PDA

View Full Version : Brussels airlines pricing madness

pedalbin
2nd Aug 2010, 20:18
On my regular commute from NCL to Brussels this morning there were exactly 12 people on a plane that can carry around 80. Last week was similar but a bit less empty.

Yet, to book a flight next week or the week after will cost nearly £400 for the cheapest ticket!

It must only be a matter of time before the crew outnumber the passengers.

Avman
2nd Aug 2010, 21:13
Probably better to carry 12 at £400 than 50 at £100, or a full 85 pax at £50. It's the holiday season and certain routes which are predominantly more business than leasure routes will take a drop in load factors during July and August. Also, it may depend on which day of the week and what time of the day your flights were. I fly Brussels Airlines regularly and find their fares reasonable and competitive.

boredcounter
3rd Aug 2010, 21:09
Just out of interest, what is your next best option for the commute?

flyingfemme
4th Aug 2010, 15:19
Bear in mind that Brussels is the seat of (possibly) the world's largest gravy train...........you wouldn't want the participants to have to claim small expenses, would you?
AIUI there is something about claiming the "cost" of an airline ticket but not actually having to buy one that figures largely in the expenses culture there. Presumably the lowest "cost" is well known in all Belgian business circles?

pedalbin
4th Aug 2010, 19:48
That would be Amsterdam with KLM. Always much cheaper but a slightly longer drive afterwards.

I didn't actually pay £400, because I booked weeks ago (around £150), but when I checked out of interest I thought they would be discounting. When I see prices this high I normally expect a packed flight not the marie celeste.

kenneth_md3
19th Aug 2010, 10:03
Might because of their lowest fare guaranteed

Brussels Airlines - Lowest Fare Guaranteed (http://www.brusselsairlines.com/en_be/look-for/promotions/lowest-fare-guaranteed.aspx)

"If you have already made your booking on Brussels Airlines - Book Cheap Flights Online (http://www.brusselsairlines.com) and find a better online offer for the same flights, exclusively operated by Brussels Airlines (hence, excluding code-share flights operated by Brussels Airlines’ partners), and same product (b.light economy, b.flex economy+, b.business, economy class or business class), we'll refund the difference + a 10% discount of the lower fare found."

pedalbin
23rd Aug 2010, 22:45
I had booked a Mon/Fri b.light economy which is supposed to allow changes for 'a fee and fare difference if applicable'. So yes I do in fact need to change my flights that week, to the next Mon/Fri the week after.

Going on the website I select the 'change flight' etc etc and choose the new times. The extra cost to pay on top of my original fare comes to £335 (that's £335 'fare difference' and no 'fee').

Quite alarming I thought so I just reloaded the website and rebooked a fresh flight as a new customer. The new flight comes to £275!!!

This has got to be a scam. How can an airline charge for a supposed semi-flexible product but then charge an additional fee that is more than just writing off the original flight and booking the desired flight afresh?

kenneth_md3
25th Aug 2010, 22:30
Have you tried to contact them on the phone ? Because if you tell them what you encountered on their website they should realize there is something wrong.