PDA

View Full Version : Cessna Crash on Asquith Golf Course

SaltAsh
6th Aug 2010, 07:45
Does anyone recall the crash (late 1970s or early 1980s) on Asquith Golf Course of (I think) a Cessna 182, please? I recall seeing the aircraft nose first into the ground from my seat on a passing train, but can't find any details despite many searches.

Rob.

Frank Arouet
6th Aug 2010, 08:01
I have some old crash comics which featured this prang, and which I recall. Memory is a bit faded but I thought it was a Piper of some sort. Could be wrong though.

It will take me some time to go through them and will let you know.

SaltAsh
6th Aug 2010, 10:04
Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you. I have a vague recollection that the aircraft suffered fuel exhaustion enroute to Aeropelican but I can't find anything to confirm or othewise.

fencehopper
6th Aug 2010, 12:59
Yes i know the pilot but have not seen him for some years. he flew for aeropelican. the aircraft was in transit from pelican to bankstown via the lane and developed partial loss of power, the pilot (TT) elected to land on the fairway of the golf course but had to do a quick go around due to too many people where he needed to put down. on finals the engine quit and they took out a TV aerial on the house and dropped short into the chain link fence. Great outcome. there were two others on board. It was a cessna pretty sure a 182. was fuel related but NOT exhaustion. still fuel in tanks
FH

SaltAsh
6th Aug 2010, 14:21
It's good to be getting some accurate info instead of relying on memory alone. Any idea if there is a report into the incident available?

7th Aug 2010, 01:45
I too thought it was a Piper - PA24 single - perhaps?

zlin77
7th Aug 2010, 05:24
I recall a PA-24 doing a forced landing on Pennant Hills golf course in approx. 1973-74'ish.....one pax fatality I think.

SaltAsh
7th Aug 2010, 10:01
I too recall the Piper on Pennant Hills Golf Course, but the Asquith event was definitely a Cessna. I clearly recall the freakish sight of it planted nose first on the golf course with the fuselage almost vertical.

Rob.

8th Aug 2010, 08:16
On deeper consideration I agree that the piper was indeed on Pennant Hills course.

fencehopper
8th Aug 2010, 09:23
There was also a cessna on Kings Grammer School at Parramatta, bunch of kids playing cricket had to do the bolt. pilot got it in there in one piece.

SaltAsh
8th Aug 2010, 23:17
Pennant Hills Golf Course event was June 1972, VH-TMB I believe. It was early in my own training and I remember it quite well. Still hoping to get some more details such as date and cause for the Asquith Golf Course event.

Rob.

Frank Arouet
9th Aug 2010, 01:46
My collection old "crash comics" did not reveal anything. That may be that I no longer have that particular edition because I am certain I saw something about the incident. Contact The Nationa Library in Canberra and ask how you would go about accesssing the information. They DO have every edition of the Aviation Safety Digest.

SaltAsh
9th Aug 2010, 07:12
Thanks Frank,

I might give them a try. For some reason the ATSB website seems to have a blank between 1975 and 1995.

Rob.

bentleg
9th Aug 2010, 10:29
The Pennant Hills Golf Course incident is reported here (http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/1972/aair/pdf/197201261.pdf)

fencehopper
9th Aug 2010, 10:56
Channel Ten had good footage of the asquith incident. The pilot had a copy of it. maybe they could be of help

SaltAsh
9th Aug 2010, 12:55
Indeed it is, but there is no sign of the Asquith event.

Skynews
10th Aug 2010, 01:29
Yes i know the pilot but have not seen him for some years. he flew for aeropelican. the aircraft was in transit from pelican to bankstown via the lane and developed partial loss of power, the pilot (TT) elected to land on the fairway of the golf course but had to do a quick go around due to too many people where he needed to put down. on finals the engine quit and they took out a TV aerial on the house and dropped short into the chain link fence. Great outcome. there were two others on board. It was a cessna pretty sure a 182. was fuel related but NOT exhaustion. still fuel in tanks
FH

Close,
It was a C182, VH- KDW, it was enroute Melbourne ( maybe Falls creek)? to Aeropelican, it was fuel exhaustion.
I still have a newspaper article, with photo's that I will try and post when I find it. Their were 4 on board.
The pilot went onto QLink then Dragon where he is now.(HongKong)

SaltAsh
10th Aug 2010, 01:59
Thank Skynews,

That lines up with my recollections. I find it strange that the ATSB site seems to have a 20 year gap in their reports.

I look forward to seeing your posted newspaper article(s).

Rob.

Critical Reynolds No
10th Aug 2010, 02:19
Def a Cessna. Fence had a carrier arrestor hook effect. 6th Tee from memory off Lord Street.
Here (hope this works)

Asquith Golf Club, New South Wales - Google Maps (http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Asquith+Golf+Club,+New+South+Wales&sll=-25.335448,135.745076&sspn=37.591491,55.283203&ie=UTF8&hq=Asquith+Golf+Club,&hnear=New+South+Wales&ll=-33.679181,151.112719&spn=0,3.4552&t=h&z=8&layer=c&cbll=-33.679181,151.112719&panoid=ne8J4SSyDhKZKxV2XcplMw&cbp=12,199.22,,0,18.39)

The house where the TV aerial got hit is opposite.

Skynews
10th Aug 2010, 04:06
Don't know which tee it was buts the one on the corner of Lorde and Royston Pde. I.e. The opposite end to where the pin on the above link is.
I knew the pilot vert well, and knew he was away in that aircraft and saw it out of the train window as I went passed. Regularly flying that machine and knowing my friend was flying it, I got quite a suppress.

Critical Reynolds No
10th Aug 2010, 04:20
The link is the corner or Lord Street and Royston!

The other end (southern) is Queen steet or the 5th tee. Next to the jehovah's witnesses centre which at the time was a Kindergarten (which I went to as a young blighter).

memory so bad now it could be any end of the 5th hole!:ugh:

SaltAsh
10th Aug 2010, 06:48
The aircraft was definitely at the corner of Lord and Royston, just inside the chainwire fence as posted earlier, and the house which lost it's TV antenna was on the opposite side of Lord St, on the corner of Lord and Belmont Parade (looks like No2 according to the map). Seems we've pinned down the location and cause, can anyone hazard a guess at the date, please?

Rob.

Skynews
10th Aug 2010, 08:08
Ok, when I open the link the pin is at the far end of Lorde st, I.e. Away from the railway line.

SaltAsh
10th Aug 2010, 12:37
Correct, the pin is at the eastern end of Lord St but the aircraft finished up at the western end of Lord St.

aero979
10th Aug 2010, 22:42
I remember it went straight over my house followed closely by a helicopter I think! media maybe? And yep over the public school across the street, took out a TV aerial and into the Golf course...

Critical Reynolds No
10th Aug 2010, 23:16
My link should be the western end but yes the "A" pin puts you on the eastern end of the street.

Critical Reynolds No
12th Aug 2010, 01:08
Got in contact with the Golf Club. It happend on 26th September 1983.

They also have a history of the club book available that has two pictures and eyewitness account.

SaltAsh
12th Aug 2010, 01:42
Many thanks, I never gave that approach a thought, well done.

All questions answered, although I'm still puzzled by the lack of availability of an official report.

Rob.:D

bentleg
12th Aug 2010, 11:09
I'm still puzzled by the lack of availability of an official report.

There may be one, but not available online.

SaltAsh
12th Aug 2010, 13:23
I agree that there must be one, but as I've posted previously, the ATSB database has a puzzling gap from 1975 to 1995.

Thanks to all who have contributed.

Rob.

Critical Reynolds No
12th Aug 2010, 23:17
Letting my fingers do the talking.
Spoke to a very friendly chap at the ATSB. The main reason for the big gaps in reports is that:
1) Most have not been scanned
2) Every report has to be reviewed before it is posted online. Privacy issues was the major concern as they have changed from when the older reports were first published.

As "safety is a top prioity", he was happy to run down to the archives, scan the report, review and email to me. Not sure how long this will take but if anyone is interested, send me a PM and I'll fire a copy.

Critical Reynolds No
13th Aug 2010, 00:45
They got back to me very quickly. Impressed:

Thanks for your call, it was good talking with you, and I hope that we can be of help. I’ve checked with my archivist colleagues, and they’ve advised me that they can’t find an investigation report from the accident. However, because there are formatting issues with the old electronic records, I can’t say for certain that it wasn’t investigated. I have attached the public summary of the occurrence, but I suggest you try contacting the National Archives of Australia. All paper files that are 25 years old are moved there, so they may be the best people to contact. I’m sorry we couldn’t be of more help. If you have any questions or problems, don’t hesitate to contact us.

Here is part of the extract:

Occurance no. 198301327
Date: 26/9/1983 Time: 4.48PM EST
Occurrence type: Level 1 - Mechanical, Level 2 - Powerplant, Level 3 - Total power loss / engine failure
Aircraft: Cessna 182Q
Departure point: Eildon Weir VIC Destination: Aeropelican NSW Actual Landing Point: Asquith NSW
Damage to aircraft: Serious
Private, VMV, VFR
Crew: 1 Pax: 3
Summary: ENG BEGAN TO RUN ERRATICALLY & FLD ON BASE LEG. STRUCK TV ANTENNA ON HOUSE & TREE BEFORE COLLIDING WITH FENCE. PLT FLD TO FOLLOW FUEL SETTING AS SHOWN IN MANUAL.

SaltAsh
13th Aug 2010, 01:39
Thanks, please check your PMs as I'd like to see a copy if it ever becomes available.

Rob.