PDA

View Full Version : BMI BABY - Deceptive Ticket Pricing

Spunky Monkey
6th Aug 2010, 11:47
I thought that airlines had to be honest with the costs when you click on the purchase price, that is what you pay.

I regularly have to self position around Europe to catch up with our aircraft.

Trying to purchase a ticket online, it stated £130.00.

Then they added the following charges
1 Bag - 12.99 (flight bag)
Credit card charge - £6.50
Airport Check in - £7.00
APIS - £5.00
Seat Selection - £8.50

New price - £165.00

I wanted to check in online - it wouldn't let me do it. - So take another £7.00
I don't give a monkies what seat I sit in - why do I have to pay £8.50?
Is it really a government requirement for APIS or API, Easyscum and Ryantheft don't charge for it.

Going to complain to bmibaby however what department in the CAA is responsible for monitoring this?
When I have the CAA regs, I am then going to trading standards. I am sick of being treated like scum by these airlines and then they are thieving at the same time.

Aviation really is the pits these days.

Capetonian
6th Aug 2010, 11:59
I understand how you feel and I'm not trying to defend the airline but I'll make a couple of points as I'm going to pre-empt what they will tell you when you complain.

The bag is optional. Many people travel without checked baggage and why should they subsidise those who do.

The CC charge on BMI Baby is per booking. LyingAir, or Ryantheft as you call them (I like that!) charge it per segment per passenger. Also (I've not checked on site) but I suspect that if you paid with a debit card, the charge would have been less.

Airport check in - if you can't check in online, that's a scam.

Seat selection. They make it hard, but you can bypass that and therefore not pay for it.

APIS is mandatory and you should not have to pay for that any more than you should have to pay extra for your car engine to have a camshaft in it!

Here's the link to the AUC complaints area :

How to complain | AUC Home (http://www.auc.org.uk/default.aspx?catid=306&pagetype=90&pageid=2186)

Good luck. Please let us know how you get on.

Spunky Monkey
6th Aug 2010, 12:14
Thanks Capetonian

They did this to me last week as well.

Airport check in is a nonsense, it is a computer terminal, that you have to use to print your own boarding pass. The APIS is just a scan of your passport.

It really leaves an sour taste in the mouth. Even though it isn't my funds, I hate being squeezed by these cads and snides.

I will certainly let you know.

All guns to Starboard...Fire for Effect...

Capetonian
6th Aug 2010, 12:22
I refuse to fly on Ryantheft because of their lack of transparency (being very polite) in pricing. I'm fortunate enough to have the time and money (it's usually not my money!) to be able to use alternatives. I realise that many people are not that fortunate and can't vote with their feet, as the saying goes.

BA are already on my ****list, I am about to add Flybe, and it looks as if BMIBaby could be heading that way too. Problem is, I may end up having to walk everywhere if this carries on!

scrapy
6th Aug 2010, 15:47
The APIS charge is only if you choose to give this informatin at the airport. If you give it in advance online (i.e check in online) you will not be charged for it. It effectively is the same as a £12 airport check in fee instead of £7 non UK/Ireland destinations. In my view it is less scandalous than £40 off Ryanair to print a boarding card.

Max Angle
6th Aug 2010, 16:17
Just console yourself with the fact that 15 years ago it would have cost you £300 so you are still getting an absolute bargain.

Capetonian
6th Aug 2010, 16:21
Just console yourself with the fact that 15 years ago it would have cost you £300 so you are still getting an absolute bargain.

I don't think that is any consolation at all for unethical practice. I abhor this type of complacency which is what allows such practices to be perpetuated.

mathers_wales_uk
6th Aug 2010, 18:02
The reason it will not allow you to check-in is that you have selected to add a bag. If you choose not to select to add a bag during booking process it will in fact cost you approx double the online bag fee plus the same for check-in fee.

I was pretty sure that there were no APIS charge if you did it online during booking only if you turned up at the airport as you would have to pay a check-in fee to have it done.

There is also definetly a opt out option for selected seating but it may not be clear.

Beer_n_Tabs
6th Aug 2010, 20:29
I don't think that is any consolation at all for unethical practice. I abhor this type of complacency which is what allows such practices to be perpetuated.

Actually I think Max Angle nailed it. So I disagree with your comment Mr Capetonian (although I am sure you are a great bloke and all round friendly kinda fella...so no offence intended).

LCC's are always on the news / papers / t'internet / chats in the pub about how they rip us off with the 'extras' etc....unless you live in a dark cave without electricity and a TV / t'interent then you cannot escape the amount of times the LCC's are slagged off......but bizzarely ...they carry gazillons of pillocks like me here and there.

Personally, I do try to avoid them and if we trawl the net then often when you add the add ons the legacy / flag carriers arent that much more expensive, and actually often cheaper...but lets be honest here...if you don't live in that cave then why do millions hit the 'confirm booking' button (or similar button) on the LCC's ?

The fools are us...the travelling public. What the LCC's do is not unethical as such..just clever marketing (i say clever in a tongue in cheek kinda way).

Anyway...i dont come here much these days and sorry if you have nodded off by now. I'm going to open another beer !

Cheers
Beer_n_Tabs

Chuchinchow
7th Aug 2010, 13:42
Posted here before, but nevertheless still relevant, especially in the context of this thread:

YouTube - ‪FASCINATING AIDA - Cheap Flights‬‎ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAg0lUYHHFc&feature=related)

Northbeach
7th Aug 2010, 17:22
I do not intend to be insulting nor pour salt into a wound with my comments.

When I read Spunky Monkey’s comments I get the impression that the author believes they are entitled to fly at a price they are comfortable with. From BA to Ryanair airlines are commercial enterprises driven to make a profit. Commercial aviation is neither the metro nor the postal service; my wages and job are not guaranteed by your taxes.

The air carrier must make a profit, and then hand much of that profit over to the government in the form of taxes and charges then the airline strives to continue in business; or they go out of business. Personally I have had two of my airline employers go out of business leaving me jobless, without health, retirement or other benefits as have tens of thousands of others in this industry over the last few decades.

I don’t like the way I am treated, or the options I am offered by the “Department of Revenue” and virtually every other arm of the State.

The same goes at the local fueling station, the market and many other places I end up needing to spend my money at. It is my option to shop at some of those places. I am not entitled to the housing, food, transportation and entertainment at the standard and price of my “liking”.

What has happened to the amount of your income that you pay in taxes over the last 20 years? And how does that compare what it costs to fly form one city to another over the same period? On this point Max Angle is exactly correct,

In many ways we have done this to ourselves in this industry. We have trained the customer to expect “cheap” seats. There are a lot of reasons for this but the bottom line is the customer loves being able to travel at less than the cost it takes to move her/him from one point to another.

Try that with your University education, the grocery store, or a taxi.

Some of us in the industry are beginning to make a modest profit now after years of eking by or massive losses. It looks like the “fees” are generating much of the profit not selling the seats. This is what you are experiencing.

“Thieves” and “scum” huh – really? Most of the people I know in this industry are great, as are most of the passengers. I am glad you have a job (really) that requires you to reposition all over Europe to catch up with your airplane. Perhaps you can talk the owners into dispatching the airplane at your beck and call, therefore allowing you to skip all this commercial travel nonsense. A little perspective maybe: go back to Max Angle’s #6 post and think about it for some historical perspective.

caaardiff
8th Aug 2010, 15:42
bmibaby are the same as any other lo-co. If you know what your looking for and catch it at the right time, u can get a bargain.
The problem is, as already stated, they dont make it easy for you.
- The seat selection, you have to select yourself before they charge u. Don't select and you get a choice of whats left at check-in. There has been a massive increase of seat selection, or the airline themselves allocating seats amongst the charter carriers as well. Passengers are getting to check-in expecting a choice and are being split up, so more and more are prebooking and the airline is generating more revenue.
- APIS - with bmibaby needs to be entered after the booking process is complete on their website, if this is done there is no charge. They charge an "Admin" fee for it to be done at the airport.
- bmibaby dont offer bag drop desks. If you have hand luggage only, select Free online check-in and go straight through. If you have bags you must pay to attend the check-in desk. Cheaper if prebooked.

The £130 quoted is a base fair and lo-co's give you the option to personalise your flight if you wish.
bmibaby even have a link on their front page stating how to make your fares cheaper and their booking tips, what more could people want??
Plus its all in the terms and conditions that each and every passenger has to tick to book the flight. Whether anyone reads this or not is a risk passengers need to take.
As much as i dislike how lo-co's work, most offer good deals if done properly!

Abusing_the_sky
9th Aug 2010, 00:15
I am sick of being treated like scum by these airlines and then they are thieving at the same time.Was going to ask "why don't take the train/drive the car then ? " but i decided against it...

Prey tell, what would any of you do if you were to own your very own LoCo airline (or any airline for that matter)? Give seats away for free? Not charge pax for their checked-in luggage? Or for using their credit card to pay for the said flight?

Would you give it all for free? How will you pay your pilots wages? Your CC on board? (remember, you'll need them before they ever need you). How will you pay for your landing fees, parking fees, ground handling... ?

Managing an airline is like managing ANY other business out there; one would expect to make a profit. Don't like it, don't sign up for it and don't pay up, find a different alternative to your journey, simple as.

PS: Max Angle and Northbeach, hat's off to you Sirs! :D

Some people are just.... nah , i'm not going down that road...

Capetonian
9th Aug 2010, 06:14
The original poster may have overreacted to what is common practice in the industry now, and his language may have been a little harsh, but fact is that some of the charges are presented in a devious and underhand way, and he is right in complaining if he feels aggrieved - or avoiding that carrier.

Nothing wrong with making a profit, but there are honest and dishonest ways of doing so, and some of these practices cross the line.

frontcheck
9th Aug 2010, 07:38
and there is taking your time when making a booking, read carefully and decide what you want BEFORE hitting the enter button, and then complaining about what YOU have booked, just a thought. :E

Saintsman
9th Aug 2010, 14:31
Well they could have charged £165 all inc but a large percentage of people still think £130 plus the extras is cheaper. People are attracted to the headline price which is why the airlines do it.

You need to read between the lines in order to get the best price.

cym
9th Aug 2010, 17:20
and if you think BMIBABY is bad - have a look at how Robinair work!

Airbus215
11th Aug 2010, 10:03
The baby web site is very clear , Once you have selected a flight it shows the cost of the flight + taxes and a total

Offers you insurance which you can decline

Asks how many bags or sports equipment you wish to check in and the cost of them before adding to booking

Ask if you wish to check in at airport or on line showing the costs again before adding to booking

The next screen displays a seat map if you ignore choosing a seat and continue it costs nothing

Its easy to pay only the advertised fare + credit/debit card surcharge.