PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Captains - CASA Regulations re logging of flight time.

A37575
8th Aug 2010, 06:03
The term "Cruise Captain" is used in some airlines. It is not mentioned in ICAO documents as far as I know and not in Australian CASA documents either.
1. What is a Cruise Captain?
2. How many stripes does he wear?
3. Is it just a company title and not recognized elsewhere as a specific qualification?
4. How is the flight time as Cruise captain logged in a log book?
5. In command or copilot time?
6. Is there a Climb and Descent captain?
7. I understand Eva Air in Taiwan employ Cruise captains for augmented crew flights. Is there a minimum experience on type required before being upgraded to Cruise Captain?
8. Do both the authorised captain and the Cruise captain both log command time for the total flight?
9. What Australian regulation permits this practice of both pilots logging command at same time?
10. What VH-registered operators use Cruise Captains?

LeadSled
8th Aug 2010, 14:10
Folks,
To the best of my knowledge, the concept is not used in AU.

In the QF case, all F/Os are qualified to be in command while the Captain is in the bunk, the heavy crews have one to two S/Os as required.

Time is logged as per the QF Ops. Manual.

There is no provision for a "Cruise Captain" as such, in AU regulations, but there is nothing prohibiting flying two Captains together ----- but expensive, compared to an F/O doing the same thing.

Only the pilot nominated by the company as the pilot in command normally get to log "pilot in command" for the whole of the flight time ( although there can be technical exceptions ), what a Captain acting as F/O would log depends on company exemptions, given Australian's non-ICAO screwed up regulations on the matter.

This quite different to, say, UK CAA practice.

Tootle pip!!