PDA

View Full Version : Type Endorsements >5700kg

Snatch
4th Aug 2010, 08:00
Who can do endorsements on an aircraft >5700kg?

Hypothetical:

Let's assume (for the sake of the discussion) I have META and current Grade 1 flight instructor rating, and I am a delegate under CAR 5.23 or whatever it is that allows you to issue an endorsement.

I also have several hundred hours on type, say, a Metro 23 or B1900.

Conversion training is a private operation - what's stopping me doing B1900 endorsements (aside from standard ideas about good operating practice) as a private operation?

megle2
4th Aug 2010, 08:48
Its being done by others so I guess nothing!
They even advertise.

Grogmonster
4th Aug 2010, 10:22
Basically you may be correct but lets just say you would be foolhardy to try to do this without a properly vetted, read approved, ground school of at least 3 - 5 days duration followed by a systems exam and then a minimum of 8 - 10 hours in the aircraft.

In light of the recent tragic accident in Darwin CASA is looking at mandating that all such training be done in a level D simulator. I for one would not recommend that you attempt V1 cuts in a B1900. Many have tried and some have died. It is just not worth the effort. Don't go there.

Flightsafety International do a wonderful job for around $30K USD. You may think that that is expensive but as they say, "If you think that is expensive try having an accident".

Groggy

Snatch
4th Aug 2010, 10:54
Grogmonster

Thank you - I understand all that and I agree with every ounce of my being :ok:

I specifically said: (aside from standard ideas about good operating practice) to keep it simple.

My question is about the strict legalities and the mandatory requirements - the hypothetical above cuts out the verbiage and simply goes to the heart of it.

Could a corporate (private) operator of a B1900/Metro/Jetstream/CASA212 (with appropriately qualified and experienced staff) without a CAR 217 approval and without a flying school, conduct endorsement training on [ ] type aircraft?

..And could a Charter operator do the same? I can't find anything that says no.

pcx
4th Aug 2010, 21:13
Under current rules I think the answer is yes.