PDA

View Full Version : College And Flight Training Advice

AustinStarbuck
8th Aug 2010, 20:32
I am 16 years old and currently working on my Private Pilot Certificate. My main career goal is to become a airline pilot. (and yes I already know all about the career. The low pay, bad job security, and everything.)
When I graduate from high school I would like the go to college and get a degree in business or engineering as a plan-b degree. While I am at college I plan on getting all of the rating and everything to go to regionals ASAP. I would like to be based at a large airport such as; LAX, O'hair, DFW, or something that size.
I have researched colleges that have aviation departments but I don't want a aviation degree because that doesn't really help much. So is there any colleges that you would recoment going to that would possibly be in one of those large cities that way I dont have to move once I graduate. Also would it be better to go to a college with a aviation department and just get the ratings from them not nessasarily the degree. Or go to a college and get my plan-b degree and do the ratings at a local FBO?
I would like to do it as costly as possible, instead of the ERAU aproach. Basicly what route to becoming a airline pilot do you recomend?
Most people don't want to hear your life story but I do. How did you get to where you are today? What problems did you face? What would you of done different? Ect... Airline Pilots Prefered

Thanks in advance, Austin

lander66
8th Aug 2010, 22:50
"I would like to be based at a large airport such as; LAX, O'hair, DFW, or something that size."

Hi Austin.

If you are in the USA I thought it was pretty much compulsary for pilots to go to a regional airline before a major. This goal of a major airport should be put aside for now. Your goal should be to get any flying job and stick to it until you have enough hours for a major carrier and possibly a major airline.

"So is there any colleges that you would recoment going to that would possibly be in one of those large cities that way I dont have to move once I graduate."

As I am not a US citizen I am not aware of which colleges are most useful, sorry. I think you still have quite an idealistic view of becoming a pilot... I don't blame you as everyone did at some point, but I think hoping to get a job at a major airport near the college you went to just after you graduate is just a hint too rosy. Go to the college which is best for your education, not one nearest the major airports. Then, grab any flying job you can.

I am not an airline pilot unfortunately but I think everyone on this forum who reads regularly will be able to provide useful information so don't dismiss it too hastily.

Louis.

AustinStarbuck
8th Aug 2010, 23:48
I dont plan on going to the majors straight out of college. I know the steps to getting to the majors. I just dont want to move across the country for a job. I would like to be in at least the same region. However if a job comes open somewhere else I might consider it.

antoine.
9th Aug 2010, 02:50
Hi,
I'm at Embry Riddle, Daytona Beach's campus; and I'm doing exactly what you are saying: I'm an Aerospace Engineering major, but I'm passing also my flight ratings (finishing my CFI right now).
Now I don't know how it works in other universities but fitting my rating in my bachelor degree wasn't a problem untill now (just became a sophomore).
I know a lot of things are said about ERAU, it's expensive, and it's probably not the funniest flying you'll do, but in the end you have a degree and your ratings from one of the best universities (especially in AE).
I totally agree that you should have a back up plan. Most of the people I see flying at Riddle are Aeronautical Science majors, which I don't really understand the point, cause what can you do with that other than being a pilot?
If you do your ratings but a different major (like AE or any other), you are as qualified as an AS major but you have a backup in case.

AustinStarbuck
9th Aug 2010, 15:46
The probem is that I can't afford ERAU. Unless I get a but load of scolarships. I dont want to graduate with 100,000 dollars of debt.