PDA

View Full Version : Wide Street, Portland, UK, Helipad

theaceofblades
6th Aug 2010, 15:57
Does anybody have any details of the Wide Street Helipad located on Portland, shown on the 1:250,000 chart.

I can't find anything on it.....

Two's in
6th Aug 2010, 18:47
Google is your friend...

PORTLAND R.N.A.S. (http://daveg4otu.tripod.com/dorset/pot.html)

3D CAM
6th Aug 2010, 19:58
Two's...

Sorry to contradict you but that link is NOT Wide Street.
The two lower pictures are actually of the Coastguard Helicopter base! Which is probably not open to visiting aircraft!:rolleyes:
Wide Street is up the hill on Portland itself. Helipad??? :hmm: Well a local businessman uses some land there for his Hughes?
3D.

Talkdownman
6th Aug 2010, 20:29
There is a windsock outside the Portland Engineering Co, Wide street. Could be a helipad in there. Give 'em a ring, 01305 821273.

rotarywise
7th Aug 2010, 05:48
The pad is visible on Google Earth at 50° 32.904'N, 2° 26.663'W

Senior Pilot
7th Aug 2010, 07:13
The number of times that I've walked from Reforne and down Wide Street without realising that pad existed! I'll have to ask around :ok:

Two's in
7th Aug 2010, 13:23
3D,

This is troubling, that's now 3 times in my life I've been wrong...the wife will be pleased.

Hughes500
7th Aug 2010, 14:32
Owned by John Strong who owns Portland Engineering

theaceofblades
19th Aug 2010, 12:03
Thanks guys

VeeAny
19th Aug 2010, 13:53
And there is of couse now the pad operated by Elite Helicopters in preparation for the olympics down there.

New Heliport Facility The Venue, Southwell Park. Portland (http://www.elitehelicopters.co.uk/newsItem.aspx?newsKey=eef716f8-908d-491f-8dac-a982f0986474)

Aucky
19th May 2011, 17:39
And there is of couse now the pad operated by Elite Helicopters in preparation for the olympics down there.
New Heliport Facility The Venue, Southwell Park. Portland

Sadly not, the locals kicked up a fuss and quashed the planning on that i'm told...

zorab64
20th May 2011, 12:30
A slight correction to the "quashing of the application" as it was actually "withdrawn" by the applicant - no doubt as a result of the comments from locals! I think that means they get another crack at the whip at no charge, rather than actually getting a permission refused. If you're that interested, take a look at Weymouth & Portland Councils' planning website Search Planning applications and appeals in Weymouth and Portland (http://www.weymouth.gov.uk/home.asp?sv=855) - insert 11/00040/FUL as the planning ref, then click through to the documents tab to get a good idea of what mass NIMBYism looks like when responding to such things!

It would appear that most residents have completely missed the point that it was proposed as a temporary site, although siting it right down by the Bill would have a lot of traffic coming onto the island, much of it stopping to spend money. Given the welcome that they were likely to receive, the islanders will reap what they sow IMHO!

Personally, I can't see why Elite haven't tried to do a deal with the perfectly good runway by the SAR base - goodness knows, it used to fill the skies with helicopters not so many moons ago, and put a good deal of money into local coffers, too.

There's nothing like cutting your nose to spite your face! :ugh: