PDA

View Full Version : London 2012

finals06
29th Jul 2010, 07:31
Anyone know of any plans for a heliport serving the Olympic Park in 2012?

Yellow & Blue Baron
29th Jul 2010, 07:42
I asked same question some months before - no body knows. You have Helikopter Advising Board but seems to be nothing!

PANews
29th Jul 2010, 08:05
As is usual around here I think you may find the general attitude is 'It will never happen' ....

One day .... maybe soon... the authorities will decide it will happen and then panic will ensue. Trouble is the desinated planners are civil servants not commercial and they think things like helipads grow on trees ...:ugh:

Yellow & Blue Baron
29th Jul 2010, 08:16
Finals06, see my London Heliport thread: http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/409627-new-london-heliport.html

Satcop
29th Jul 2010, 08:59
Temporary heliport operators and the BHA have been doing a lot of work on this. Sites have been found however they have been deemed unsuitable by various authorities.

The organisers only seem concerned about sites for the emergency services.

JimBall
29th Jul 2010, 09:21
Because the 2012 Olympics have been branded the Green Olympics, there is no desire at the top level of the ODA for any heliports.

However, I still would lay bets on something northside of the docks at LCY. The Red Bull strip is still there - and I noticed it is being used by JCB as a digger demo area. JCB - helicopters.....???

JTobias
29th Jul 2010, 11:00
I recently sat next to a member of HCGB who had been down to London with the Secretary of the HCGB to see the sports minister or the transport secretary (can't remember which) to discuss this very subject.

Apparently, at the moment, there is more chance of finding other intelligent life forms in the solar system. Allegedly, its the Mayor's decision and he is apparently very heli-unfriendly.

Pathetic!

Joel:ok:

JimBall
29th Jul 2010, 12:31
Allegedly, its the Mayor's decision and he is apparently very heli-unfriendly.

I think he's getting confused. It's HIS chopper that's causing all his problems.
Not ours.

HeliCraig
29th Jul 2010, 13:44
You see I heard old Boris was very chopper friendly....

... the two wheeled variety, and then only when funded by his chums at Barclays and when also painting vast swathes of the capital a distinctly Tory blue. :8 :O

JulieAndrews
29th Jul 2010, 21:40
I doubt decision will be anything to do with Boris - can just imagine Obama using the Tube.
Olympic organising committee paid a consultant to review requirements of aoc operators - why did they not direct their enquiries towards BHA?
who is advising LOCOG?
sounds like CAA & DoT are keeping their heads buried in the Thames silt.
Please no one mention Battersea - location is a red herring for transport to Olympics

Brilliant Stuff
30th Jul 2010, 18:02
I read in helicopter International that the panic is now on and they are working seriously on this very problem.

JTobias
30th Jul 2010, 20:46
Coz they didn't know that there might be traffic issues did they?

Idiots