly strong RAF instructor background. I recall reading up about a TB10 I was about to buy. The TB range was manufactured in France by Aerospatiale. I quote from Bunny:" A good annunciator is provided and the electrics are controlled on a line of thermal overload buttons which are identified by those supposedly international symbols so loved by the French - personally, I think they look like Chinese Flute music.."

Occasional Aviator
10th Aug 2010, 17:47
Slightly different to the kind of thing suggested here, but definitely worth a look in terms of "what makes a professional aviator", is Tony Kern's Darker Shades of Blue. Kern examines rogue pilots, what personality types are predisposed to rogue behaviour, and how it can be managed. Very interesting and should be wider known amongst supervisors.

JTIDS
10th Aug 2010, 20:14
Chicken Hawk by Robert Mason. The best book I've ever read to explain how helicopters work, how to fly them, and the utter stupidity of war!

bingofuel
10th Aug 2010, 20:24
'Think Like a Bird', by Alex Kimbell .

Goprdon
10th Aug 2010, 20:24
The Pilot Poet by John Magee. 'Twas he who wrote 'High Flight'.
Current edition published by This England Books. ISBN 0 906324 22X.

Jig Peter
12th Aug 2010, 14:16
Enthusing in my Post 12 over "Song of the Sky", I forgot to mention St. Exupery's books, "Night Flight" (Vol de Nuit), "Sun, Sand and Stars" and "Pilote de Guerre" (I think that that too has been translated into English).
"Night Flight" is about early days (1930s) in air transport across the Andes, which still has relevance in aviation well off the airways.
"Sun, Sand and Stars" is about a long distance record attempt in a 4-seat light aircraft which went wrong and ended in a "survival situation", while "Pilot de Guerre" is about the early days of WW2.
All based on St. Ex's own experiences, and very good writing indeed (the translations aren't bad either - an early ambition of mine, after reading "Vol de Nuit" was to translate it myself, but a much better writer had already beaten me to it !).