PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone shed some light?

Old 'Un
2nd Aug 2010, 21:39
Booked Christchurch to Wellington mid-afternoon last Friday with JetStar. Flight was delayed for about 4 hours. When I asked why, I was told "operational reasons" with no further detail. Noticed a Christchurch - Auckland flight was similarly affected.

Anyone know what the cause was? Purely to satisfy my and Mrs Old 'Un's curiosity.

Le Vieux

Car RAMROD
2nd Aug 2010, 22:20
"Operational Reasons" covers a very broad spectrum, including their "CBF factor" for doing that particular flight on that particular day.

jtr
2nd Aug 2010, 22:30
Some more common reasons for delays are:

Crew shortage/sickness
Engineering issue
Previous delay being carried through
Cancellation/combination of flights
Weather

Gaius Baltar
2nd Aug 2010, 22:54
I flew with Jetstar recently and there were delays and I was surprised just how good the communication from the pilots were. They kept us up to date the whole time and told us specifically what was holding us up. I was impressed!:ok:

Tarq57
2nd Aug 2010, 23:08
Could have had something to do with the fog in Auckland. (I think it was foggy there on Friday?)
When the visibility drops below a certain value, only aircraft that can perform to Cat 2 or 3 ILS can land there.

Artificial Horizon
2nd Aug 2010, 23:20
Generally these ongoing domestic delays late in the day are due to earlier weather related issues. Fog in Christchurch or Auckland effect the entire domestic operation due to all rotations transiting through these ports at some point in the domestic day.

If it was just your flight effected then it was probably a technical fault earlier in the day, if it was several flights effected then more than likely an earlier weather related delay.

RFN
2nd Aug 2010, 23:28
Probably caused by tech crew shortages as the pay is appalling and the crews don't work on their days off as a result, leading to um, operational reasons...

Iain320
2nd Aug 2010, 23:46
Yep, looks like it's due the AKL fog.

Most flights around the country have been affected today, due the delays flowing on....good luck! :)

Old 'Un
3rd Aug 2010, 00:53
Thanks, folks, had thought of most of the possible reasons you have given. Was hoping someone could have given a definitive answer. No matter, it was mainly of academic interest only anyhow.

One thing did make chuckle somewhat, though. The lass doing the PA announcements in the Ch'ch terminal used the line "Jetstar is committed to on-time departures". The flight she was calling to board was 3+ hours late already. :)

Le Vieux

ozbiggles
3rd Aug 2010, 02:50
This is an easy one
Operational delay is something the fault of the company that they don't want to admit too ie crewing, maint.
Anything that is not their fault they will tell you about exactly, ie weather, ATC delays etc etc.
Its all about the spin

aldee
3rd Aug 2010, 06:08
A while back we sat around for 3.5 hours because the national carrier had an "operational" problem, turned out the crappa was u/s, communication very poor and totally screwed our day:(

Doesn't take much to communicate.

jibba_jabba
4th Aug 2010, 03:54
I am going to say it was delayed due to another meeting about undercutting wages and offering cadetships?.... sorry.... there had to be a sarcastic entry...