PDA

View Full Version : Favourite/least favourite exercises to teach

CFW's
30th Jul 2010, 11:27
Hello,

I teach at a UK based school, and I wondered if, like me, anyone else has definite likes and dislikes when it comes to teaching exercises...( I admit, I'm bored at the moment!!) I always really enjoy stalling, the circuit and nav but can't bear slow flight.

Anybody else feel the same way??

bingofuel
30th Jul 2010, 12:21
Are you bored with teaching or bored because you are not flying?

mad_jock
30th Jul 2010, 23:35
I hate circuits with a passion but funny enough quite like teaching PFL's.

I am happy teaching the whole lot generally but when you get 2-3 students all at the same point the same lesson 3 times a day is a pain in the bum.

Cows getting bigger
31st Jul 2010, 11:07
3 bores me.
6 can be very frustrating but can also be good.
12/13 leading to a 14 is fun.
15/16/18B are my most favourite.

RTN11
31st Jul 2010, 12:40
10 can be very bad with a nervous student, but if they're confident then it's my fav.

I've got 12+13 all day today, that really does get boring.

mad_jock
31st Jul 2010, 17:00
My record was 68 circuits in one day :eek:

RTN11
31st Jul 2010, 18:38
I managed around 40 today. It could've been more, but I hopped out and let the student get on with it on his own.

BEagle
31st Jul 2010, 19:43
Favourite: Low Level Intro.

Least favourite: Descending 2.

Dan Winterland
1st Aug 2010, 05:03
I loved formation, particularly tailchasing.

Least liked anything to do with instruments, particularly holding!

NorthRider
1st Aug 2010, 06:22
During the first I get to fly alot
Circuits are full of action.
Aeros.....need I say more?
Any flight is better than working for a living.

welliewanger
13th Aug 2010, 21:00
Least favourite: Effects of controls. "Please can I sign you up to a course? No? Oh, you're just another one here for a laugh"

Favourite common lesson: Nav.

Favourite uncommon lesson: Spinning.

Favouritest flight of all time ever ever ever: Father and son. Dad's an ex para. Son worships the ground dad walks on and wants to join the paras. Unfortunately he's scared of flying. Dad has brought him along to "make a man of him."
Like a red rag to a bull! :} Not many trial flights get a spiral dive with a big pull out, over the top into zero G, all in IMC.

Vortex Thing
20th Aug 2010, 22:07
Love spinning/aeros, formation, instruments and nav especially LL Nav

I love the ah ha moments in Nav. Blogs are you sure you have studied the route, are you sure you track, alt and timings are correct for this leg. Excellent you can have the map back at 2 mins before your checkpoint/way-point then. Sit back stare out the window and watch the countryside go under the nose.

The realization that the event cycle actually does what it says on the tin is so satisfying.

Don't mind circuits as long as the progression is there but slow flight and C&D can be a bit "can we get on with it" exercises

VFE
21st Aug 2010, 14:56
An hour of Ex.3 with some chavvy nobsack who's arrivied via Red Letter Days (or some other *ahem!* "flight experience" outfit) from the other side of the country....

Feel more like an entertainer than a flying instructor. Oh, and being bored dizzy with the same banal questions such as "how long have you been flying then?" and "whats the biggest plane you've ever flown?" etc etc..... zzzzzzzzzz! Wouldn't be so bad but you know for a fact that they're not even listening to the bloody answer you trot out verbatim for the millionth time 'cause they'd rather be anywhere but 3000 feet up in a tiny fartbox.

The boke bag is just over there, just gimme a nudge when you've think you've pleased the gormless pranny who bought you this unwanted gift sufficiently enough that we might land early leaving me in peace with my regular students.

VFE.

madlandrover
21st Aug 2010, 23:00
Or "Don't you ever want to fly commercial", or "Weren't you good enough to fly passengers then". Often closely followed by "I don't feel so well" :E

heliboy999
29th Aug 2010, 21:38
Vortex ring state in Helicopters always makes me feel just a bit too uneasy!
Teaching the hover always enjoyable especialy when they finally get it!

mykul10
3rd Sep 2010, 14:40
At the moment I'm fed up with PFL and Stalling - done quite a few LST/LPC's recently. Love teaching instrument flight. Aeros I'm sure would be good fun...if only....

Junta Leader
7th Sep 2010, 17:59
Have to love any sortie where the trainee suddenly 'gets it' and has that lightbulb moment - especially if they've been struggling or trying for a while. I had a memorable student a while ago who was an ace in the circuit down to the last 15 feet. We went off on quite a bumpy afternoon, I tried something slightly different and the only thing that stopped him going solo there and then was the wind - and the club's regulations!!!

Other than that, teaching Advanced PPL skills is the most fun for me; Formation and Aeros - preferably a combination of both...

JL:}