PDA

View Full Version : Bose A20 aviation headset

ILblog
1st Aug 2010, 18:54
Hi

Had anyone chance to try new BOSE Aviation Headset? Especially compared t to old Bose Aviation X Headset with turbine rotorcraft.

matt82
1st Aug 2010, 19:32
The new Bose headset has been announced a few days ago at Oshkosh. Bose says, shipping will start in about 3 weeks.
So we have to wait about the hands on preview :)

pitot212
1st Aug 2010, 19:56
Any idea on price yet?

Pilot.Pete
1st Aug 2010, 20:19
A20 Aviation Headset - Overview ? Bose (http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/home-entertainment/headphones-and-headsets/a20-aviation-headset/index.jsp)

Proprietary technologies in the A20™ aviation headset reduce more noise than ever before, across the full spectrum of human hearing, in even louder environments. Advanced electronics now use microphones both inside and outside each ear cup to sense and reduce more ambient sound.
Improved Bose ear cushion technology helps further reduce unwanted noise. New cushion materials block more sound before it enters the ear cups, providing an even quieter headset experience.
And even greater comfort
The A20™ aviation headset also provides a new level of comfort and stability. The overall headset profile is more compact, but the ear cup cavity has been enlarged to allow more room for the ears. These proprietary cushions improve the ear cups' acoustic seals, even over eye glasses, and remain comfortable during long flights. The solid magnesium headband is extremely durable, yet lightweight, and its sheepskin cushion eliminates hot spots.
All these improvements have been achieved without increasing the headset's weight or clamping force. The A20™ headset weighs just 340 grams and exerts significantly less clamping force than most active headsets.
AUX IN and Bluetooth® technology convenience
http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/Images/p-a20-phone-connectivity_tcm6-30940.jpgThe redesigned control module (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/pop-up/Popups_a20-aviation-headset-ergonomic-control-module.jsp%27,%20575,%20450%29) now includes an auxiliary audio input with Intercom/AUX priority switching. Many pilots will want to use this input for dedicated GPS and traffic warning systems. You can set audio priority to mute the AUX input completely when intercom signal is detected, or to simply lower the AUX volume appropriately.
Bluetooth® mobile phone connectivity allows you to receive calls wirelessly while wearing the A20™ headset. And its enhanced EMI protection helps minimize interference from the mobile phone. Plus, the headset's integrated side tone provides a more natural feel to Bluetooth® phone conversations, even when you're disconnected from the intercom.
Smart power control
The power system in the A20™ aviation headset includes a smart shutoff feature that helps provide at least 45 hours of use from just two AA alkaline batteries. With the installed version of the headset, the technology intelligently switches from aircraft power to battery power as needed.
For all types of aircraft
The A20™ aviation headset is available in an installed, aircraft-powered version and in portable, battery-powered versions (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/pop-up/Popups_a20-aviation-headset-cable-connection-options.jsp%27,%20835,%20525%29) for various craft, including helicopters.
http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/Images/kf_A20_noise_tcm6-30955.jpghttp://www.bose.co.uk/design/GlobalImages/spacer.gifhttp://www.bose.co.uk/design/GlobalImages/spacer.gifhttp://www.bose.co.uk/design/GlobalImages/spacer.gifhttp://www.bose.co.uk/design/GlobalImages/spacer.gifhttp://www.bose.co.uk/design/GlobalImages/spacer.gif
Key Featureshttp://www.bose.co.uk/design/GlobalImages/spacer.gifSignificantly improved noise reduction
reduction across a wider range of frequencies. Proprietary Bose innovations now use microphones both inside and outside each ear cup to sense and reduce more ambient aircraft noise.
http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/Images/kf_A20_improved-ear-cushion_tcm6-30950.jpgImproved level of comfort
achieved through choice of materials, distribution of weight throughout the headset, 1/3 less clamping force than most conventional noise reducing aviation headsets, and additional room for the ears.
http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/Images/kf_A20_triport-structure_tcm6-30951.jpgTriPort® acoustic headset structure
available only from Bose, produces tonally balanced audio from relatively small and lightweight headphones.
http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/Images/kf_A20_active-equalization-_tcm6-30956.jpgActive equalization
electronically tunes the headphones' frequency response, enabling outstanding audio performance.
http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/Images/kf_A20_auxiliary-audio-input-_tcm6-30949.jpgAuxiliary audio input
on redesigned control module for connection to GPS and other devices. Multifunction switch Intercom/AUX enables priority switching.
http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/Images/kf_A20_bluetooth_tcm6-30952.jpgBluetooth® phone connectivity
lets you take calls wirelessly through the headset.

cptjim
1st Aug 2010, 21:05
Bose are telling everyone 2-3 weeks but my boss ordered his on Tuesday and had it by Friday. I haven't had a chance to try it but he loves it, especially the Bluetooth connection for the phone. Personally I get up in the air to get away from the phone calls, each to their own though.

chucksweet
2nd Aug 2010, 02:46
I bought a pair Thursday at Oshkosh and flew home with them in my Eurocopter EC130B4. I have also flown a couple of times since Thursday. They are very, very nice. They definitely have much better ANR than the X's I have. And the new features are cool. (Bluetooth, optional adapter cable to make them into standard aviation phones, etc)

The new Bose are more comfortable than the "X's", ..they cover the ear better and with less clamping pressure, the top band is more comfortable on my head, etc. They may be slightly smaller and lighter. The noise reduction is better for sure…way less low end rumble. It is amazing how quiet my helicopter is with them on. They quiet the helicopter noise significantly better than the "X's" or several other ANR phones I have.

Now under full disclosure, I am an audio engineer/musician so I am very particular to sound and sound quality...the following comments may or may not bother you....

The new A20s have a completely different sonic character than the "X's". I think I like this, I am just not sure, yet….they are much clearer..less low end mid range sounding. On the other hand, they are higher fidelity. Because they are clearer in my helicopter, you hear the noise gate of the intercom / mics cutting in and out more predominantly. Also, my voice is much louder in my own ears. It is a little distracting, at first. I do believe it is easier to hear radio calls and they are more clear, so I suppose that it is the ultimate goal.

The iPhone to the Bluetooth is very cool. It works great and I understand that on the calls I that I have made to my wife I was very easy to understand, etc.. It is a shame that Bose won't let you inject music into the Bluetooth.

I never really thought about or understood the whole concept of Bluetooth on the headset. Somehow, I just assumed it would inject the complete signal into the aircraft's intercom system, etc.. What really happens though is that the iPhone signal is injected into your headset ONLY. This means the rest of your passengers hear your side of the conversation through the Bose headset microphone via the aircraft's intercom system, but they can't hear the person on the other end of the phone. Obviously, this is much different than Bluetooth in my cars, where via the speakers everyone hears both sides of the conversation.

Alternatively, I can plug the audio out of my phone into the input on my PS Engineering audio panel and then everyone can hear both sides of the conversation, but the downside is that you have to physically hold the phone near your mouth and talk into it's microphone and not into the headset's microphone.

Neither solution is perfect, maybe you shouldn't be on the phone in an aircraft.-:)

My big beef with them is that I bought the panel powered version and I was disappointed to learn that you have to turn them on every time you start the aircraft. I now have to teach all of my passengers how to turn them on...argh...

On the X they just came on automatically as soon as they saw aircraft power..That is why I wanted panel powered phones. I don't need another thing to add to my checklist..."turn on headset".

I sent Bose my official complaint. Maybe they will change them if enough people complain.

So do I like them? yes!…did I order 6 more sets? not yet…I am not 100% satisfied due to the power problem/hassle.

Sorry for the long winded review.

Chuck

Gordy
2nd Aug 2010, 04:31
Hmmmm....and what about FCC rules about making cell phone calls from aircraft.... (In the US anyways).

chucksweet
2nd Aug 2010, 10:06
Hmmmm....and what about FCC rules about making cell phone calls from aircraft.... (In the US anyways).

Oh, I was on the ground when I called her!
Chuck

GlasairII
2nd Aug 2010, 18:59
I just ordered a set. The Bluetooth with installed connector are in stock and available for immediate shipment. I am hoping they are better than the Bose X I bought last month which have trouble in very noisy cockpit compared to the older Series II which I feel had superior active noise cancllation and very good passive.

The X is a good headset but not in my airplane :(.

I may have a pair of Bose X (used three times) for sale in a few weeks if these A20 work out.

cyclic_fondler
2nd Aug 2010, 21:04
I wonder how many over speeds will happen because the pilot can't hear the engine screaming during start-up when they're wearing these nose reduction head sets?

Noise gives you lots of clues about the health of the engine and even though it's nice to have a quiet office, it's always nice to be able to hear what's happening behind you.

CF

GlasairII
2nd Aug 2010, 21:20
With ANR headsets you can hear the engine, prop and all other noises including the spinning gyros just fine. ANR only reduces the intensity of the noises and it reduces the highest decible noises more than the lower ones. It doesn't make them disapear. You really don't miss out on anything and what you do hear is clearer because your auditory senses aren't overloaded and your ears aren't ringing.

If you have never flown with ANR, give it a try and you may be in for a very pleasent surprise. There is a reason many pilots will pony up the $1000.

cyclic_fondler
2nd Aug 2010, 21:57
GlasairII,

I have used them a number of times and love them but I've also had to run out and wave and get the attention of students who haven't noticed that the engine is screaming because they can't hear it.

CF

delta3
2nd Aug 2010, 22:03
Could perhaps be more a student thing than a ANR thing...

EN48
3rd Aug 2010, 00:32
Alternatively, I can plug the audio out of my phone into the input on my PS Engineering audio panel

For those that have a PSE PMA8000B audio panel, there is now a Bluetooth version (PMA8000BT) which allows both phone conversations and streaming audio from the iPhone (and some others) with the option of some or all occupants listening to music or participating in the phone call. Just took delivery of a new B407 with this audio panel and it is superb. It is my understanding that existing 8000B owners can return their panel to PSE for a BT upgrade for $400. Much better solution than BT in the headset IMHO. :ok: Lots of info on 8000BT here: PS Engineering :downloads (http://www.ps-engineering.com/downloads.shtml)

I have used the Bose Series X for as long as it has been available without a problem or complaint of any kind. Just ordered two of the A20's without BT and hope they are as good.

EN48
3rd Aug 2010, 01:09
I wonder how many over speeds will happen because the pilot can't hear the engine screaming during start-up

Dont wear the headset during engine start.

IntheTin
3rd Aug 2010, 03:17
cyclic_fondler, What! :hmm:

I have used these headsets for years and have never had any problems. Like EN48 says, just don't wear them during start-ups, and if they insist then have them turn on the ENR once the engine has started up!
When I was teaching students or instructors didn't put headsets on till the radios were on.

I have used them a number of times and love them but I've also had to run out and wave and get the attention of students who haven't noticed that the engine is screaming because they can't hear it.

Kulwin Park
3rd Aug 2010, 09:16
Chuck - not a long-winded reply, but an excellent one !!!!

Great insight into day-to-day operations mate - good work! :ok:

500e
3rd Aug 2010, 12:53
cyclic_fondler (http://www.pprune.org/members/50510-cyclic_fondler)

There is a REV counter as well, surely people are taught to look at it Especially on start up:{

tomotomp
5th Aug 2010, 12:15
anybody tried this headset in a S76B, if so dose the bt work ok.

student88
6th Aug 2010, 22:23
I am looking for some help from the Americans here.

I'm off to NYC for vacation in September and am hoping to pick up the A20 whilst I'm over there (will save me a few hundred). I don't suppose anyone knows of a pilot shop close to JFK or down town NY where I can pick up a set? I'm reluctant to purchase a set and have them posted to my hotel. Any suggestions?

Cheers, S88

MikeNYC
6th Aug 2010, 22:48
Student88,

There are two Bose stores in NYC that carry the full line of consumer products, as well as the aviation headsets. I just called both, and was told the A20's should come in about two weeks (I'm considering dumping my brand new Zulu and switching to Bose, so I was curious). One is in SoHo (downtown NYC), and the other is in Columbus Circle (midtown). However, obviously you won't be able to test them side by side against other brands. The Bose stores in Manhattan NYC:

465 Broadway
New York, NY 10013
212-334-3710

10 Columbus Circle
New York, NY 10019
212-823-9314

If you're looking for a pilot shop, the closest pilot shop to JFK is The Original Pilotshop (http://www.pilotshopusa.com/), located about 20 minutes east of the airport. However, I don't believe they carry the Bose line at their store. There may be an FBO at Republic Airport (KFRG, about 45mins east of NYC) that carries them, or possibly at Westchester airport (KHPN, about 1hr north of NYC). After that, you could try at Linden Airport in NJ (KLDJ, about 45mins south of NYC).

student88
7th Aug 2010, 00:21
What a fantastic reply! Many thanks. Have communicated with the Bose store on Columbus so will await their reply.

Thanks once again, S88

500e
7th Aug 2010, 12:12
Beyerdynamic HS 600 DANR (http://www.tropicaero.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=HS600)
Any one used these 40 dB, auto limiting, ship power or Battery's 2xAA
MP3 & Cell hook up.
Why are you dumping Zulus

MikeNYC
7th Aug 2010, 15:19
500e - the Zulu's have a real hard time when operating with a door removed and a lot of airflow in the cabin...my cheapo DC's do better. When flying FW, the Zulus are great... but the majority of time I spend in helicopters is with a door off. I've heard the Bose X's perform better in this situation, so I'm interested in trying out the A20s vs the Zulus for door-off work. Also, the Bluetooth in the Zulu's has some weird quirks... when it's turned on, there's a constant white noise in the background even when not on a phone call, and there's also no sidetone on the bluetooth when not hooked into an intercom. The Bose creates its own sidetone for bluetooth. Other than that, I really like the Zulu series.

Student88 - no problem!

rogerpenney
19th Aug 2010, 16:50
Bought a set from Harry Mendelssohn's the other day. Had my first flight today. The bluetooth works really well, made a phone call for bookout and to ring destination airfield before takeoff, wonderful, no aircraft noise and the other end could not believe I was in the aircraft. Made a call home from 2,000' and it worked no problem. You may have a problem with the phone trying to seek another mast as you progress along your track though. (Is it legal to do that or not?)

The microphone and speakers both work on bluetooth, so as long as the phone is paired with the headset, the headset does all the work. Perfect if you forgot to bookout and have to do it at the holding point!!

There was a slight leak in the door seal on the P2 side of the aircraft I was flying, the ANR had a problem with that, just a distant low wind noise, so constant wind noise from an open door or window is not good.

The new ear cups are slightly larger than the Bose X, so they fit me better, the ANR is better as well. Also less pressure on the ears. Definitely an improvement on the X. The carry case is a better design, takes up less space in the flight bag as well.
Got my X on eBay which i hope will offset the £920 cost of the A20.

No discount to be had on these, Bose fix the price for all dealers. Harry M. does free postage though.

Get one, you will not regret it.

Treadstone1
1st Sep 2010, 16:09
Hi

Is there a place in Kissimmee where i could buy a Bose A20 headset?

Anyone??

Thanks in advance

:ok:

Variable Load
2nd Sep 2010, 01:36
For me, the biggest failing of the X was the very poor passive noise attenuation. The comments that the clamping pressure with the new headset is much less makes me wonder if they have in fact made the passive protection even worsen with the A20?

Does anyone with an A20 want to fly with the ANR turned off and let us know how it performs?

HillerBee
2nd Sep 2010, 01:52
Passive noise reduction is a lot, lot better than the X.

hueyracer
2nd Sep 2010, 08:02
I tried the ANR once in a helicopter-and it is not my favorite...

Are there any headsets out there with MP3-conectivity and WITHOUT ANR?

Variable Load
2nd Sep 2010, 12:29
Passive noise reduction is a lot, lot better than the X.

It all sounds very positive. Thanks for the feedback.

delta3
2nd Sep 2010, 19:22
Just replaced my X's with 20's today and I am impressed

-> comfort better
-> noise canceling better
-> wifi phone incredibly handy

Felt like I need to fine tune some personal ops because this changes the landscape. (for instance : wifi connection set up = extra startup item)

Still did not get all the headsets though because Bose could not deliver all of them...

Turning off ANR is implicit, cfr previous posts, you have in fact to "turn on" manually the headsets. You are without ANR just after powering up and before you turn them on. I got good sound from the TWR when running idle.

d3

Canuck Guy
2nd Sep 2010, 19:41
Anyone know if the A20 will have the option of both low and high impedance mics like the X used to do?

meloni
2nd Sep 2010, 20:36
I need this option too.... anyone know more about that? for now looks it's only possible to have the A20 with the High impedance OR the low Impedance.....

Outwest
2nd Sep 2010, 21:53
Anyone know if the A20 will have the option of both low and high impedance mics like the X used to do?

From the "accessories" tab on the A20 Bose web site it looks like it will be the same system as the X was, you need to change the entire mic/control box when you want to go from low to high impedance. Also it looks like Bluetooth is not available with the 5 ohm mic.

prc
2nd Sep 2010, 23:55
if anyone has said so my apologies but I have Bose X in my Raven 2....do the A20's use the same plug?

CanAmdelta1
3rd Sep 2010, 00:18
I am well pleased with my Bose A20 headset. I have read in this forum that pilots(students) cannot hear the engine running away etc.
This is not a headset problem, this is a too much throttle setting when lighting the fire problem and not looking at panel for pressurre, temps and rpms.

I was taught to not put my headset on until immediately after engine start so that one would hear anyone screaming about some thing (dog) or someone approaching A/C, and this works for me in rural areas and also on a busy flight line in the metro area. I doubt I would have issue hearing even with headset on just havent tried it.

I however have no problem with hearing engine rpm while wearing the Bose A20 with or without ANR and this past Tuesday noticed, without looking, a 200 rpm increase during a taxi to the active.

I did slow flight-no problem hearing chirp of audible stall warning.
Power on stall- no problem hearing stall warning etc.
Power of stall- same, no problem hearing.
Conversation during PFL and securing A/C after shutdown without intercom- no problem hearing normal speech in passive mode.

I have used DC and some others since 1980 in high noise environs.
The Bose are considerably more comfortable, the DCs hurt my head and especially my ears.

Bluetooth works great and you can use them to listen to accessories whether you are plugged into panel or not. So far auto mute works well(used once)

meloni
3rd Sep 2010, 14:49
wow... sounds a bit expensive to swap the entire mic/control box.. :ugh::ugh:

About the comparison Aviation X Vs old school Bose (10-56 in my case..) it was the opposite:
No problem at all with the big and heavy 10-56 (fitted with gel ear pads), but some problem because of the clamping force when I was using the Aviation X...

I have to say that my head is pretty big, so is not completely Bose's fault :p

Cheers

Daniel

augarusa
3rd Sep 2010, 17:28
I bought an A20 and love the comfort and performance.
Unfortunately, the left ear piece was intermittent right out of the box.
I returned it to the retailer for exchange and was told they would have to send it back to Bose for "evaluation".
No timeline given.
So far, Bose has not responded to any of my inquiries.
Looks like I 'll have to buy a backup set and hope it works....out of the box.
Not impressed with the product support. :ugh:

But, when they work....they are great.

meloni
4th Sep 2010, 05:45
OUCH! i'm sorry to hear that! :confused:

tomotomp
9th Sep 2010, 16:43
have just tested the new Bose, blue-tooth works perfect in a very noisy cocpit (S76B) :ok::ok::ok:

struba
27th Sep 2010, 22:20
Has anyone tried the new Bose A20 directly against the Lightspeed Zulu in an aircraft? Would be very interested to know how they stack up against each other.

meloni
28th Sep 2010, 13:57
Also, How bigger are the ear cushion compared to the Aviation X? is true that the clamping force is smaller on the A20's?
I have used the Aviation X in the past, and the audio quality was great! but since my head is darn big they where unconfortable for long flight.

PS. waiting for more info about the A20, I'm upgrading my loved DC 10-56 (they are older than me!!) with an ANR kit....

Cheers

Daniel

hands_on123
13th Nov 2010, 21:14
Unfortunately, the new Bose A20 headsets are on a manufacturer backorder from Bose and all Bose resellers worldwide are out-of-stock on this headset at the current time. Bose has discovered issues with the cable assembly and are in the process of re-designing the cable assembly before allowing any more orders to ship.

Outwest
13th Nov 2010, 22:06
Bose has discovered issues with the cable assembly and are in the process of re-designing the cable assembly before allowing any more orders to ship

Really? I wonder if I will get a re-call notice?

EN48
13th Nov 2010, 23:41
I wonder if I will get a re-call notice?

Well, not yet, but a letter explaining the problem. See www.Bose.com/A20update (http://www.Bose.com/A20update) for more info. In order to receive this letter, I am guessing that you would need to have purchased your A20 directly from Bose, or returned a warranty card to Bose. I have two A20's and have experienced no problems so far.

Has anyone tried the new Bose A20 directly against the Lightspeed Zulu in an aircraft?

Yes, but this is most subjective and will vary by pilot and acft. In a B407 I find the A20 to be much superior in noise canceling performance, lighter and less bulky. The A20 does not exhibit the low frequency oscillation (rumble) experienced with the Zulu. My audio panel supports Bluetooth, so I have A20's without the Bluetooth option. I sold my Zulu.

EN48
29th Nov 2010, 12:40
Just received a letter from Bose re replacing the headset cord. The good news is that Bose will do this at no charge. The bad news is that one will be required to disassemble the headset (remove the cord - tools required) and send it off to Bose before they will send the replacement, so you will not have the use of the headset until Bose sends the new cord. Not a big deal if turnaround is quick, but not the most convenient approach. See Bose A20 Aviation Headset Customer Update (http://products.bose.com/message/nrt/a20/index.html) for full details.

sdryh
8th Dec 2010, 12:21
I have a pair of Bose A20 and I have started to get intermittent ANR failure on the headsets and I think the movement of the wire is the problem. This recent product problem with the wire replacement would explain a number of things. Not really happy that I have do do all the chasing and hard work to rectify the problem, when I think Bose should be sending out new leads to all customers? I think the A20's are fantastic, the best on the market, but the customer service at Bose stinks. I had 3-4 problems with my Bose X headsets, so much so that I sold them because I was sick of sending them back.

Anybody else had this problem with the A20's?

Sdryh

Cows getting bigger
8th Dec 2010, 18:59
Yes, see here.

Welcome to the A20 update page | Bose.eu - Bose® A20? Aviation Headset (http://a20update.bose.eu/index.html)

To be honest, I think Bose are doing quite well with organising the recall and replacement of the cables affected.

sdryh
8th Dec 2010, 22:14
They should be sending us the new cable and then we send them the broken one, not the other way round. Yes they are trying to rectify the problem, but they are going around it the wrong way.

Outwest
9th Dec 2010, 00:03
They should be sending us the new cable and then we send them the broken one, not the other way round. Yes they are trying to rectify the problem, but they are going around it the wrong way.

Completely agree!!!

Actually if the original cable is faulty and they know it, as sdryh says they should be sending out new ones and not worry about getting the old ones back.

This is very poor service from Bose.

rogerpenney
15th Dec 2010, 22:49
I bought an A20 from Harry Mendelssohn who is very good usually with prompt delivery etc.
When I heard of the recall I rang them to ask what was happening, was promised an update but got none.
Found the above Bose advice on the net but no instructions of how to get the cable changed. Eventually they put a return form on the site to fill in, UPS collected as a result of completing the form, but not until a week after the form was sent off via the net.
The cable then goes back to Belgium! Nothing as to say when the new one was being sent. Had to email Bose support who promise it's on the way and will be here tomorrow. Three weeks from filling the form in.
Must add that I did not have any of the reported problems with my set, love it, bluetooth is fantastic.
Think Bose could communicate a bit better. They must know who bought the sets as you have to register your ownership to start the warranty. The customer is always right is he/she not?

delta3
16th Dec 2010, 19:09
???

Here in Belgium they send them to Holland I was led to believe.

I have a question on procedure though.

When you have a bad batch, do you post it on the web to ask your customers to make a diagnosis or do you contact your customers with a recall notice as for instance a car manufacturer does.

Bose historically does not allow you to touch anything at the risk of loosing warranty, so I would think -in this logic- they have to take the lead.

My A20's (bought before October=suspect) work OK so far.
I was told to wait...

m2c
d3

IntheTin
17th Dec 2010, 10:10
I too got my A20's in October and have had nothing from Bose about any problems so I mailed them via their site. This was the reply.

Thank you for your inquiry.

To clarify, Bose has 'not' issued a recall on the Bose® A20 aviation headset.

This said, we recently received field reports that alerted us to certain performance issues relating to the newly introduced Bose® A20™ Aviation Headset. The symptoms that have been reported to Bose include loss or intermittent failures of audio, microphone function, and/or active noise reduction, as well as the possibility of a noticeable temperature rise in the control module.

Although the symptoms were being reported in a small number of headsets produced to date, we want to inform you of the potential for their occurrence.

We traced these issues to the down cable assembly portion of the headset, and we are working diligently to produce replacement down cable assemblies to provide to you, and all our A20 customers, free of charge.

Please contact our US Aviation Customer Service Department 1-877-626-2342 (outside of the US, 508-879-7330 EXT 62006) to arrange for the replacement of your down cable assembly. Have your headset’s serial number (found inside the control module) available when you call so that we may determine the date of your headset’s manufacture as well as the type of connector and down cable that you have. With this information, we will be able to provide you with a return authorization so that you can return your existing down cable assembly to Bose, free of charge. This reengineered cable will be included in all headsets shipped to customers starting in November of 2010.

We encourage you to exchange your existing down cable assembly for the replacement cable assembly. As we explained in our initial letter to customers, if you continue to use your existing down cable assembly, you could experience several different symptoms, including loss or intermittent failures of audio, microphone function, and/or active noise reduction, as well as the possibility of a noticeable temperature rise in the control module.

Your satisfaction is our top priority and we want to ensure your Bose A20 Aviation headset will provide you with many years of enjoyable and reliable use.

Thank you for contacting Bose Corporation.
Patrick
Product and Technical Support Team
-------------------------------------------------
Bose Corporation
US Telephone: (800)367-4008
International Tel: (508)766-1900
Email: Contact Bose Corporation (http://www.bose.com/ContactUs)
Fax: (800)278-7970
Telephone Hours: Mon-Fri 8:30AM-9:00PM, Sat 9:00AM-5:00PM (EST)
-------------------------------------------------

meloni
30th Dec 2010, 07:43
Hello,

Where I can get ( within Europe ) a pair of A20? ( Heli plug, blutooth )
I know there are planty of shops around.... but who has them in stock?

Thanks in advance for any advance

keys
3rd Jan 2011, 13:21
I have been using them in a AS365n AS365n2 and AS365n3 they are spot on they are brill much better than my old X's. Just keep an eye on the TOT you cant hear it light up:ok:

meloni
3rd Jan 2011, 20:53
supercool!

I have ordered mine from the local Bose dealer ( here in Italy.. ) they will be here within 3 weeks.... let's see .. I mean hear LOL!

I will let you know how I like it.

Right now on the 109S I'm using a set of David Cark fitted with the ANR kit from headsetinc.... I love them, confortable for my big head and quiet enaugh, but I have to say the overall audio quality and especially the microphone on the Aviation X ( the Grand come with those from the factory) are better.

Happy landings

chrisk96
4th Jan 2011, 14:07
Hi,
Can someone tell me if the sound quality for music via the aux-in is comparable with for example the Bose quiet comfort 3 bose headset?
This way i can enjoy music from my iphone while on the jump seat back home.... Would be nice to carry only 1 headset with me.

Appreciate a reply!
Regards,
Chris

John R81
4th Jan 2011, 17:14
You worry about the quality of music.....
Coming out of an iPhone......

"Tinnie" and lacking base, richness and depth I would think. Regardless of the headphone.

chrisk96
4th Jan 2011, 22:56
Thanks for the reply.
I guess i have to refrase my question into 2 new ones.
1 is the audio quality of the a20 in general comparable with the quiet comfort headset?
2 are people satisfied with the aux-in option on the a20?

Talking about quality of an iphone or mp3. I don't think it makes huge difference on quality when listening in an aircraft. It matters to me if the ANR is good for aux-in music like it is on the quiet comforts.

Thanks again,
Chris

EN48
5th Jan 2011, 20:15
Can someone tell me if the sound quality for music via the aux-in is comparable with for example the Bose quiet comfort 3 bose headset?

Cant answer your question specifically but can tell you that the music quality on the A20 is way better than acceptable. I use this with the iPhone streaming audio via a Bluetooh connection, and with an XM entertainment radio and the results are IMHO quite good taking into consideration that one is flying along in a noisy contraption known as a helicopter. Of course not up to high end studio headphones such as the Sennheiser HD800 but then you really cant use these in a helicopter.

Paddyviking
6th Jan 2011, 20:42
Has anybody any info on the new A20's mounted in a helmet
CEP's v's A20 any opinions
One earlier question was in relation to how bad the noise was when A20 is powered off :eek:

Outwest
7th Jan 2011, 00:20
Well 40 hours into my brand new A20 and they have crapped out. I thought I might get lucky and not have one of the duff mic cords but no such luck.

I can't believe I got sucked into buying another Bose. My X needed to go to the shop 3 times in the 5 years I had it, 2 of those times for cord/mic problems.

Bose is good about warranty repair issues within the 5 year period, but then with the reliability of this headset they need to be :ugh:

ytsouk
24th Jan 2011, 14:10
Hi

I bought my new A20 before couple months from USA.( I am staying in Greece), To be honest i did not have any problem with the cord that bose send an "notam" about that.
I do not have any ANR problem or something else. The only thing that i mentioned is that when i push , from the outside, the left headset , ANR ON,i am listing a short noise. This happens also when i have the ANR ON and take the headset out of my head.
I do not know if this is a problem of the cord but i am thinking of replace that cord from BOSE.

Any suggestions

Yannis

meloni
24th Jan 2011, 16:37
Well.... Today I got a phone call from the local bose dealer and he said that My a20 has arrived :p:p
Tomorrow morning on my way to work I'll pick up those new headset and see if they are a valid replacement of my loved DC fitted with an ANR module ..

I have no idea if I have the opportunity to fly this week since I'm on the night time shift and the weather is going to be crap, but let's see.....

A/C is a 109S

See you :)

sdryh
25th Jan 2011, 10:56
Hi

I eventually got my cable replacement, no thanks to the snow in the UK over December. Now they actually work without the ANR interrupting my RT calls and the constant clashing of noise from the prop frequency.

I was always a little worried when I upgraded from the Bose X to the A20. The initial ANR wasnt worth the price, but now the cable has been replaced and all the problems sorted the investment seems to have paid of. Just hope the reliability of the A20's will be better than the X's?

If you are thinking of buying one, the answer is yes, go ahead they are fantastic, just watch the build quality.

sdryh

meloni
25th Jan 2011, 21:47
got the A20 today.... not tested in flight yed but i'm impressed by the overall quality! a very nice piece of equipment!

The ANR feels better than any other active headset I had in the past : Bose Aviation II, Aviation X, and my loved ANR-fitted DC ( the one I liked more)
Kinda love the new bigger earcup of the A20 ( my head is comparable to a zepplin hangar LOL )

Tested the blutooth capability during a phone call and WOW!! amazing they have their own side tone! even if not connected to the aircraft :ok:

I have also tested the audio IN using my I phone and I have to say the quality is better than many many "studio" headphones!:D:D:D:D

Well.... I'm on the night time shift, let's see if I can test them in the air tonight :)

Marc123
6th Feb 2011, 08:05
Hi

If I buy a standard BOSE A20 HELICOPTER headset from bose website...is that classed as HIGH or lOW impedance?

I want to use this headset on a B412, anyone using this and any problems with the impedance?

I flew a B206 and S300 in states with a BOSE X, helicopter option (straight from bose website, didnt change mic or anything) and it worked in both of those aircraft.

Appreciate the help..

IntheTin
6th Feb 2011, 13:55
You will need the low impedance box to convert from the normal high Impedance to low.
I fly both and they won't work in our 412's without the box.
Not sure if Bose have a low impedance mic for the A20's like they do for the X. :ok:

meloni
6th Feb 2011, 15:59
Hi,

Bose has the LOW impedance option for the A20, but the entire mic-chord assy is different. also the low impedance version comes without blutooth.

we had no mission last week when I was at work, so I had no chance to use the A20 on the agusta grand in flight, but yesterday I did a quick flight with a 22 to review the last things before my JAA FI checkride , and I was impressed by the quality of the A20.... very quiet!

PENNINE BOY
6th Feb 2011, 21:55
Great headset,

But very poor after sales support in the Uk, I had 1 of the ear pieces break in december last year.

Only one repair centre in Uk and you cant source the parts as Bose will not supply, I am still awaiting the repair due to awaiting parts! Not what I expected after shelling out a fortune for them.

Compared with David Clark who cant seem to do enough for customers! I for one will not be purchasing anymore Bose products for commercial work purposes! :ugh:

Never in Balance
6th Feb 2011, 23:26
Interesting you should say that PENNINE BOY, I had a slight problem with my Bose X and sent them away. They were returned 5 working days later with almost every part replaced as new. This is after over 4 and a half years of abuse that i had given them. I couldn't fault the customer service one bit :D. I'll be upgrading to the A20's as soon as i can save the funds.

roger28
24th Mar 2011, 18:32
Hi Guys,

Maybe bit of topic :rolleyes:

Anyone know if you connect music to your A20, can others hear the music as-well or is it a 1 on 1 thing?

Thanks a bunch,

Roger

ILblog
24th Mar 2011, 18:58
Hi Guys,

Maybe bit of topic

Anyone know if you connect music to your A20, can others hear the music as-well or is it a 1 on 1 thing?

Thanks a bunch,

Roger

Only you can hear the music.

R44-pilot
31st Mar 2011, 20:36
Hi guys,

Do any of you know if there is a two to one plug available for the A20?

I have been given a set of A20's to try out but it's got the fixed wing twin plugs on it, had a little go with an A20 in an R66 the other day and they were outstanding... So really want to try this in some types I fly regularly.

Any help is most appreciated.

EN48
31st Mar 2011, 21:13
A bit late but: Just exhanged the cords on two A20's per the SB that came out a few months ago. About 5 days turn around. no cost, no hassle; even new batteries included. :ok: Would be better not to have to do this at all, but stuff happens.

MikeNYC
31st Mar 2011, 21:26
R44-pilot-

Standard GA to Heli adapters should work with the A20. I've got a Lightspeed Zulu with two plugs that I use an adapter with to plug into U/174 heli single plug. A quick Google for "GA to heli" should turn up quite a bit. Doesn't need to be Bose-specific.

IntheTin
1st Apr 2011, 04:16
I also exchanged my cable. Great service. They even sent my cable without me having to send my bad one to them first. :D

Bose sell the FW to Helicopter cables on their website. :ok:

R44-pilot
1st Apr 2011, 19:57
Thanks Mike,

Got an adaptor coming tomorrow if the post is working well...

Appreciate the reply.

kingRB
13th Apr 2011, 07:30
G'day all,

just thought i'd run a problem past any other A20 owners I seem to have encountered.

Bought the A20 last week, tried it out for the first time last weekend, and was blown away at how good the headset was. It worked perfectly and exactly to spec.

Anyway today, flying a different aircraft (not that I think that should matter), I found when I activated the ENR function on the controller, it would activate, ENR would kick in, the engine sound would disappear as it usually does, and then the ENR would cut out, and turn off uncommanded.

Each time I tried to turn the ENR back on, it would do the same thing. Soon as it kicked in, it would shut off.

I eventually gave up on getting the ENR to work as I had to depart.

I tried turning it on again once in cruise, and this time it turned on and worked exactly as it should for the rest of the trip home. Worked flawlessly for the next hour or so, all the way to shut down.

I'm using brand new batteries that came with the headset from Bose, with probably all of 3 to 4 hours of use. The controller indicator light showed no low battery warning at all once it started working again.

I cant replicate the problem turning the headset on at home. ENR just turns on and remains on as it should until you turn it off.

Nothing in the troubleshooting guide in the included instructions about this either.

Written to Bose, waiting to see what their explanation is.

Anyone else had anything similar?

STBYRUD
22nd Apr 2011, 14:49
Sorry to dig this up again, but I have to make a pretty fast decision on this:

I used to have a Tbone headset for use on the 737, had a cable malfunction, sent it back to Denmark, while it was there they declared bancruptcy and my headset is gone. Fantastic. So I'm again without headset.

So, my outfit has a deal with Sennheiser, I could get a HMEC 26 for slightly more than 500 €, but colleagues already complain about it being uncomfortable (too tight to sit comfortably on top of the ear). Now the Bose seems to top comfort ratings, I am looking for good ANR as well of course - people in my company use anything from a massive DC to no headset at all, but I claim that I still have hearing to preserve. Yeah, the Bose is basically double the price, but I suppose I could even return it after using it for a month (which I probably couldn't if I ordered the Sennheiser through the company)... Any ideas?

Cheers!

Captain Whistlingoat
22nd May 2011, 16:14
I use the A20 and it's great. Very comfortable and no fatigue. My friend is on the A320 and has also bought one. He's also very impressed.:ok:

Captain Whistlingoat
22nd May 2011, 16:18
@EN48

I wonder if you can tell me how you got the iPhone to stream music over Bluetooth - I always thought the A20 only did calls over Bluetooth.

EN48
22nd May 2011, 16:59
I wonder if you can tell me how you got the iPhone to stream music over Bluetooth

Sure. I use a PS Engineering PMA 8000BT audio panel with integrated BlueTooth capability. I chose this over BT in the A20 as it is considerably more capable. See: PS Engineering :audio select panels (http://www.ps-engineering.com/pma8000bt.shtml)
This audio panel is superb in every respect, and not all that expensive to retrofit especially if you already have a Garmin 340 or other PSE 8000 series audio panel.

Sonic69
13th Aug 2011, 08:22
Did your friend in the A320 use a GA to Airbus XLR adapter?
I fly the A320 too and am considering either getting the Bose A20 or Lightspeed Zulu.2 with LEMO plug and using a LEMO to XLR adapter from Marv Golden. That makes it neater (1 cable instead of 2).

Anybody out there tried this yet?

JaredYng
21st Aug 2011, 04:37
Hello everyone, I have a question about the Bose A20.

I understand that the bluetooth version has a high impedance mic and the non-bluetooth has a low impedance mic. Therefore I'm under the impression that the non-bluetooth version would work in China. Does anyone know this for sure? Are the plugs different in China?

Epiphany
21st Aug 2011, 05:16
I think the plugs are the same but the sockets go sideways.

ec155mech
21st Aug 2011, 06:21
HA HA thats funny :)

depends on the aircraft, I fly in the UK but on H300 which has the US U174 plug ( aka Nato ) which has the high imp. some of the other aircraft that I work on, has the same plug but is low Imp. so its not country specific but aircraft specific. what are you flying in china ?

JaredYng
21st Aug 2011, 19:32
It's not me flying them but a friend so I'm looking into it for him.

AS332 is what he'll be flying. With potential for the EC155.

JaredYng
25th Aug 2011, 05:15
Has anyone specifically used the A20 non-bluetooth in these aircraft in China?

Outwest
25th Aug 2011, 06:24
As pointed out, it is irrelevant where the a/c are located in the world. You need to determine what the specific a/c uses, high/low impedance, 6 pin/u174 plugs.

If it is a low impedance system then order the non-blue tooth headset, with either a 6pin or U174 plug.

ec155mech
25th Aug 2011, 06:33
If my memory serves me right. the EC155 is a low Imp system but will check it tomorrow on the headsets we have, the plug however is a standard U174 Helicopter plug. I dont know about the 332 ??

Outwest
25th Aug 2011, 07:10
You can not say just because you have a 155 that is low impedance, that all 155s' are such. It depends on vendors/customers requirements/requests.

The only way to be sure you get the right impedance is to check the specific a/c you intend to use the headset in.

ec155mech
25th Aug 2011, 07:37
duly noted Outwest, I have however been intimate with quite a few EC155's and AS365's all over the world and I have yet to find one with a High Imp system in them.

but if you can show me otherwise I will be happy to be proven wrong, you live you learn you know :)

Outwest
25th Aug 2011, 08:58
We have 2 365Ns' on this base, both are high impedance....

JaredYng
25th Aug 2011, 13:38
Thank you very much.

ec155mech
25th Aug 2011, 16:14
well I will be darned.. thanks for sharing this outwest, much appreciated :)

which N's are they ?

Outwest
25th Aug 2011, 16:29
N3's

I should mention that this company was a low impedance company for many, many years. Whenever a new type came online regardless of what it came with from the factory, it was converted to low. This changed when the S76C+ was introduced. All 76 A, A+, A++'s low, C+, C++ high.

The company finally started to switch over to high impedance on most types (139 for example). However, this is not a hard and fast rule, as I'm told by a friend who is on a brand new 225 that it is low impedance. This caused a bit of a problem both logistically and financially as pilots who might fly 2 types needed to carry both mics for a Bose, or use a DC that had a conversion switch.
:ugh:

ec155mech
25th Aug 2011, 17:03
139's have their own weird plug dont they ??

a converter you say. where might one get his little shady hands on one of them ?

Outwest
25th Aug 2011, 18:15
139's have their own weird plug dont they ??

Yes, so we have drop cords installed with U174 plugs on the end.

a converter you say. where might one get his little shady hands on one of them ?

Sorry, should have been more specific. There are David Clark headsets available that have a switch built in that allows you to select either high or low impedance.

Pandalet
26th Aug 2011, 08:01

There are converters around for both directions. A high impedance setup requires the panel to provide power to the mic, so the converter for using a low impedance mic (which doesn't need powering) in a high impedance aircraft will power itself from the panel, and generally works ok. Using a high impedance mic in a low impedance aircraft requires an extra source of power (since the panel isn't expecting to supply any), so these converters usually include a battery (generally a 9V PP9).

The better option seems to be a low impedance mic with a low->high converter, but different aircraft react differently. Converters can cause issues with VOX, for example (e.g. line held constantly open, etc).

There are plenty of suppliers around the 'net who stock this sort of thing; plug 'aircraft impedance converter' into your favourite search engine.

fokkerpilot
5th Nov 2011, 22:41
Is there any way to find out if your aircraft is high or low impendence?

I tried a normal A20 for airplane with a plug converter, and the mic did not work. Do I require high or low impendence?

Thanks

t_total
17th May 2012, 15:10
Hello

Does anybody know if the Bose A20 needs a high impedance lead for:-

- An S76 C++
- An EC225 (I think it uses low on the 225 but am not sure)

If I fly different types which use both high and low impedance respectively, will I be able to get both a high and low impedance lead for one headset, or will it mean having to buy two headsets?

We operate a few types and just want to make sure before I get a headset.

Thanks in advance

FlyingHead
17th May 2012, 17:43
Hi
S76 C++: High Impedance
EC225: Low Impedance.
Cheers
FH

Epiphany
17th May 2012, 19:57
There is no need to buy another headset. It is only the microphone that has the impedence issue. Buy two (one high and one low) and then simply plug in the one you need at the time. Much cheaper ;)

t_total
17th May 2012, 21:00
Thank you FH and Epiphany. Much appreciated

24seven
5th Jul 2012, 16:00
Does anyone know where online you can get the best deal for a Bose A20 Headset?

Either in the USA or UK preferably and from a reputable supplier.

Thanks

SFIM
5th Jul 2012, 21:37
Anyone know if

A20® aviation headset with U174 helicopter plug and Bluetooth®

Will work in R44 and AW139 ? The 139 has the drop down leads with the NATO socket on the end of the cable.

I am guessing they are both high impedance, is this right ?

Cheers

Elias.K
8th Jul 2012, 06:19
I have a set of the A20. I am about to get new corrective lenses and frames. The frames I am looking at though have a relatively thick tremple. the Bose site stipulates that thick temples may interfere with the noise cancelling properties of the headset.

Has anyone had any experience with wearing thick templed glasses with the A20?

HillerBee
8th Jul 2012, 08:41
Yes, it does affect the ANR a lot.

EternalRookie
9th Jul 2012, 02:28
@Elias.K Thick temples affect noise reduction a lot. I went through a lot of sunglasses to find ones which affected it the least.

@SFIM A20 work in R44/22 directly for me, no idea about AW139 or Hi-Z Lo-Z

IntheTin
9th Jul 2012, 07:25
They work great in the 139. High Impedance...

Elias.K
10th Jul 2012, 05:08
@EternalRookie .. How did you test it with so many sunnies? did you take the headset to the store?

Just when i thought I found the glasses i like, I'm going to have to find something else. :(

EternalRookie
10th Jul 2012, 15:47
I bought el-cheapos from various 7-11's and ebay till I found a style that did the job and fit my face. That way I was able to give them a decent try out. Then I ordered a decent pair that matched the cheapies.
I ended up settling on these Quantum Promo Store (http://gargoyles-store.mwrc.net/en/product.php?product_id=26152)
The temple is thin enough not to break the seal against my head. Springy hinges seem to help too. Lucked out and got them for half price off ebay with the hard case.

Reely340
15th Oct 2012, 08:04
Scroll past the rave "review" at the top of
Bose A20 review. Another leap in ANR. | The Joy of Aviation (http://www.thejoyofaviation.com/bose-a20_bose-x_compairson-review)
to the comments section: "Erin" and "Bob" found their A20s to squeal,
and "Fred" shows how to reproduce that:

You do not even need to be in the cockpit to reproduce the problem. You just need to put the ANR on (yes this is an ANR issue). Then you put the headset on your head and you press the ear cups towards your head (after a while in flight the seals are always a little bit compressed). Then you remove the ear cups at different speeds. Try this a few times and you will hear the squeak/squeal sound for sure! In flight this happens naturally when the headset is moving a bit when you touch at the mike or move your head rapidly for instance. Conclusion: All Bose A20 have a serious ANR design problem!

I did appr. 10h helicopter training using A20s - hence not qualified to judge - but found that only seriously catching the cord somewhere makes the ANR go crazy, read fail.

Anyone else got that "A20 squeal" and grinding his/her teeth for having to live with that? :confused:

Can someone please repeat "Fred's test" with a Zulu2, preferrably side be side with some A20s? :E

I'm a little bit worried, as I was on the brink of shelling out a grand for an A20.. :suspect:

toptobottom
15th Oct 2012, 08:54
Never had a problem myself. I fly Robinson, Eurocopter and Bell - just back from a flight today and tried the 'Fred test' but couldn't reproduce the 'A20 squeal' either.. :confused:

Urshtnme
15th Oct 2012, 13:05
I've had the squeal the last two times I've flown. The only difference was I changed batteries. I've gone from the Duracell to Energiser Lithium.

Might have to play around with that.

toptobottom
15th Oct 2012, 14:23
OK - my A20s have duracell back-up batteries, but are powered by the aircraft (if that should make any difference!)

TTB

Redland
15th Oct 2012, 15:10
Not sure if it helps but some lithium batteries last longer but have a slightly lower voltage, this may be the cause of ANR problems.

I have used my A20s for about 30 hours and they are great, but you do have to make sure the seal is good around your ears.

EN48
15th Oct 2012, 17:51
Have had no such problem with Bose of any model including A20, but a similar problem with Zulu. The ANR as I understand it does somewhat depend a suitable seal between the earcup and head to operate properly.

IntheTin
16th Oct 2012, 07:00
Had mine for two years now and no issue at all other than the cable problem which Bose replaced! Love them!! :ok:

Reely340
21st Oct 2012, 13:56
Thx guys for all the replies, sounds reassuring to me.
I'll try that test wednesday at my next lessen, provided I get the Bose to enjoy ;)

WLM
22nd Oct 2012, 05:31
Been using the A20 with bluetooth option, all I can say it is an amazing quiet headset, light, really a joy to wear after years of wearing helmets and David Clarks...

And being to receive/make a phone call via Bluetooth is a super tool

Fly safe

RVF750
29th Dec 2012, 21:21
Hi,

I tried a set out the other week and have just ordered a set of A20s tonight. Can't wait.

As to where- Sporty's do a good deal, and the exchange rate is pretty good for us Brits at the moment.

The A20 is really two parts. The ANR and speaker top part, and the cord/controller/mic unit. It's a great idea, because you can but the part to go with your aircraft and choose Bluetooth or not for most applications and not have to pay a huge amount to do this.

Very clever design.

I currently use Sennheisers, and to be honest, as our fleet runs low on HMEC25-HA and the new 26 units appear, it's has led me to save u pfor my own set. I sold my HMEC25 earlier this year as it was pointless when all I needed to carry to work was a pair of batteries and a mic sock, but the 26 is absolutely crap! Uncomfortable, very cheap mic unit and just horrid to use.

What is it with manufacturers now?

My old DC 10-40 had the M4 mic that was superb, despite the weight and head clamping of the design, but the later 13-4 used the M7, a newer mic that was far worse for sound quality. Sennheiser, old mic good- new mic bad., Same deal.

Anyway, needed doing, I am fed up of going deaf flying turboprops....

Dave Sharpe
23rd Jun 2014, 11:01
slightly off track--does anybody know where I might/ could get the replacement old style gell earpads for the aviation headset series 2---I have tried Headset Services (UK) with no sucess--

md 600 driver
23rd Jun 2014, 19:36
Dave
Most people try headset services without success
maybe one year Bose will learn that and get a better service agent And provide customer service not disservice ,maybe they may take a look at what DC provide in the states( not uk they use headset service too )

Dick Smith
25th Jun 2014, 10:56
As stated on the first page of posts there is a major design fault and I would suggest not to buy until they fix it.

That is the ship powered version has to be manually switched on every flight.

After a while people forget to do this so they fly around with no active noise reduction.

How such a famous firm could make such a serious error is mind boggling.

Imagine if you are flying Bill Gates or the Queen around. You have to tell them each time how to turn on the headset.

Did a demo in the latest Bell twin and the pilot forgot to tell everyone how to turn on the headsets. Everyone commented on landing how noisy it was. Only then did the pilot admit that he forgot to tell all the passengers that they had to turn on the headset themselves.

EN48
25th Jun 2014, 12:12
That is the ship powered version has to be manually switched on every flight.

So ... do you remember to start the engine before flight? :E

md 600 driver
25th Jun 2014, 19:36
I thought I was the only one with the switch off fault on the A20 I have spoken to both headset services and Bose they both sounded as if I was the only one with the fault ,headset services i can understand, but I would have thought I could trust Bose. Obviously i was wrong I Belive DC have made a new bc headset I may try that in future purchases

Dick Smith
26th Jun 2014, 11:37
En48. A pilot does not need a passenger to operate a switch to start the helicopter.

With the Bose headset every passenger has to be instructed to press the power switch for every flight.

It's pathetic design. Hundreds have complained and no action. I would suggest another brand of headset until Bose make a proper professional product.

chucksweet
26th Jun 2014, 12:12
I have talked to various BOSE folks about this problem and they keep hinting they have a fix coming later this year.

EN48
26th Jun 2014, 13:18
With the Bose headset every passenger has to be instructed to press the power switch for every flight.

Every pax also has to secure their seat belt. Should this also be automatic? I would agree that automatic power on would provide a measure of convenience, but in the overall scheme of things, this is a very minor concern with this excellent product. Should not discourage anyone from buying the A20. In my experience, the A20 is in a different league when it comes to noise cancelling effectiveness and audio quality. None of the other headsets I have used come close.

chucksweet
26th Jun 2014, 13:39
I agree, the Bose A20s are a great product. I have tried literally every other ANR headset and none of them are as comfortable or have as much noise reduction as the A20s. The lack of the auto power on is just a pain or annoying.

Here is the minor problem with your seatbelt analogy from my point of view. In my 7 seat helicopter, I help everyone with their seat belts BEFORE I start the engine. If I could turn on their headphones at the same time I would, but you can't. They can't be switched on until I am buckled in and I apply the avionics power. At that point you have to turn around and teach everyone to find the control panel and tell them which button to turn on. It is not always easy to get them to do this. I fly hundreds and hundreds of new passengers every year in a charter operation and in Young Eagles. I can tell you it is a pain, that I would love to lose. That being said, the A20s are so good otherwise, that I will use them in spite of the auto switching on problem.

tomotomp
26th Jun 2014, 16:51
the A20 I use can be turned on before main power is applied

500e
26th Jun 2014, 20:57
Battery not ship powered I presume ?

RVDT
27th Jun 2014, 07:54
Yawn,

For the brave amongst you try here (http://www.matronics.com/BoseA20AutoOnModification/).

md 600 driver
27th Jun 2014, 10:30
mine wont switch off automatically

EN48
28th Jun 2014, 17:11
"mine wont switch off automatically "

"auto off" switch in correct position?

Redland
28th Jun 2014, 18:14
I have the same problem they won't switch off automatically and yes the switch is in the correct position, it is just a bit of a pain.

The Iceman
22nd Jul 2014, 13:52
I have talked to various BOSE folks about this problem and they keep hinting they have a fix coming later this year.

I have been considering this headset for a while, but it falls slightly short.

If you are in contact, there are three things that I would really like.

Bluetooth Audio streaming (asked for a lot)
Folding Wing Screws to replace the tiny screws to move the mic from left to right. I fly a lot from all three seats (left/right/obs) and it would be great to be able to move the mike assembly more easily.
A simple headphone connector to replace the entire mike assembly to use when commuting.

Urshtnme
22nd Jul 2014, 15:02
I've sent mine back recently, they fixed the auto off issue. Awesome after sales service, very impressed!

prehar
23rd Jul 2014, 12:43
I sent mine too for the repairs on some noise in the right earphone ...they did an amazing job with new ear pads , clips and shipped it back for Free .....

Very impressed with their after sales service ....

dm2000
15th Jan 2015, 19:32
I'm heading to New York from the UK next week (22nd January) and wondered if anyone would know if the New York Bose stores hold stock of the Bose A20 headset. In particular the dual plug non Bluetooth version. I have tried emailing Bose to ask but have heard nothing back.

I know asking this is a long shot but thought I'd ask in case anyone lives locally or has been over recently.

Cheers

MikeNYC
16th Jan 2015, 01:19
Yes, the New York City stores (SoHo and Columbus Circle) both stock the A20. Not sure which model(s) though. Best to call ahead! I've demo'ed the A20 at the SoHo store, but didn't end up purchasing, so I'm not sure what options they have there.

Hot and Hi
20th Jul 2015, 18:35
I got mine just a month ago. The Bluetooth pairing with phone worked without a problem.

Then, out of the blue (excuse the pun) the Bluetooth stopped working. The blue LED on the headset controller would not come on, regardless how long or short I pressed the Bluetooth button. :confused:

The local reseller opened the battery pack, took out one battery and flicked the two micro switches in the battery compartment (for "AutoOff", and for "Mono/Stereo") back and forth. Then he put back the battery and - voila - everything was working again!

While this is not documented anywhere in the 'trouble shooting' section of the A20 manual, this procedure seem to work like a reboot for dreaded Microsoft computers. It may well be the taking out of the batteries in itself that did a 'soft reset' - not sure what toggling of switches can help with no power source present. But then again, I don't really understand how these things work.

Max Contingency
21st Jul 2015, 07:40
happily fly whilst listening to tunes. Keeps me focused, is less fatiguing on long duties and makes time pass quicker.

Hello Jober Jober and welcome to PPrune. I guess you didn't realise your first post was on the rotary forum?

We prefer to keep focused on long duties by staring at the fuel guage, the weather radar, the T's and P's and praying to any god that we think might be capable of keeping the Jesus nut nice and tight. lol

;)

worldoffe
25th Aug 2015, 18:58
Hey guys!

Can any of you A20 users confirm, that its not possible to regulate the volume of an AUX audio source with the A20 Volume Control (or is it ONLY to regulate intercom volume)?

Thanks!

MichiScholz
25th Aug 2015, 21:31
you can ask the customer support, they are quick and you will get accurate answers.

yamazaki
13th Oct 2015, 08:27
Where can I find them in Dubai?or should I buy them overseas?

screw fix diret
17th Oct 2015, 21:29
1. Can't listen to music over Bluetooth, only through aux cable.

2. Music volume is controlled by your music playing device, not by the A20 itself.

3. IMHO the Bluetooth isn't worth the extra money. It can be quite useful to talk on your mobile (to Ops/despatcher/duty manager) via your headset which keeps you in the loop about what's going on in the aircraft, but its only a very, very minor benefit on an occasional basis.

Sonic69
18th Oct 2015, 03:38
Actually with new cable after July2015 you can listen to music over Bluetooth

Camp Freddie
13th Jan 2016, 21:07
just got the new A20 and can now bluetooth the music and control volume from the A20, its awesome :D
the bluetooth now is worth it, I agree it wasn't really before, plus they are a bit cheaper than they were before.

KayPam
8th Mar 2016, 23:28
Hello
I tested about one week ago the Bose A20 during a flight : i was thrilled by the ANR and the music capability. I was literally dancing in my aircraft, although that was also due to the heavy turbulences of that day :p

I still have one question though : when I put on my headset in a calm environment, with the ANR on, i can hear a small sizzling sound. It's like a very light white noise, like this video but very light
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMThO1Nq-f0

Is it normal for any ANR headset to produce that kind of small noise when anr is active ?

What do you think about using your ANR headset to listen to music, at home ? Audio quality with a 1/4" jack to 1/8" jack adapter is terrible..

Thank you

tucumseh
9th Mar 2016, 14:52
KayPam

Is your ANR specific to your aircraft type? It is around 15 years since generic broadband ANR systems were rendered obsolescent by programmable ones.

Remember, an ANR headset or helmet is no longer just an Aircrew Equipment Assembly, it now also forms an integral part of the Intercom/Comms System and must be designed to match it. In practice most will "work" in the sense you will notice a reduction in background noise, but it will be a compromise. This may manifest itself in odd noises. Also, ANR is designed to reduce damaging noise, not necessarily annoying noise.

Hot and Hi
10th Mar 2016, 17:51
Wow, it is amazing to see that there are people who live in a parallel universe that seem to have no similarity with the world I live in.

Is your ANR specific to your aircraft type? It is around 15 years since generic broadband ANR systems were rendered obsolescent by programmable ones. I have no doubt that your world, tecumseh, appears as real to you as mine to me.

But, KayPam, rest assured, the non-programmable "generic broadband" 1,000 $ Bose A20 is the best ANR headset that any of the hundreds of private and commercial pilots I know (including myself) have ever had the privilege to own. It's works brilliantly, and certainly perfectly does the job of protecting your ears in even very noisy (e.g., helicopter) cockpits.

I am afraid, yours is broken though. Mine has no considerable white noise when switched on, even in a totally silent ambience. Any noise, be it just the avionics fans or gyros, will - while substantially muted by the ANR - mask any very low noise the active headset may generate.

All this seems to become completely irrelevant once the engines are running. Here it is all about how much of the annoying engine roar is filtered out, regardless of head position, or spectacles worn, how well you can still discern changes in relevant noise (e.g., warning horns, changes in engine note), and how clearly you hear the voices of other pax and ATC. In all this the Bose is "the boss".

tucumseh
11th Mar 2016, 05:42
Hot and Hi

Not sure where that came from. I attended the final trials in 2000 for the upgraded, progammable system that rendered the analog system obsolescent. As the programme manager in MoD (UK), for both analog and digital systems, I signed off on them, thus initiating the production phase. MoD was, by definition, the lead, as it owns the Intellectual Property Rights to the latter. The aim of that upgrade was to meet the new legal limit of 75dB(A). Analog had reached its practical limit of about 83dB(A), against the old legal requirement of 85dB(A).

There are many ways of expressing noise exposure and effects. Reams of decibel notation doesn't work. To acquire the funding for the upgrade, I simply pointed out that (in the lead aircraft at the time) aircrew were limited to 59 flying hours per year, before damage set in. The threat of litigation is powerful. The operational requirement was 600. It so happened that, if we achieved 75dB(A), this permitted 600+ hours. That was a happy coincidence.

I cannot say what aircrew here fly in or what their noise dose is. But what is simple fact is that, to design a 75dB(A) system you need to measure the noise in each aircraft type and design the ANR to attack the damaging frequencies without masking audio cues. Separately, a pilot may assess his dose/usage and decide if he needs a system. For example (again, MoD UK), a Sea King ANR happens to work perfectly well in a Harrier, despite the noise sources being different (epicyclic gears vs engine). But it is almost entirely useless, in fact quite dangerous, in a Lynx, because the pilot can no longer hear certain critical audio cues. My point was, very few "commercial" ANRs are truly transferable between types. They must be a compromise. In analog days that meant multi-type pilots had a range of helmets. With digital systems, you plug into a work station and blow an EPROM, depending on type to be flown that day. I do of course concede technology may have moved on since then, but passive attenuation hasn't.

Hot and Hi
12th Mar 2016, 18:12
OK, I see now. The one is called "Military"; the other one "General Aviation". Very interesting account though, by all means.

The Bose, like its competitors from Sennheiser or Lightspeed, is targeted at the GA market. And yes, ANR technology has vastly improved since I bought my first ANR headset around the year 2000. There is simply no comparison.

kalhimeo
15th Jan 2018, 08:18
Dear A20 owners,

Does, by any chance, any of you own a Bose QC35 headseat (general multimedia headset) on the top of your A20 ?

I have read that the QC35 has a "music sharing" feature which allows 2 headsets to share the same bluetooth stream (two people can listen to the same thing), of course there is no notes about any A20 compatibility, but I just wondered if anyone could confirm that it does not work ?

As a little bonus, how would you compare the audio and ANR quality between the 2 headsets ?

Thank you very much !

muermel
15th Jan 2018, 17:23
Does anybody know where I can get an adapter like the one in the link? Cheaper would be great too :ok:

Helicopter-Stecker U174 zu Lemo-Adapter - Avionik Zentrale - cockpit favourites (http://www.avionik-zentrale.de/Helicopter-Stecker-U174-zu-Lemo-Adapter)

Greetings

MikeNYC
16th Jan 2018, 01:35
Cheap, at Sportys: Helicopter Plug (U174) to Lemo Plug Adapter - from Sporty's Pilot Shop (http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/helicopter-plug-u174-to-lemo-plug-adapter.html)