PDA

View Full Version : JAR FSTD (A) translation

Luckystar77
30th Jul 2010, 16:54
Hi,

I am having trouble in understanding couple phrases from new JAR-FSTD (A) publication. Is anybody able to help me with following words concerning simulator qualification?

1. "Scene Quality
- demonstration of occulting through each channel of the system in an operational scene"

Could you please let me know what does this "occulting" mean in the connection with FFS scene quality?

2. "FSTD operators are required to monitor compliance with the procedures they have designed to ensure specified performance and functions. In doing so they should as a minimum, and where appropriate, monitor:
-Defect deferral"

Another phrase which is difficult for me to correctly understand.

I would appreciate any translation in other words or more specific description of what author could possibly mean by those expressions.

Thanks!

A-FLOOR
30th Jul 2010, 16:58
The occulting requirement refers to the ability of the visual to display a minimum of 10 objects such as buildings or signs placed behind each other in a scene in the correct order, without one behind bleeding through one in front. Primarily an issue for older visuals, modern ones like CAE Tropos use Z-buffering. The older systems like Vital and Maxvue use occulting planes, which have to be added manually into every scene by the modeller.

Deferral or rather "to defer" is a fancy word for procrastination :ok:

GarageYears
30th Jul 2010, 17:18
I defer (sic) to A-Floor with respect to the explanation of scene occultation but that written seems perfectly reasonable and clear.

As to the second phrase, "defect deferral" is basically an attempt to use some excuse to delay fixing something that is known to be broken. In other words the operator of an FSTD should not simply hold-off from fixing something simply because it is inconvenient or tricky to take care of it.

- GY

Luckystar77
30th Jul 2010, 22:12
That was such a quick help!! Thank you guys! :D