PDA

View Full Version : medical required for sim instructors

palmdeira
31st Jul 2010, 17:02
hi

can anyone shed any light on a new CAR amendment that requires sim instructors to hold a valid medical. this is causing me some problems for future work but i can't find the reference.
thanks in advance
pd:confused:

Nil defects
31st Jul 2010, 17:20
I could be talking ****e here, but I think it is not required for Training, only for checking.

Sorry don't know the reference. If have time tomorrow will have a look.

Skynews
31st Jul 2010, 21:41
Palmdeira
Please let us know what you find out, and good luck. I think having the option of using pilots who have lost the ability to use their license for medical reasons to train in the sim is fantastic.

Not only does it provide that individual with an income, generally, they are older and experienced guys who have plenty to offer the rest of us, unlike the modern growing tradition of young inexperienced not much to offer training pilots.

peuce
31st Jul 2010, 23:29
Excuse my ignorance, but where's the safety issue if a sim Instructor has a heart attack on the job?

Except for himself, of course!

P.S. My wife suggests they get a simulated medical:ok:

PA39
31st Jul 2010, 23:34
Jesus, the next thing will be RBT for sim jockeys!!

Seabreeze
1st Aug 2010, 02:42
Len Sales is alive and well and still teaching ATPL at UNSW Aviation at BK!

I think he earned his first crust in aviation in the RAF in 1942, which means he has been working in the industry for 68 years!!!!!

Now that is some career. Great bloke too.

mattyj
1st Aug 2010, 03:09
..how abso..@#$%ing..lutely ridiculous :ugh:

palmdeira
1st Aug 2010, 16:27
it's the checking part that concerns me most - nil defects may have a point.
still can't find a ref though!!
:ugh:

Ted D Bear
2nd Aug 2010, 02:57
Jesus, the next thing will be RBT for sim jockeys!!

My ILSes on MSFS2004 seem a lot better when I'm pi$$ed - I think it's coz I'm too slow to chase the needles :ok:

Skynews
2nd Aug 2010, 07:07
Guys like Len Sales have forgotten more that the modern training Capt will ever know,. Its good to hear he's still kicking and working, haven't seen him for over 25 yes.

I can understand why a sim check Captain should have a medical. Current procedures are practiced and "honed" on the line. It would be difficult in the long term to stay up to date without line flying, as for training, different story completely.

LeadSled
2nd Aug 2010, 11:04
Folks,

What an interesting contrast to the FAA.

Not only is there no FAA medical standard for a simulator instructor, but quite a range of in-flight advanced instruction can be legally given, without a medical certificate.

Essentially, it must be that the pilot under instruction is command qualified on the aircraft, such that the incapacitation of the instructor does not prevent the aircraft returning to earth in an orderly fashion.

The most common use I know of is aerobatic and advanced instrument instruction.

Tootle pip!!

PS: Where is the CAR amendment, I have not found same.??

Worked with Len Sales for years, both when he was a navigator, later a pilot. Len started life as a plumber, kept up a license for years, so he could legally fix your taps, too!!

Capt Fathom
2nd Aug 2010, 12:54
can anyone shed any light on a new CAR amendment that requires sim instructors to hold a valid medical

No one has yet to shed any light on rumoured CAR amendment!

AerocatS2A
2nd Aug 2010, 14:05
I can understand why a sim check Captain should have a medical. Current procedures are practiced and "honed" on the line. It would be difficult in the long term to stay up to date without line flying, as for training, different story completely.
Just put them in the jump seat a certain number of times a year so they can keep up to speed with what really happens in an aeroplane.