PDA

View Full Version : Skywest to offer Cadetship

WannaBeBiggles
2nd Aug 2010, 22:40
Saw this announcement (http://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20100803/pdf/31rpkf1j4gvvp6.pdf)this morning however cannot find any info on the skywest website.

Anyone know more details?

Is this the future of airline recruitment in Australia?

Capn Bloggs
2nd Aug 2010, 23:06
The program will be offered to candidates with little or no flying skill
That's me! Where do I sign? :E

one dollar short
3rd Aug 2010, 05:18
And before we go down the "aircraft management Vs stick and rudder" debate and how a cadet can make a perfectly suiatble jet FO, Just remember these guys are still doing NDB/circling approaches at non controlled black hole aerodromes on a regular basis, where as i hate to say it (ducks for cover) stick and rudder and a few years in the bush are big points.

mic310
4th Aug 2010, 01:30
Are the VB/VAust. set to follow this trend in OZ????????? Time will tell

K3nnyboy
4th Aug 2010, 07:10
I think it is very likely VB's gonna follow, otherwise they're gonna fall behind others??? Just a wild guess, but does that mean no one gonna be working up in the bush?:ouch:

Mr. Hat
5th Aug 2010, 04:03
Certainly hope not k3nny. Lets hope vb can attract and retain experienced people the way they have over the last few years (by offering better working conditions than their counterparts bar QF of course). Yes I know about VA/PB and the displaced during the GFC but all in all they simply offer a better deal. Its not just whats written in the eba, their staff seem to enjoy extra perks all over the place. Their pilot turn over is a fraction of what it used to be.

The only real cadetship in this country is that offered by QANTAS.

The rest of these schemes are merely a plot to attract and retain (bond/imprison) when conditions of employment are significantly inferior to other employers. Its also a way of diluting the number of militants come eba time. They are also a method of generating interest/publicity and of course another form of revenue. Don't confuse the one QF offers with any other.

These days you don't even need 500 multi command to get an interview with a major. So a few years in GA might nearly be a better proposition that paying who knows what and being tied for who knows how long to company X. I must say for some a cadetship like Jetstars could be a better proposition than the GA route (eg. family man wanting career change).

Good luck.

neville_nobody
5th Aug 2010, 05:21
If this is true then one of two things are going to happen. Skywest standards are going to be lowered significantly or these cadets are going to have to get a hellava alot of coaching, as I cannot see a 250 hour pilot getting through Skywest Check and Training, cadet or no cadet.

Gligg
5th Aug 2010, 05:45
Fast forward 10 years, to a flight deck conversation....

F/O 'So, Cap, what's your flying background?'

Capt. 'Well, Billy, i took what's called the 'self improver' route

F/O 'ummmm what's that?'

Capt. Well, I could bore you with the details, but to cut long story short - back in the early days, co-pilots used to earn a salary, not just captains.

F/O Wow! Really? Then what went wrong?

Capt. Cadetships, son, cadetships...

White and Fluffy
6th Aug 2010, 03:24
Its interesting that they are trying to sell this as a chance to support local business and to give Perth based pilots a chance to enter an airline, yet they have outsourced the whole process to a Melbourne based company. Are there no flying schools in Perth that could provide them with the required training?

Does anyone have any info on Altara. It doesn't appear that they have any facilities, aircraft or resources of their own.

like_that
6th Aug 2010, 05:45
:ugh:Interesting... no details what so ever. I wonder when Air North, Sky Trans and Air South and Bridabella will follow suit. Strange days indeed.

Osama Bin Liner
6th Aug 2010, 06:05
I believe Altara is based in the terminal at Essendon Airport, I think they use Pearson Aviation for the flight training:eek:. Interesting to note that Altara are also providing cabin crew for Jetstar.

Kelly Slater
6th Aug 2010, 07:29
They are not offering a cadetship, they are selling a cadebitship just like the rest.

downwind
10th Aug 2010, 04:26
this is not a new thing for skywest they used to do with with old ansett cadets from ansett in the early 1990's so it won't be a problem, known procedures already.

Jnr380
16th Aug 2010, 07:38
Would love to know if its partial paid like REX or Self funded like QANTAS? Not like i have a chance because I dont have 0 zero hours lol

Also OSAMA dont know your story with pearsons (hence the "EEK!" face), but i did my MECIR upgrade (SECIR) there with no problems.

PPRuNeUser0163
22nd Jan 2011, 01:05
anyone know what the go is with the cadetship?

heard some people say cadets are already down at essendon yet applications arent yet open on the website?

LHA649
2nd May 2011, 08:06
where on earth is the online application and general information about the cadetship e.g. fees

Tidbinbilla
2nd May 2011, 08:33
They will become available within the next 12 months when the program is in place, according to press reports.

FlyGirlFlying
20th Sep 2011, 08:57
Hello,how are you going.I have been in contact with Altara.Contact them directly through their website for all applications on the cadetship for Skywest.:)

Track5milefinal
20th Sep 2011, 09:21
I thought they were putting an end to all these cadetships? :confused:

Capn Bloggs
20th Sep 2011, 14:01
I wonder what changed their mind all of a sudden
The world is finally running out of pilots. :ok:

BoundaryLayer
21st Sep 2011, 05:33
Interesting update regarding this cadetship. Their website needs updating if this is indeed true. It still mentions Q1 11 (and Perth based Fokker 50s).

Given the expectation of VA running a cadetship next year, how does this fit in, if at all? Will the VA one be for the Skywest operated ATRs on the East Coast??

YSSY sider
30th Sep 2011, 03:46
Ad in 'The Australian' today

Virgin Australia Airlines in partnership with Skywest Airlines is requesting expressions of interest from Wednesday 5th October 2011 for:

"The provision of training services for a Virgin Australia Group of airlines flight crew cadetship"...

jibba_jabba
30th Sep 2011, 06:36
With terms and conditions they are offering I dont think they will need a cadetship.

There are plenty of turboprop drivers in regional airlines that would go in an instant if they removed that retarded "year 12 passes in ...." requirement! wow. :ugh: