PDA

View Full Version : Night Rating - urgent advice needed!

Tigerdriver2006
2nd Aug 2010, 12:32
I am hoping to complete my CPL flight training at Bournemouth in the last week of this month (August 2010), but need to obtain a night rating before then for the purpose of licence issue. Clearly this isn't the ideal time of the year, and night training is not available at Bournemouth Airport during the summer months. I would be very grateful for any advice with regard to where and how I might go about this.

Sodastream
2nd Aug 2010, 14:05
You don't need to rush this. The Night Rating is only required for CPL issue, not prior to your skills test. So don't worry about it. Finish your course and when that's all signed and sealed, then worry about getting the right number of whatever hours the CAA require.
Plus, you don't need the night rating issued prior to the application for a CPL, only to have completed the training. Saves a few pennies that way round.

I'm surprised your CPL school didn't mention any of this. Odd!

Linda Mollison
2nd Aug 2010, 14:13
Not true Sodastream.

You don't actually have to have had it issued before you do your skills test, but it is a requirement to have done the necessary hours, solo take-offs and landings etc. Otherwise you need to do an extra 5 hours (at night) as part of your CPL.

From LASORS section D1.2D

An applicant who does not already hold a Night Qualification/Rating (Aeroplane) shall be given additionally at least 5 hours night flight instruction.

Linda Mollison

Tigerdriver2006
2nd Aug 2010, 14:40
Yes, the problem is that I have no night training hours at all. Bournemouth Commercial Flight Training's brochure states that for those students not already in possesion of a Night Rating, night training can be incorporated into the CPL training. What it didn't state was that night training is available at Bournemouth only during the winter months!

Linda Mollison
2nd Aug 2010, 14:47
Try Southend

Linda Mollison

Tigerdriver2006
2nd Aug 2010, 14:58
Thanks, Linda! The instructor who conducts night training is away today, but should be in tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Tigerdriver2006
4th Aug 2010, 08:16
Yep - Southend Flying Club can do it, but at a cost of £1400! :-( Oh well, my fault for not organising myself better...

MagicTiger
4th Aug 2010, 11:13
5 hours for £1400!!!

Sounds like daylight robbery if you ask me!

There are others, make some more research I say. Should max cost £800 - £1000.