PDA

View Full Version : Australian CASA CPL conversion

rit
31st Jul 2010, 03:47
I am going to convert my ICAO CPL to CASA. So I have to sit an Air law and flight rules exam. I 've read the CASA web and ASL web for the exam. here s the list ( in the web) of document i need :eek:
CAR (1988)
CAO Parts 20 to 95.2
AIP textbook containing Part 1-GENERAL(GEN), Part 2 - ENROUTE(ENR), Part 3 - AERODROME(AD), INDEX + AIP SUPS
ERSA Complete, includes CASA produced Runway Distances Supplement
Hobart / Launceston VTC
Brisbane - Maroochydore / Gold Coast VTC
ERC Low 1/2
ERC Low 3/4
Planning Chart (AUS PCA)
Either AIP or Jeppesen documents may be used, but NOT both

Do I really need to have all of the above list with me during exam??:{ I think it s too many docs for me during 2 hr exam. Which are the useful docs that I should have? and any guide for the exam?
With the CAO there s also a list here (http://www.airservices.gov.au/store/html.asp?/bookweb/catalog.cgi?stype=c&stext=CO) which has similar items so if i need to buy one which one is the one that is most suitable?

Miles
31st Jul 2010, 04:42
That list seems correct. Most of which you will need (and must keep current) if you wish to work here. The exam is computer based at an approved testing location and is "open book" for air law. This means that you can and should refer to the documents listed for your answers. You may annotate your documents to relevant sections to expedite the finding of answers but there are rules concerning this. Your documents should be checked prior to taking the exam by the testing officer and you will be refused if all is not correct. Nice idea is to get yourself to a school, which will for a small fee; show you how best to do this. It makes the world of difference as time is very limited in this exam. Best of luck, just be grateful that you are not having to do flight performance and planning :E

rit
1st Aug 2010, 10:20
OK I understood that I need all ref for the exam. So now I am thinking about the next step.How to consider/select the flying school? I have some information from schools with aircraft hiring rate. Each school has different rate. Does "dual" means I can go with my friend who have PPL? Some school include IFR charge while others not. what conditions should i looking for if I have only the hiring rates?

redsnail
1st Aug 2010, 12:23
Dual means you are paying for an instructor to sit next to you.
Solo means you are paying for an instructor to worry about you when you're flying.
Rental is what it costs to hire the aeroplane.

WRT to a school? Bigger is not necessarily better.
If you can, find a school that has done conversions before.

Make sure you get a copy of the syllabus and make sure all items are checked off as completed.
I can't see if you have an IR already, but you may be able to combine some of the flying there.
Note, it's another exam.