PDA

View Full Version : PPL at RAF Benson flying club

Mountain Wings
29th Jul 2010, 19:31
Hi there,

(I have posted once before in March while stationed at RAF Valley on MRT but this is my first post from Benson)

Im stationed at RAF Benson (PASF) as a fairy Cpl and would love to do my PPL.

I've been to the training clerk about using my £2000 education allowance for this but have been told that I can only use it for my PPL if I'm leaving the RAF, serving breveted aircrew, my job requires me in some way to do my PPL, or I am a key committee member of the flying club.

I tried to say that as serving airmen and aircraft technicians it would benefit the service if we get a better understanding of what is involved with flying aircraft, the stresses the airframe is under which would help when we have our fixing/servicing heads on.

I think it fell on deaf ears!

Does anyone know of a way that I can get help from the service to do my PPL.

Thanks,

MW

St Johns Wort
29th Jul 2010, 20:27
I think that the bloke who runs the club has dealt with this before, with a happy ending. Touch base with him when he RTBs. Bell his office to find out when.

Regards

BEagle
30th Jul 2010, 07:04
Does the Sir Philip Sassoon scholarship scheme still exist?

AndyGB
30th Jul 2010, 10:33
Not Benson, but the Waddington club seems to indicate that you can use ELC.

-------------------------------

Training

The club is an authorised ELCAS Provider (Provider number 1714). You may be able to use your Enhanced Learning Credit towards the cost of your flying training. More details from Chris Hives or the Learning Centre.

tridriver
30th Jul 2010, 12:50
MW

Both Brize Norton and Halton Flying Clubs are ELCAS compliant; both within easy reach of Benson.

PM me and I'll be happy to assist.

TD

tmmorris
30th Jul 2010, 16:10
I'll put you in touch with the Benson CFI. Seems a bit barmy to go to Halton or Brize when there's a perfectly good club at Benson...

Tim

tridriver
30th Jul 2010, 20:43
Tim

Not sure if Benson is ELCAS registered-but if it is fill ya boots.

TD

MajM
1st Aug 2010, 16:20
MW

The RAF Benson Flying Club is ELCAS registered.

The Education Centre (or whatever it is called nowadays) is talking rubbish - anyone who is entitled to ELC can use it towards flying training. You will have to do some sort of 'career development plan' showing that your PPL will be of benefit to the Armed Forces or that it is part of your resettlement plan, if you are in that zone. The line to take is that the PPL is the first step towards gaining a commercial licence with a view to becoming an instructor at a military flying club. There is guidance on the RAFFCA website and, if necessary, RAFFCA will write to the Educators explaining exactly why they are in the wrong. If you want to chat about it, give me a call on 94240 5684.

Mountain Wings
1st Aug 2010, 20:58
Many thanks to everyone who replied.

I will be in touch.

MW