PDA

View Full Version : Oxford Aviation Academy ripping off Jetstar applicants

Snatch
5th Aug 2010, 12:40
All you Jetstar "Advanced Cadetship" applicants, be warned.

Stories are emerging of Advanced Cadetship applicants paying Oxford the money for the application, taking time off work for the interviews with Oxford and resigning from their positions when Oxford tells them they're in...

...only to be told by Jetstar that they don't qualify.

Why?

Because they actually hold an ATPL, not just passes in the exams :suspect:

People are not only losing cash and wasting weeks of their time, but losing their existing employment and becoming stranded in aviation limbo.

There is a group forming to lodge a complaint with Dept Fair Trading over Oxford Aviation Academy's conduct. If you have been burnt by this, please send me a PM.

Edited to keep the lawyers at bay - Everyone be VERY careful with emotive language please

MA

eocvictim
5th Aug 2010, 12:46
We did actually warn everyone of this 3 months ago.

/Standing by for complaints of poor conditions and low pay.

dream747
5th Aug 2010, 15:50
You mean they turned people away because their ATPL is unfrozen?:eek:

Captain Nomad
5th Aug 2010, 16:02
Obviously too close to being 'real' pilots who should actually be paid more as DEFOs... :E

By joining with an ATPL they will have already broken the golden barrier distinction Jet* constructed between 'junior' and 'senior' FO positions. Makes it hard for them to then enforce the nice long stint on peasant wages as a 'Junior' FO...

Jethro Gibbs
6th Aug 2010, 01:35
People DO NOT PAY for APPLICATIONS or a JOB its just WRONG !:ugh:

biggles7374
6th Aug 2010, 02:25
Given the way that the selection process seemed to have been structured it is not just the guys with 'the green light' that are affected. Guys and girls that forked out approx. $1,000 to travel interstate to attend the process who were rejected in favour of the ATPL holders may have been rejected incorrectly and had their future careers affected by this - arguably with hindsight in a positive way!! ;-)

My perception from participating in the process was that (assuming the standard was met) it was only the top 2 performers in a group of 10 and top 1 performer in a group of 5 that got the opportunity to go in front of Jetstar. I know that the individual who got through in my group of 5 had an ATPL - so assuming my perception is correct, that means 1 of the remaining 4 applicants in the group were possibly rejected incorrectly.

I also had reservations about the manner in which the selection process occurred. Some groups seemed to do the testing and interview prior to the group exercises and others did the testing and group exercises prior to the interview. Consequently some applicants were rejected after the first two elements and did not reach the group exercise, some in other groups did not reach the interview. How can this provide a uniform selection process??

This 'oversight' by Oxford should have been picked up at initial application stage, prior to the selection day. One of the questions on the application form was What licences do you hold? Perhaps this is an indication of how focussed they were towards getting as many people to part with their money as possible?? I know when I arrived at Oxford - and this is no joke - I was greeted not with Good Morning, Welcome to Oxford Aviation Academy but with What is your name?? How will you be paying??

There can be no excuses for oversights like this!!!

Good Luck to all those seeking redress - you deserve to be re-imbursed and not just fobbed of with a flimsy apology if you are lucky!!!

Gaius Baltar
6th Aug 2010, 02:58
Jethro darling, where have you been in a cave for the last few years? Most airlines charge for the selection process these days and/or charge you the the endorsement. Yes the cadetship is digging the whole deeper ( and yes I applied for it!) -it sucks but it is the way it is.

Aerozepplin
6th Aug 2010, 03:06
What is your name?? How will you be paying??

A very fitting summary.

KRUSTY 34
6th Aug 2010, 03:06
Excuse me;

But are we to gleen from this that there are ATPL holders (pilots with in excess of 1500 hours, subjects, etc), after obviously having spent thousands already, hundreds of hours in the profession, perhaps years in the industry, and are now complaining that they have been shafted for upfront fees, and will not be permitted to pay approx $210K to work up the front of an A320 clearing less money per year than a Woollies check out chick?!

CHR!ST ALL BL@@DY MIGHTY!

Candidates for the "Darwin Award" if ever I've seen 'em. :rolleyes:

fatalbert1
6th Aug 2010, 03:58
to pay approx $210K to work up the front of an A320

$60,000 by my count

ejet3
6th Aug 2010, 04:05
Typical Oaa when you charge $440 an hour or something for a c172! maybe it has something to do with the boss almost running off the end of 34r that avo at mb doing a circling approach in his citation at 300ft outside the circling area :}
:=

rmcdonal
6th Aug 2010, 05:02
doing a circling approach in his citation at 300ft outside the circling area Sounds like fun. :ok::E

Jethro Gibbs
6th Aug 2010, 06:25
Why are people paying for jobs because stupid people have paid before now they want everyone to pay which is worse than working for FREE.:ugh:

Horatio Leafblower
6th Aug 2010, 07:25
There are 2 streams, one for "cleanskins" and one for "Advanced cadets".

The advanced cadets paid about $60k through salary sacrifice and then through reduced salary as a Junior FO - as someone said above, a Junior FO cannot hold an ATPL and Jetstar won't or can't employ a cadet as a "Full" FO.

One of my employees fell into this one - he had already given notice and we have already filled his job :ugh:

I hope Oxford get drilled for this. It won't ruin his career but it's a hell of a knock for a confident young bloke :=

SARWATCH
6th Aug 2010, 07:31
there's no 34R at MB

get your insults right

metrosmoker
6th Aug 2010, 07:32
Do you work for an airline Jethro?
If not, then considering that all airlines charge for the selection process, it would be safe to assume that you will never apply to or work for an airline?
If you do work for one, how is the view from your seat? Pretty good?
Nice to be able sit up high and hang **** on guys who are only doing what it takes to get a job with the airlines these days.

Not one person has ever came out and said they agree with the way things are going. High paying G.A jobs are rare. So for guys who don`t have one of them, paying $30k for an endoresment that will give you a $30k payrise in your first year, makes perfect economical sense.

Case in point, Me.
I am enjoying my Jet* job? Yes.
Would I like to be payed more and not have payed for my endorsement? Absolutely.
Is it much more than I was on in G.A? Close to $40k more.
Do I like taking off out of Darwin and looking down at the piston`s I used to fly? More of a relief than anything.
Do I like being able to afford to live in a place with airconditioning and not neighbouring on an Aboriginal housing estate? You wanna believe it.
Do I feel bad for doing what I had to do to get where I am?
Not in the slightest. Cause they guy that would have taken my job had I not wouldn`t be giving the first damn thought about my plight.
I live in the real world , not your pilot fantasy land. Wake up to yourself.

KRUSTY 34
6th Aug 2010, 09:10
Thanks Horatio'.

Should've read the first post more carefully.

$60K now for a Jet job, and wages comensurate with turbo-prop F/O (after salary sacrifice). Looks like the death of general entry to me!

Enjoy your povety boys and girls. :ooh:

Back Pressure
6th Aug 2010, 12:16
Faaarck GA is a mess in this country. Is it better anywhere else on this planet ?

I'm not an aviation pro - recreational for me - but I am astonished at the attitude that seems to be prevalent here that you've just got to bend over and take it up the Rse.

Absolutely no way would that be acceptable in the IT world that I inhabit. Your employer needs you to have a particular skill that you don't yet have ? Then they pay for the training - the concept that I would have to pay for it myself so my employer could reap the benefit ? Ludicrously laughable !!! And this applies to ANY occupation, except, it seems, to flying an aircraft ???????????

Time for all you people to grow some cohones and say NO. Jethro is 100% correct, although his is a small voice (just like mine), and so will probably make no difference - because lots of you pilots out there working for money seem to have given up and resigned yourselves to dealing with the status quo.

You folks need a good strong union, or else get out of aviation and stop whinging.

PS. I really not having a go at pilots - this is a work issue - I'd say the same thing to brickies' labourers if they were in the same boat.... (yeah, mixing metaphors etc)

BurntheBlue
6th Aug 2010, 13:06
Here here BackPx.... Not a truer word spoken, perhaps I shall add my small voice to yours and together we shall make a slightly louder but still small voice....

....will it grow yet louder?

The Bunglerat
7th Aug 2010, 01:09
You folks need a good strong union, or else get out of aviation and stop whinging.

...And there it is from an "expert." The thing is, Back Pressure, in principle you are absolutely right. However, and by your own admission, you are commenting as someone on the sidelines who has the luxury of flying recreationally - rather than being in the thick of it as someone who actually is employed in this industry, and therefore has a very different perspective. As such, the comment, "don't judge a person until you've walked a mile in their shoes" comes to mind. I agree with you, only to the extent that I'm not in any kind of union organisation for the reasons you already suggest: we have no strong union in this industry; just fragmented groups that, for all their roaring, amount to little more than toothless tigers.

I'm not going to get into a long-winded rant about the many reasons people choose to be in aviation, suffice to say that once you've invested a significant part of your life - and life savings - into a particular profession, it's not always so straightforward to simply "get out and stop whinging." A return on the investment needs to be generated - even if for some it is a diminishing return. The saddest part is that our industry has come to the point where comments like Metrosmoker's are the norm, albeit completely understandable, i.e. "I should never have to pay for an endorsement to get a job, but if I don't, someone else will." In the end, you can always stand on principle with hand on heart and say NO, but doing so will only cut your nose to spite your face.

As for one of the organisations at the centre of this thread topic, I've had previous first-hand experience working for them in their former incarnation, and all I can say - with eyes rolling into the back of my head as I do so - is 'nothing surprises me.' I just thank God that this aspect of my career in aviation is now a distant memory.

43Inches
7th Aug 2010, 04:10
Metrosmoker;

Nice to be able sit up high and hang **** on guys who are only doing what it takes to get a job with the airlines these days.

Two years ago the airlines were complaining that they can't find pilots and were hirning just about anyone. So just a year or so later everyone is so desperate (or impatient) to get a jet job they will now shaft themselves out of future income?

Not one person has ever came out and said they agree with the way things are going. High paying G.A jobs are rare. So for guys who don`t have one of them, paying $30k for an endoresment that will give you a $30k payrise in your first year, makes perfect economical sense.

But not only are you paying at least $30k upfront, most are agreeing to very reduced terms and conditions. I think the overall value being given up here is far and above Krustys' $210k when you count in the income lost over a career compared to a number of years ago, think long term not just the next few years.

I spent a long time in GA when the airlines were not hiring anyone, have not paid for a job or endorsement since I started working many years ago.

Not in the slightest. Cause they guy that would have taken my job had I not wouldn`t be giving the first damn thought about my plight.
I live in the real world , not your pilot fantasy land. Wake up to yourself.

This unfortunately sums up most pilots attitudes to each other. The aviation world is the fantasy world, where else would workers pay $30k for a job for which they already hold the relevent qualifications, the endorsement is the companies problem as they see fit to pay for it once your employed (because they have too!). Tell an engineer to pay $30k to learn the individual characteristics of the building he will be paid to maintain or charge a truck driver one third to half his income to learn how to drive the new rig you bought for him to drive. You will get a very blunt answer.

Sue Ridgepipe
7th Aug 2010, 07:41
charge a truck driver one third to half his income to learn how to drive the new rig you bought for him to drive
43Inches I think your argument is a bit flawed there. Most adds I see for truck drivers require that the applicant already hold the required licence before applying for the job.

If, however, your current employer deicdes to buy a new rig for you, then that is a different story. In that case I would expect an employer to bear the cost of training you to operate it. Just like I would expect J* to bear the cost of training their employees to operate the new 787s when they arrive.

Don't get me wrong, I do not agree with this pay-for-type rating crap, just I don't see the logic in your argument.

43Inches
7th Aug 2010, 08:36
43Inches I think your argument is a bit flawed there. Most adds I see for truck drivers require that the applicant already hold the required licence before applying for the job.

Heavy ridgid licence cost me $500aud including test a few years back, first years work at least $30,000 and up. But thats not the point, The HR Licence is like getting your CPL, it allows you to drive that range of vehicles. What i'm getting at is if you decided to work for someone who then operated a Kenworth for example would you pay out another $10k for training on it?

CASA just mandates a specific type endorsement and minimum training for each type. The airlines then to save money (and make some) has passed that cost onto you as the pilot. I have no problem with pilots paying for their initial training, but to pay to train on someones particular equipment to offset the cost of operating and compete with established operators is beyond reasonable. Everybody loses in the end as the only way to compete with workers subsidising their operations is to eventually do the same yourself.

Bo777
7th Aug 2010, 10:15
Anyone believe in karma?:}

ejet3
7th Aug 2010, 10:30
LOL I wouldn't work at OAA just get single engine 172 time 2000 hours 172 day VFR great hours no chance of getting on the c90 :} plus doing IFR in a aircraft that has out of date GPS databases :ugh:
:D

newagebird
8th Aug 2010, 06:55
the old boss is out guys, the boys from england run the show now.

The Bunglerat
9th Aug 2010, 00:47
Really? I heard they kept him on in a "consulting" capacity. Oh well, no love lost there. The former CFI was an absolute gentleman & one of the best bosses I ever had in this or any other industry, but as for RC, I think it best I bite my tongue and say as little as possible.

Snatch
9th Aug 2010, 04:48
If there are any other ATPL holders out there sucked in by this mob:

OAA have basically taken you for a ride and you are out of pocket for something you were NEVER eligible for.

Did you lose a day (or more) of paid work for this?

Did you travel from interstate for this?

How far out of pocket are you?

Whether you got the position or not, ATPL holders never got what they thought they were paying for: a shot at Jetstar.

If Jetstar/OAA aren't going to accept ATPL holders for the Advanced Cadetship, then every ATPL holder who applied is entitled to claim from OAA not only their $330 application fee but every expense incurred in reliance upon OAA's statements.

At least one fella has lost his position - how are OAA going to compensate for that? :=

Col. Flagg
9th Aug 2010, 05:11
I must say this is a massive balls up!

What is the state of play at the moment with this whole program? does anyone actually know?

Flagg

overhere
9th Aug 2010, 06:43
Can anyone confirm the above statement that assessment days were conducted differently? This is also a major issue in the recruitment process.

onezeroonethree
9th Aug 2010, 10:16
Can anyone confirm the above statement that assessment days were conducted differently? This is also a major issue in the recruitment process.

Affirm. :)

CRM87
11th Aug 2010, 00:40
Jetstar have just started a cadetship because apparently there is a "pilot shortage" yet they have 60 direct entry pilots in a hold pool. And they won’t hire cadets with an ATPL. Imagine if the general public knew Jetstar were hiring far less experienced pilots for the sake of saving 40k in salary! Today Tonight loves stories such as this. :E

I feel real sorry for all the ATPL holders who went for the interview. Travel costs plus time off work and $330.00 for the interview. If they are not excepting ATPL holders, I would be calling them up asking for compensation. :*

Best of luck!

Jethro Gibbs
12th Aug 2010, 06:24
$330.00 for the interview For F#&k Sake
I cannot believe people pay for an interview they should be paying for your time.:ugh:

fokkerplod
12th Aug 2010, 11:36
Oxford (CSE as it was then) back in the UK have been doing this for years as they charged me £400 at the time for a BMI selection process, only to be told on the day; again after travelling to Kidlington at great expense, oh youve got too many hours (about 200hrs s.eng and passed my frozen ATPL exams), and youve too much experience and thanks for the money.... w**nkers

Never mind got a job the hard way and stuff them, now on B777 :ok:

fokkerplod

Mr. Hat
12th Aug 2010, 11:38
Its all part of the training to work for Jetstar. Get used to being ripped off right at the start will hold you in good stead for when you are sitting in your new airbus.

ejet3
12th Aug 2010, 13:36
How are you going to get the stats tho? eg the amount of hours people had when they applied and what % got rejected who had a atpl and the % who didnt have a atpl? :}

Good luck jetstar will just say sorry this people didn't pass the interviews etc :rolleyes:

A37575
12th Aug 2010, 15:01
nd then through reduced salary as a Junior FO

Are you saying a "junior" first officer is actually second in command of an A320 with 150 plus passengers who assume obviously wrongly that their plane is crewed by two very experienced pilots. :eek:

SgtBundy
12th Aug 2010, 16:46
Are you saying a "junior" first officer is actually second in command of an A320 with 150 plus passengers who assume obviously wrongly that their plane is crewed by two very experienced pilots.

That's where you get the "budget" part of budget airlines isn't it? :}
Other than charging for food, the loo and carrying more than your wallet on board.

27/09
13th Aug 2010, 00:06
it's not explained clearly on their website.........

Why would they want to? Otherwise even those with the rose tinted glasses would see how maddenly bad this modern slavery is.

strim
13th Aug 2010, 01:04
Why, as an ATPL holder, would you even apply for this 'scheme'?

On paper you are qualified for a number of other opportunities. Just wait and keep the hours building up.

WTF is the rush to get into a jet these days!?!

It's starting to get me down, the fact there aren't too many career options in Australian airlines anymore that you don't have to pay for. What a twisted industry. :(

Metro man
13th Aug 2010, 01:34
If you've got the experience (2500hrs on a EFIS jet >30tons) start looking overseas. Emirates will fly you to Dubai business class, put you up in a nice hotel and feed you when you go for interview.

If successful you'll get a free type rating, free furnished accommodation, free medical care and a provident fund. Tax free salary, car loan, transport to and from work, they even dry clean your uniform for you.

If you want better terms and conditions look at Asia and the Middle East.:ok:
Australia is just a race to the bottom, only worth it if you get into QF mainline while you're young.

j3pipercub
13th Aug 2010, 02:33
God I love Prune!:bored:

morno
13th Aug 2010, 02:49
I'm with you Strim, what is the race?

Maybe things should go back to the way they were 15-20 years ago, when you'd have 3-4,000hrs by the time an airline even looked at you.

If everyone would stop the race, then maybe they'd all stop f**king up T&C's for everyone else behind them.

morno

SgtBundy
13th Aug 2010, 04:07
As someone who was seriously looking at these schemes, here was how I looked at it (ab initio mind you):

The full time training was covered by HECS/FEE HELP. While there was still out of pocket, it was less painful than doing the same out of my own pocket directly.
The J* program offered employment at the end of it. Granted the reality of the J* role does not seem to line up with the glossy advertising.
Direct line into an A320. Who doesn't want to fly shiny jets?
Shorter timeline than the outback hard yards route.As I was looking at it from the position of wanting to change careers but still support my family, there was no way I could do several years on $30k and uncertainty. A known 18 months of struggle, and a step onto the bottom rung of an airline seemed a milder compromise and more likely to allow me to move higher in a few years.

Having yet to complete my first full hour of flying I won't pretend to know how getting experience the cadet route or the GA route stacks up. Being unable to get flying out of my head since my first lesson and taking inspiration from the various photo threads, I really don't mind the thought of building hours "the long way". Unfortunately I can't support three kids and a wife for what I see on offer on that track. Just getting up to a CPL level is a struggle enough, even on a decent IT salary.

Nadsy
13th Aug 2010, 04:52
Sgt Bundy,

I think there are a lot of people out there who can see it from your point of view, myself being one of them. I've had 'half' a go at the GA route and still have plans to try (still need many hours, especially Twin).

Time's ticking for me though, and I think I have another 2 - 3 years left to make something of it by way of dragging my family to the outback (while leaving a perfectly good IT contract position behind that I've had for 5 years).

I have tried for cadetships before, and will try again (as contentious as they are in these forums), as they do offer a person in my (and your) position a good chance to get to where we eventually want to be. Leaving the discussion about whether I should or shouldn't apply for the greater good of aviation aside, I do believe that one needs a plan B (in my case plan A) through the conventional hour building route. There are so many if's and but's when it comes to cadetships... they're not a sure thing, and are almost like the lottery in some ways.

All the best with your next lesson!

Nads.

lunars
13th Aug 2010, 05:28
The pay for a JFO from the ACP would be about say 40K
The pay for an FO would be about say 85k

so take 5 years of work JFO gets paid 200k
FO gets paid 425K

so for the Jetstar management JFO would be good
if they get say 50 JFO 10000k pay for the 5 years
if they get 50 FO then 21250K

so if you work out these are big figures for the Airline.
Do you think in all honesty that they would want to do the right thing by giving jobs to the experienced pilots???????????????????

This group of AJ ,BB DH and all are not going to let that happen
They will go and play any dirty tricks inorder to get there bonuses.

Only when the public understands the importance of expereince in the cockpit then maybe we can see a change.

Mr. Hat
13th Aug 2010, 06:06
The day will come when they'll care it'll come!

lunars
13th Aug 2010, 06:29
With all due respect
The day will come when the public will care
And this is not far away.......

the things did come very close a year ago or 2
But they got out of jail.......
Because there was some experience in the cockpit......

I hope and pray that it wont happen.......

Time will Tell.

ejet3
14th Aug 2010, 06:53
Why would you apply to jet star if you hold an atpl i would much rather try for vb or qlink direct entry or the cadet program they have running or even rex!

like_that
15th Aug 2010, 01:58
So much negativity.

das Uber Soldat
15th Aug 2010, 02:33
I'm with you Strim, what is the race?

Maybe things should go back to the way they were 15-20 years ago, when you'd have 3-4,000hrs by the time an airline even looked at you.

If everyone would stop the race, then maybe they'd all stop f**king up T&C's for everyone else behind them.

mornoWhat was the GA salary back then in real terms? Better or worse than now.

I understand your attitude but im having a hard time living on GA twin wages alone. If GA paid a bit better id probably be happy to hang around until 4000 tt.

edit: Disclaimer: This jet* ACP program is aids and I never even applied for it.

KRUSTY 34
15th Aug 2010, 03:08
20 years ago typical G/A salary, Casual, so no allowances whatsoever, flying Aerostar, Baron, C310, and Cheiftain: $150-$180 per day. Sometimes 5 days a week, sometimes 1! Flexible second Job essential.

15 years ago, Bank-runs, Full time, sick leave, 6 weeks annual leave, same aircraft types: $30K P/A (award), = $880 per fortnight in hand after Tax!

If you factor in what should have been nominal CPI increase over the years, those figures should amount to approx 50% more! Somehow I don't think so! Probably one reason why the participation rate for young Aussies learning to fly has dramatically decreased over the last ten years.

Cadetships are a way to get 'em young while they have stars in their eyes, are living at home with Mum and Dad, and have absolutely no Idea of what this game is all about.

Pure Evil. Clever (untill the Sh!te hits the fan of course), but Evil! :E

Nadsy
15th Aug 2010, 21:49
They're already doing the 'Idol' style recruitment (kind of):

Air Asia Pilot Blog (http://blog.airasia.com/index.php/so-you-wanna-be-a-pilot)

A37575
16th Aug 2010, 13:05
Only when the public understands the importance of expereince in the cockpit then maybe we can see a change.

Ain't never gonna happen. The pax see a bloke with three bars on his/her shoulders and the mandatory Tom Cruise fighter pilot sunnies over his head. To your average Labour voting bogan this reflects real experience. Four bars are better still.:ok:

Worrals in the wilds
17th Aug 2010, 00:42
The only way it will happen is if you all start telling them, but PPRuNe is not as widely read as all that.

No doubt you've all seen Police Union ads over the years when they're negotiating pays, usually well directed, eye catching little movies about the difficulties of being a cop...of course Police work for one employer that has to obey basic IR rules (unlike some of the smaller GA operators:hmm:), but the public awareness factor has been a big part of several sucessful emergency services wage negotiations in the past.

If the information on here was more widely available (and a little more coherent at times:}) you probably would garner quite a bit of public support. Unfortnately that hasn't happened and the average person still thinks you're all on 300K a year plus all-you-can-eat hosties. They will keep thinking that until you tell them otherwise, because it's certainly not in your respective employers' interests to have your actual wage details out there.

Start an organized campaign and get the words 'public safety' and 'experience' in it, and you may change your public image (particularly if you point out that Australia is losing experienced pilots to overseas due to poor conditions here). Otherwise, your employers will remain safe in the knowledge that they can keep offering peanuts and their customers won't care.

boardpig
17th Aug 2010, 00:47
"Only when the public understands the importance of expereince in the cockpit then maybe we can see a change."

I dis-agree, only when the idiots who keep backstabbing each other to get ahead to the bottom of the pile understand that operators are the only winners here, then mabey we can see a change.

You're doing it to yourselves!!:ugh:

Osama Bin Liner
17th Aug 2010, 03:57
Worth a read...................

http://www.pprune.org/showthread.php?p=5874114#post5862548

onezeroonethree
17th Aug 2010, 09:01
Worth a read...................

http://www.pprune.org/showthread.php...14#post5862548

Just added my $0.02 :zzz:

havick
17th Aug 2010, 10:33
It's a shame to hear such sentiments about the school.

I remember in the SAS and GFS days, you could still take a 210 away on weekends, PA31's etc..

ejet3
6th Sep 2010, 02:04
Any news? i don't think this will go anywhere, i have a mate who got though with over 2000 hours and a atpl!

bogdantheturnipboy
6th Sep 2010, 05:56
oh no, your friend might find he gets booted out as well!

Col. Flagg
6th Sep 2010, 22:26
This is a honest question. Why would a 2000+ with ATPL pilot apply to a cadet program?????
Seems like those guys that are 30 and go out trying to pick up 18 year old girls, a bit desperate.
Can they not get any job otherwise? AFAP seems to have a heap of jobs for just that sort of pilot not to mention that Jetstar just advertised for direct entry FO positions in NZ and Singapore.

strim
7th Sep 2010, 00:29
Why would a 2000+ with ATPL pilot apply to a cadet program?????

Good question. Perhaps no multi time? Can't think of any other sensible reason.

27/09
7th Sep 2010, 05:10
An ATPL with no multi time? Really? How does that work? How many singles are there out there that have a requirement in the flight manual to be flown two pilot?

polair911
7th Sep 2010, 05:11
it looks like it's not just happening in Australia alone, take a look at the Fragrant Harbour forum.

Ever since Cathay opened their cadetship on the international level, even people with over 1000 hours are applying for it......

As I am still in-experience in the industry, I wouldn't know how to comment on this situation, the only thing I gotta is: "I've got a bad feeling about this".

worldwide cadetship just seems like it's diverting the programme away from its original aim of training (quality) pilot, it's more like "Ooooo we need to have more pilots in the cockpit just to satisfy the legal requirement for having the minimum crew......doesn't matter if they know how to fly, it's like using Window XP anyway.":rolleyes:

Sad to see im trying to enter such industry (tho I still love flying....), it was once something I looked up to......

maverick22
7th Sep 2010, 05:31
An ATPL with no multi time? Really? How does that work? How many singles are there out there that have a requirement in the flight manual to be flown two pilot?

I think you need to have a look through the requirements for an ATPL(a). There is no requirement for Multi-Engine or Multi-Crew experience

clinty83
7th Sep 2010, 08:38
I'm not surprised this has come up again.

Id like to put it out there and ask if anyone has or is successfully progressing through this course?

27/09
7th Sep 2010, 09:26
Maverick 22

I think you need to have a look through the requirements for an ATPL(a). There is no requirement for Multi-Engine or Multi-Crew experience

While there might be no multi engine requirements stated it is going to be a bit hard to compy with the following when it come to the flight test for the ATPL. I quote from the relevant AC for Part 61

Aircraft, equipment and facilities required for the flight test
An aeroplane is to be a multi-engine aeroplane of at least 5700 kilograms MCTOW or a multiengine
aeroplane which the Director has approved as performing to the equivalent operational
standard as an aircraft used in airline operations

Also I think you miss my point about multi crew and singles.

The main privilege of an ATPL is to be P in C of a multi pilot crew for hire and reward, so why would you bother with an ATPL on a single that doesn't have the need for two crew?

maverick22
7th Sep 2010, 10:31
27/09

We are obviously talking about different things. I was referring to an Aussie ATPL, which does not require multi-crew or multi-engine time (strangely enough), or even a flight test for that matter. I don't know anything about requirements for an NZ ATPL if that's what you are talking about.

LHA649
11th Mar 2011, 06:42
hi everyone,

I read plent of information on the OAA and CTC programme by Jetstar, but there is not chance of contacting anyone.

Can anyone tell me which one of these to options is the better one?

Cheers,

Tim

404 Titan
11th Mar 2011, 06:50
Comfy chair → Check
Pop corn → Check

This is going to be real good to watch. :rolleyes: :ooh:

27/09
11th Mar 2011, 08:02
I read plent of information on the OAA and CTC programme by Jetstar, but there is not chance of contacting anyone.

Can anyone tell me which one of these to options is the better one?

Well.................

Since you asked.................

One is like putting a loaded gun to your head with your left hand and pulling the trigger amd the other is doing the same but with your right hand.

Your choice really.