PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

desert goat
7th Aug 2010, 13:38
Hi all-
I'm considering a trip to the US shortly and was looking to do a few hours flying over there -but most of the travel insurance companies seem to have specific exclusions against GA flying, and won't cover hospital costs for accidents related to flying unless you're an RPT passenger. Can anyone here suggest a company that would provide this cover at a reasonable cost?
(I know it's very long odds against anything going wrong, but the price of a day in an American hospital for a non-insured foreigner ain't pretty!!!)

shortandsmelly
8th Aug 2010, 03:23
I tried to find something similar before a trip to the UK last year. One broker rang me back - we had a long discussion, the outcome of which was basically that such a product doesn't exist.

In a similar sense, nothing exists to cover a private pilot who is hiring aircraft from different operators - you have to 'trust' that the person or operator you are hiring from is properly covered.

Apparently there's not enough of a market for it.

FokkerInYour12
8th Aug 2010, 13:35
HBF Travel policy states that they exclude:
"Air travel or aerial activities other than as a passenger in an aircraft that is authorised to fly under a law that relates to the safety of the aircraft".

Perhaps take another pilot as PIC and classify yourself as a "passenger".

LeadSled
8th Aug 2010, 13:54
d.goat,

Contact AOPA US, the cost of joining is sod all, compared with what your overall trip will cost, and see what insurance you can buy through them. For anybody flying in the US, there will be lots of additional benefits of the membership.

<www.aopa.org>

Tootle pip!!

Peter Fanelli
8th Aug 2010, 14:17
(I know it's very long odds against anything going wrong, but the price of a day in an American hospital for a non-insured foreigner ain't pretty!!!)

It's really not a problem, just tell the hospital staff that you're mexican and here illegally and all treatment will be provided as needed and the taxpayers will foot the bill.

djpil
8th Aug 2010, 22:42
I found one policy which allowed skydiving. I queried the required status of the operator of the aircraft and the answer was pretty vague but obviously some-one in the business of taking people up to skydive. Bill had dropped one or two guys out of his Pitts over the years so I donned a chute and flew with him. I chickened out of jumping out of the aeroplane so just did some aerobatics then landed.

uncopilot
9th Aug 2010, 05:29
Try this company - https://global.ihi.com/travel+insurance/single+trip.aspx

Many friends into extreme sports have had claims with no problems. Only thing they don't cover is;

"We cover all kinds of sports, including hazardous sports, without extra charge. The only exception is motor sports (shows, races or competitions)."

desert goat
11th Aug 2010, 15:12
Excellent-thanks for the leads!