PDA

View Full Version : The Last ASIC And The Last Medical.

Sunfish
28th Jul 2010, 23:57
I've done the paperwork to renew the ASIC and I've booked the class 2 Medical. I've got a year to go for another flight review.

I've decided that unless there is a marked change in the GA and RA aviation environment by the time the medical and ASIC expire, then I'm out of the game permanently.

Factors.

1. Continuing increase in restrictions and costs of everything plus declining service levels everywhere. For example Aerodrome fees and availability of Avgas, and the continuing pressure by property developers and NIMBys to close airports. I live close to YPCK, any chance of using it and saving an hours drive to YMMB? Nope.

2. Less than helpful regulatory environment that isn't going to change anytime soon, backed by (according to pprune) vicious enforcement tactics. I won't be going to Birdsville, not because I wouldn't mind the trip, but because I don't wish to run the gauntlet of the Ramp check and now drug and alcohol goons. I do my best to comply, but there is no way I can't be tripped up by someone intent on finding an issue. Furthermore, a simple visit to the aircraft to retrieve a camera after lunch at a YBHI, or after a Panadiene tablet for a headache, can land me with an infringement and no way of legally getting home. I can't stand officious goons.

3. Not much prospect of RAA getting their 600 kg limit. I drool over some of the kit aircraft available overseas, but the tangled regulatory minefield and restrictions on use are too much to risk spending the money at the moment.

Everything seems to rest on CASA "interpretations" of the rules, with the threat of impossible to fund legal action as the only avenue available for dispute resolution.

There is just too much uncertainty to bother with, and unless it improves, I'm outta here.

Frank Arouet
29th Jul 2010, 02:12
There are heaps of 600kg LSA aircraft on the RA-Aus register.

Have you done the Sonex "reality check" yet? Sonex -- The Sport Aircraft Reality Check! (http://www.sonexaircraft.com/)

If you use their engines, they must be assembled by the buyer giving you even more autonomy in the owner/builder/maintainer catagory. The aircraft kits can be put together easily in the one year of your decision making.

Cheers.:)

Sunfish
29th Jul 2010, 10:17
Frank:

There are heaps of 600kg LSA aircraft on the RA-Aus register.

BS! And the same goes for RAA aircraft that are allowed to operate over populated areas.

I can't and won't even ask CASA regarding that matter because it incriminates myself were I to build an aircraft in that category! I''ve asked the RAA! I'll be ****** if I have to have a handshake to operate an aircraft.

Are you another one of these characters who sidle up and say ""well strictly speaking the regulations say "XXXXXXXXXXXX" but I can give you an exemption".

RAA is limited to 544 Kg and that is that until hell freezes over. I might as well buy a clapped out C150, since that is more useful provided I have a medical. (Yes! I have asked!)

I spent weeks trying to make sense of the regulations and all I got in the end was "trust me". I'm not investing $50,000+++ on that basis, nor would anyone with half a brain. The choice seems to be between the cost of GA versus the uncertainty of RA and I don't think I should need to be required to end up debating the finer points of the regulations on some airfield some where.

There is no certainty in anything to do with aviation in Australia - ie: no ironclad way to ensure one complies, therefore no certainty in investment, therefore stick it up your ****, compared to other investment priorities.

To put it another way, it would be preferable to build a railway to Innamincka before you sealed the strip there.

superdimona
29th Jul 2010, 10:31
I have 2 degrees, and I'm quite often wrong!

LeadSled
29th Jul 2010, 11:16
Sunfish,

Sadly, many other have already or are coming to the same conclusion.

Wait 'til you see the new CASR Part 91, General Operating and Flight Rules, it will only reinforce your pessimistic tendencies, it's a shocker.

As has been the case for so long now, the various aviation factions (a bit like the Labor Party) seem to find it impossible to act in cooperation.

A question I have asked for so long, and I am no nearer an answer, is "why in Australia" ??? --- I fly/have flown in UK, US,NZ,CA, SA, PNG ----- and in none of these countries is the aviation atmosphere like it is now in Australia ---- and in the dim distant past, it was not like this in Australia, either.

Flying in the US or Canada is a pleasure, NZ is good, no fears of the Airstapo there, either.

Mostly it has come about since the Civil Aviation Act 1988 (a deeply flawed piece of legislation) went into place, and really accelerated with the formation of CASA.

Tootle pip!!

Mr. Hat
29th Jul 2010, 11:50
Few of my Jetstar mates are starting to think the same Sunfish. They've had enough. Either that or EK they say.

VH-XXX
29th Jul 2010, 12:19
RAA is limited to 544 Kg and that is that until hell freezes over. I might as well buy a clapped out C150, since that is more useful provided I have a medical. (Yes! I have asked!)

Where did you come up with this from?

600 has been around for years now, just not all aircraft on the register (LSA) although this will be soon enough.

You need to change tack (note my use of a sailing term here to make it easy for you to understand :-) ) and look at why RAA is expanding so quickly and how there are more than ever light aircraft on the market at the moment. These guys are legally flying into controlled airspace and over built up areas in a daily basis, so I have no idea where you got your info except you may have got it from a mad Irishman? which could be half your problem.

I've done it all over 10 years, the raa, ga, back and forth, both at the same time and it's not that hard and not much has changed that actually directly affects me and my freedoms.

Sunfish
29th Jul 2010, 22:21
Where did you come up with this from?

600 has been around for years now, just not all aircraft on the register (LSA) although this will be soon enough.

You need to change tack (note my use of a sailing term here to make it easy for you to understand :-) ) and look at why RAA is expanding so quickly and how there are more than ever light aircraft on the market at the moment. These guys are legally flying into controlled airspace and over built up areas in a daily basis, so I have no idea where you got your info except you may have got it from a mad Irishman? which could be half your problem.

I've done it all over 10 years, the raa, ga, back and forth, both at the same time and it's not that hard and not much has changed that actually directly affects me and my freedoms.

600Kg. has not been around for years. The RAA is restricted to 544Kg. There is a 5000ft height limit and no flying over populated areas without permission unless factory built. Exactly which kit built aircraft has a 600kg MTOW? Is That VH or RA registered, and exactly what regulation is it registered under, or has it got some "exemption" by special individual CASA approval and can it legally fly over populated areas? I have been back and forth through the regulations and I can't find such a beast.

CASA has the same "populated areas" clause in regard to experimental aircraft although exactly how the Vari Eze and occasional Lancair make it to YMMB is beyond me, since I understand CASA only gives permission on a flight by flight basis and that it is not easy to obtain. I also wonder at the trikes that appear in fine weather over my house. How the hell do they get away with that?

There is one very nice all metal LSA kit aircraft that is selling like hotcakes in the USA. The first one here is being built and it will be limited to 544 Kg. Furthermore, it has to undergo some CASA magic procedure since it is "first of type". What about the fact that the aircraft under the U.S. LSA rules can have multiple engine or avionics choices? Is each slightly different aircraft going to be "first of type" too?

I've tried to work my way through the regulations and had some conversations about the matter, but we always get back, not to the letter of the regulation, but to CASA's "interpretation" of the regulations, which seems to change with the wind.

What is totally lacking in the entire aviation industry in Australia is any form of LEADERSHIP. Not from Government, not from CASA, not from the multitude of associations, schools, operators and unions (with the notable exception of the Lames union), all of whom snipe at each other all the time.

For example, it's obvious that the whole business with raging FOI's is a product of the lack of a publicly available FOI manual that sets standards and limits the possibility of creative "interpretations" which have plagued operators from one side of the Continent to the other.

Furthermore, there is no mechanism for feedback, let alone simple checklists of administrative requirements for flying schools, operators etc. For example, do flying schools Australia wide, now have a simple checklist explaining how many hours solo a student can do without a dual recheck, both pre and post GFPT? I know of one school that didn't.

Then of course there is no Australia wide standardisation of methods of instruction, although some schools run their own schemes. The whole "demonstrate competence" training method is BS. Sure I can demonstrate it on test day, ask me to do it again when I'm tired and distracted and you may get a different result. My training experience and the insurance excess associated with one expensive self taught "lesson" had me asking myself as a newly qualified PPL "what else don't I know"? That has had me seeking out good instructors ever since.

And as I've said before, the minefield of regulation when examining the possibility of buying and building a kit aircraft, something Americans do every day of the week, and maintaining them flying them where and when they want to with very little let and hindrance. Not in Australia any time soon!

And finally there are the blank looks one gets as a PPL, when one wanders in to the bigger flying schools, perhaps interested in some refresher training or aircraft hire, when they realise you are not an Indian or Chinese kid they can take for $40,000. "We are very busy you know".

I've put up with all this assuming that as a newcomer I just wasn't seeing the full picture, and that eventually the scales would fall from my eyes and everything I was seeing would fall into place and make sense. Well it doesn't. I will persist a while longer, but if there is no discernable improvement in the amount of BS I'm asked to wade through to go flying, then I will forget it.

Frank Arouet
29th Jul 2010, 23:31
Sunfish. You have a lot of justified anger showing and one can only agree with your frustrations.

You are right about CASA "exemptions". Indeed most Airlines fly under some "exemption" or another and RA-Aus is not special in this regard.

The thing is though, with some 10,000 compulsory members RA-Aus represent about 1/3 of the Australian aviation population. Do you believe CASA would kill this potential "milch cow"?

The following from a well known aviation identity;

CASA has more or less admitted they can’t produce a set of workable rules under the present criminal law drafting rules, hence it is now “policy” that Legislative Instruments (concessions and other special deals) will become a normal part of day to day business

BTW: A Brumby or Jabiru can fly over populous areas and above 5000ft if it is registered with RA-Aus as a 600kg LSA. The identical aircraft not so registered can't and as you say is limited at this stage to 544kg.

A motor glider with a VW engine can fly over populous areas and above 5,000ft and at any weight and in controlled airspace. A 750kg experimental aircraft with a Rollason Ardem (VW) engine can do likewise. A 544kg ultralight with a "certified" or "approved" engine and airframe and necessary gear, can do the same, and if the pilot has a medical with CTR endorsement he can fly into controlled airspace.

Re the multitude of associations and leadership. Did you know that John McKormick has refused to do business with any representation of the combined organisations and prefers to only deal with the individual splinter groups, thus maintaining the "divide and conquer" tactic which is so usefull in warfare.

And that's probably the major problem. CASA see any part of GA as "the enemy" that "they" are at WAR with.

With a mindset like that, we all probably should be sailing until that becomes illegal.:uhoh:

Sunfish
29th Jul 2010, 23:48
BTW: A Brumby or Jabiru can fly over populous areas and above 5000ft if it is registered with RA-Aus as a 600kg LSA. The identical aircraft not so registered can't and as you say is limited at this stage to 544kg.

Thanks for your comment Frank, my understanding is that that only applies to factory built aircraft. See my PM.

As for the 544kg limit, that was told to me by the RAA itself. There was hope that it might be increased. The kit built LSA first of type is I understand from its builder limited to 544Kg, even though it is registered at 600 kg elsewhere in the world.

peuce
30th Jul 2010, 00:24
Ah, Frank, the Holy Grail ... a combined Aviation Group!

It would be great if CASA and a Head Group could sort out all the issues, however, do you believe that the Organisations could come up with a combined position?

I don't think so, and CASA propbably doesn't think so. They know that after a compromise is sorted with the Head Group, a multitude of Organisations will come out of the woodwork screaming ... "we never agreed to that!"

Perhaps a start might be agreement on non-controvertial issues ... and work up from there. I'd love to see it, but I think I'm going to be dissapointed.

Frank Arouet
30th Jul 2010, 01:10
peuce;

AUSAC is one.

Sunfish
30th Jul 2010, 06:29
AUSAC? I can explain how to start and build a nationwide association. Done it before successfully.

The Green Goblin
30th Jul 2010, 06:53
Factors.

1. Continuing increase in restrictions and costs of everything plus declining service levels everywhere. For example Aerodrome fees and availability of Avgas, and the continuing pressure by property developers and NIMBys to close airports. I live close to YPCK, any chance of using it and saving an hours drive to YMMB? Nope.

Everything costs money and it has got to come from somewhere. The aerodrome is on a prime piece of land and it needs to pay for itself AKA Landing fees. If it is not paying for itself the developers will make it pay.

2. Less than helpful regulatory environment that isn't going to change anytime soon, backed by (according to PPRuNe) vicious enforcement tactics. I won't be going to Birdsville, not because I wouldn't mind the trip, but because I don't wish to run the gauntlet of the Ramp check and now drug and alcohol goons. I do my best to comply, but there is no way I can't be tripped up by someone intent on finding an issue. Furthermore, a simple visit to the aircraft to retrieve a camera after lunch at a YBHI, or after a Panadiene tablet for a headache, can land me with an infringement and no way of legally getting home. I can't stand officious goons.

I've never had a problem with the CASA. The only time a Pilot deals with them is for medicals or licence issues. Keep fit, keep your nose clean and don't jump up and down and you will never have a problem with them.

A ramp check? Pfffft I've never had one and I am a full time Pilot. The chance of a weekend warrior getting ramped is marginal at best. If you do get ramped make sure you have your correct paper work and be courteous and you will never have a problem. Just like a licence check by your local constabulary.

If you are flying - don't drink, if you have a headache that requires panadiene tablets you should not be flying. The only time you will ever be subjected to a drug and alcohol check is if you are a professional Pilot being screened as part of your preemployment induction. I have not heard of a PPL being checked yet.

3. Not much prospect of RAA getting their 600 kg limit. I drool over some of the kit aircraft available overseas, but the tangled regulatory minefield and restrictions on use are too much to risk spending the money at the moment.

This is a good thing. If you can afford a larger aeroplane you can afford the maintenance and regulatory requirements that are associated with the CASA system.

Everything seems to rest on CASA "interpretations" of the rules, with the threat of impossible to fund legal action as the only avenue available for dispute resolution.

Such is law. Ever been to a courtroom?

There is just too much uncertainty to bother with, and unless it improves, I'm outta here.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill and in my opinion looking for an excuse to post on a professional Pilots forum.

Good riddance if you leave. Take your ill informed views and bad attitude with you.

AUSAC? I can explain how to start and build a nationwide association. Done it before successfully.

You seem so obsessed with narcissists. Look in the mirror :cool:

PA39
30th Jul 2010, 07:32
Red tape has been around forever, the older you get the higher the hoops become.........but thats the challenge, to keep in there. Inflation has taken hold of everything.....it costs me nearly 6 bucks to buy a Southern Comfort and coke these days.....but it won't stop me from drinking it because i enjoy it. The increase costs of aviation won't stop me flying...maybe reduce the total hrs per yr...but it won't stop me flying because its what i love.

Hang in there, don't give something up because it all becomes too hard!!

LeadSled
30th Jul 2010, 08:05
I've never had a problem with the CASA. The only time a Pilot deals with them is for medicals or licence issues. Keep fit, keep your nose clean and don't jump up and down and you will never have a problem with them.

Folks,
How many times have I heard that, nobody who hasn't been on the sharp end of CASA, doesn't believe what happens, until it happens to them.

It is this kind of complacency that make it so hard to get any kind of overarching representative body to work.

Ask tailwheel if CASA are really nice warm cuddly people, and it is only a species of aviation crim that CASA goes after.

Even when it comes to something like a medical, you can pretty soon find out that DAME handbook standards mean nothing ---- as for the "meaning" of the rest of the rules ---- if everything was hunky dory, there would not have been so many inquiries into the workings of CASA and its immediate predecessor, over the years, at one stage an average of one every two years (not counting ICAO and FAA audits) .

Including the longest ever inquiry by the Commonwealth since federation in 1901 !!

The only time you will ever be subjected to a drug and alcohol check is if you are a professional Pilot being screened as part of your preemployment induction.Absolute rubbish, I suggest you very rapidly check the DAMP rules, and how they are being applied, right from gliding and RAOz up.

Tootle pip!!

The Green Goblin
30th Jul 2010, 08:33
Quote:
The only time you will ever be subjected to a drug and alcohol check is if you are a professional Pilot being screened as part of your preemployment induction.
Absolute rubbish, I suggest you very rapidly check the DAMP rules, and how they are being applied, right from gliding and RAOz up.

Tootle pip!!

We all know the legislation however practically how often have you seen CASA at Bellburn or Oombi doing tests?

I have had two, both for preemployment testing. Never randomly by CASA.

Deaf
30th Jul 2010, 09:02
We all know the legislation however practically how often have you seen CASA at Bellburn or Oombi doing tests?

Some bits from another site

On Saturdat 5/6/2010 our Aero club was having a meeting on our privately owned 500 acre property, when this dude from CASA WALKS IN With an attitude no knock on the door holding out his badge stating i want 3 of you for Drug and Alcohol testing, we said no one is flying and we are in a meeting,

HI, yes he had a CASA Badge, he had been out to the main PT augusta Airstrip to bag the RFDS but they were closed, HE then phoned the CFI at the REC FLYING SCHOOL he got his number off the hanger there and got him to drive out there so he could drug test him and he complied, the CFI there then told him about our location and details of aircraft and he then proceeded to invade our meeting he stated a number of times about his paid holiday on Govt money, and yes lots of witneses, he tested 2 persons here a pensioner who does not fly and 1 pilot the test kit cost $30.00 per person tax payers money, the form he fills out is very detailed about yourself and is in triplicate which 1 copy stays with you, yep i think CASA have to look into this as this guy was contracted by CASA to perform what he does for them as an agent, but he should work within the law and the Public Sector Management Act.

Cloud Basher
30th Jul 2010, 09:08
My hobbies all seem to be the ones where government intervention is at its greatest. Shooting, 4WDing and flying. Shooting is obvious and we are lucky that with the change of laws since 1996 it has FORCED the gun lobby to have one voice (the SSAA) who now have seats in the NSW parliament and are effective. The 4WD association is not as strong as it could be although the Vic one is doing great things to get access to previously closed tracks and members are taking responsibility for those tracks.

I have digressed but GA is the issue here. And I can tell you from all those activities (plus more such as Water Skiing, Jet Skiing, etc etc that the problem is NOT CASA or the government. The problem is US! Yes that’s right YOU AND ME! Now sunfish you will not like me saying that but your attitude prevails throughout GA and THAT IS THE PROBLEM!!!! Rather than force the aviation alphabet groups to get along and have one voice, we simply do not care enough as pilots to do that. Rather than strong leaders stand up and take the reins, we are too busy doing everything else in our lives. Until WE as pilots take responsibility for our future then GA will continue as it is.

A poster here stated John McCormack will not speak to one voice, he will only speak to individual splinter groups? Why do you think that is, do you think he would rather take up ten hours of his day speaking with ten people, all with essentially the same gripe or do you think he would rather speak to one. The reason he HAS to speak with ten (or whatever number it is) is because WE as pilots force him to. But we as pilots are either do not care and go about our business as really - as the GREEN Goblin says; CASA does not really affect very many pilots at all - so we are apathetic. An extra $100 here and extra $100 there, we sit back on PPRUNE and say "that is outrageous, but we go along and pay it, rather than lobbying our one voice (like they do in America - AOPA) and getting them to use our member funds to fight it.

AOPA, joined with a couple of other (but not as large) aviation industry groups - presented ONE voice to Congress and recently had the bill for User Pays squashed. But they were ONE voice and as such they were able to show the pollies how many votes they were representing and thus they took notice.

I could not really care of AOPA's past, I could not care about the other groups who mean little to me, but if we do care - but not enough to stand up and be counted ourselves, every pilot in the country should be a member of AOPA. People have complained in all aviation media and here saying AOPA are hopeless, AOPA couldn't do this etc, how many of you have stood for office, how many members do they have? AOPA is a democracy and a democracy ALWAYS reflects the people it represents. So if they are apathetic, in this case AOPA is apathetic or perhaps ineffective because it has very few members.

I challenge every pilot out there, which if you care about flying then you should be a member of AOPA, this gives them credibility, this gives them NUMBERS, to take these issues to pollies. John McCormick would then be forced to talk with just one representative. And if you do not like what AOPA does, then be an active member, vote, find a representative that does put forward what you believe in. Until we get this GA will continue exactly as Sunfish has stated, but I state it again, it is NOT the governments or CASA's fault, it is ours. Isn't democracy wonderful...

Cheers
CB

Edited to Add: I am not on the board or anything of AOPA and I am only saying they are the group we should all be a part of as they are international, they are recognised and have been around for a long time so more politicians are aware of their existance. At the end of the day it is only publicity and numbers which will result in any change of benefit to pilots. And as far as I am concerned AOPA is the only organisation that can do this (with proper and effective leadership)

Howard Hughes
30th Jul 2010, 09:14
A ramp check? Pfffft I've never had one and I am a full time Pilot.
I have been flying for 27 years and had four, all were conducted professionally and corteously. As everything was in order I had no problems, my only concern from one experience, was that the FOI did not know the difference between BEW and operating weight!:eek:

PS: As soon as funds allow, RAA beckons!:ok:

Rose_Thorns
30th Jul 2010, 09:16
A cobbler should stick to his last. Great jokes mate, but, gee whiz man.

"'I've' never had a problem with the CASA".

Never, not even just a tiny little irritating rash? I assume (hope) this comment is tongue in cheek (a Friday night stir). Every man jack, even non aviation people have had a 'problem' of some sort with bunch, even if it is only a simple matter of they managed to loose your license, or as Sunfish says -
"I've tried to work my way through the regulations and had some conversations about the matter, but we always get back, not to the letter of the regulation, but to CASA's "interpretation" of the regulations, which seems to change with the wind".

Seems to me that everyone has a 'pet' CASA interpretation of one reg/order or the other, the issues that the non jokers are trying to bring forward is that the interpretation is always subjective. Various FOI 'see' things differently.

It's not their fault, blame the way our regulations are written, or the lobotomy (it's easier). Point is that there has been more litigation, heartache and plain old fashioned trouble caused by the fact that our laws are flawed. Seriously flawed and very much subject to 'interpretation.

"The only time you will ever be subjected to a drug and alcohol check is if you are a professional Pilot being screened as part of your pre employment induction".

Hello, earth calling GG.

"Good riddance if you leave. Take your ill informed views and bad attitude with you".

Not required, how are we to get industry cohesion if only one mans dog can bite.

Ancient saying – There are only two ways of gaining knowledge, easiest is to listen.

Tailwinds. Lilum (inter spinas).

Counter-rotation
30th Jul 2010, 09:29

With all due respect mate (whatever that may be to you), the fact that:
(1) you've never been randomly tested, and
(2) never seen CASA at "Bellburn or Oombi"

therefore you conclude:
(1) they've never conducted a random test, or
(2) they've never been to "Bellburn or Oombi"

is about as conclusive as me saying I've:

(1) never been to the moon

therefore:

(2) no one else has either (all the conspiracy theorists must be right!)

Keep fit, keep your nose clean and don't jump up and down and you will never have a problem with them

Keep fit - yep, agreed. I do try... BUT

Keep your nose clean - well, that FOI reckons it was clean, but now this one is telling me it isn't / wasn't!!

THAT IS PRETTY MUCH TIED UP WITH THE REASON FOR SUNFISH STARTING THIS THREAD, AND HE HAS A BLOODY GOOD ARGUMENT IF YOU ASK ME

Dont' jump up and down - is that code for "cop whatever they wheel out, whenever they wheel it out, even if it is rubbish, unworkable, unreasonable, incorrect... ... ..."

WHY SHOULD A PERSON IN THE INDUSTRY HAVE TO ADOPT THAT ATTITUDE, JUST TO GET BY?? FAIR ENOUGH IF YOU WANT TO - GO RIGHT AHEAD. BUT IT SURE AS SH!T SHOULD NOT BE A PRE-REQUISITE!

That's how I feel about it anyway. I don't know the details of RAA, or VH vs RA registration, but Sunfish is completely justified in his frustrations, and I share them to a very large extent.

CR.

Frank Arouet
30th Jul 2010, 23:23
I am not on the board or anything of AOPA and I am only saying they are the group we should all be a part of as they are international,

They, Australian AOPA, are NOT part of International AOPA. They opted out because they thought it a waste of time and money.

I've never had a problem with the CASA

I have and it cost me in excess of $100,000 and 8 years of my life.

ForkTailedDrKiller
31st Jul 2010, 01:16
I have never been ramped, but Bro has. He was about 40 yrs old at the time, a CPL flying his own aircraft on a private flight.

"I want to talk to you son", says the FOI as he walked up to Bro!

That intro would have been enough for me to suggest he go and have coitus with himself! However, Bro is a much more benign character than I.

Paperwork was all in order, and log book entries for a couple of IR renewals with highly respected GA figure well known to the FOI, resulted in an significant attitude adjustment.

Dr :8

Monopole
31st Jul 2010, 02:26
I have been ramp checked 4 times in 14 years. Three times as a skipper and once as an FO. For three of the checks, the CASA had been on the field for 3 or 4 days, so you would of deserved a flogging if you did not have your gear in order. The fourth was at some remote dump of an airstrip (so I wouldnt actually be surprised to here of an FOI at Oombi or Bellburn one day, and maybe more Bellburn so they could do a trip to the gorges while they're there).

The only comment out of all of them was that a line on my Balance sheet could of been straighter, but he could "tell at a glance" that even if it was straight, it would still be well within balance. Being a little zealous maybe, but no more then the occasional cop on the road. If they want to find something, they will. But overall, if you are doing the right thing, then it is a non event.

As for Sunfish. I recall you saying one day that you were never again going to contribute to Pprune. 2000 post latter, and you're still here. You wont give up flying, it's already in your blood........... :ok:

Joker 10
31st Jul 2010, 09:38
Sunfish you are right on the money I have bought the hangar and a self launching Glider now I am looking for a suitable LSA that will land on water and Bitumen, the Collyaer looks the goods.

PA39
31st Jul 2010, 23:44
"never been ramped"......how about being grounded for a door exit light being inoperative at night in Parafield............in a freighter!!

Frank Arouet
1st Aug 2010, 01:15
Bloke I know got a "show cause" for one missing dustcap on the tyre. Thing was he had the circuit magistrate on board at the time who saw the bastardisation and how far some would go when they have a "set" on you.

He, like myself, eventually won the battle, but we lost the war and wasted part of our lives.

Believe me, CASA will persue you to the last cent in the taxpayers purse.

Andy_RR
1st Aug 2010, 04:51
A good Czech friend of mine tells me daily life in Australia is more restrictive than the communist Czechoslovakia he escaped from in the late '60s - and it worries him. It's not just CASA either...

The current situation might be bearable, but the direction is wrong!

If you want to know where this country's heading, have a listen to this guy. It'll only take an hour or so of your time.

Soviet Subversion of the Free World Press - 1984 (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2307456730142665916#)

mcgrath50
1st Aug 2010, 07:09
Well that's clearly not true. None of us have been 'disappeared' for complaining about the government in this thread. In fact I'll go one step further;

The current government of Australia should be replaced by a better one.

If the police kick in more door tonight, i'll stand corrected. :ok:

Andy_RR
1st Aug 2010, 08:18
Clearly mcgrath50, you're in a better position to judge, since you were there in the '60s, weren't you?

PA39
1st Aug 2010, 08:30
Well that's clearly not true. None of us have been 'disappeared' for complaining about the government in this thread. Are you sure about this, how would we know?? lol. :eek: and "kick the door in"...i can give you one instance where the regulator has done this!!

mcgrath50
1st Aug 2010, 11:02
No I wasn't alive in the 60's (my parents themselves were still in school) but I have studied soviet history more than most pilots. I'm not defending CASA or the government and agree we live in a nanny state that is plagued with the public service working not for the people but to justify their jobs. BUT there is no way we live in the sort of state that characterised Czechoslovakia of the 60s

ampclamp
1st Aug 2010, 11:10
Getting back to sunfishes point , I cannot wait to have my last ASIC issued, last driving test last license renewal etc.
The industry is just not fun any more. I still enjoy he company of good people that makes turning up bearable.

Still quite some years away though.:{

Jaded , yes, quite a bit.

Horatio Leafblower
1st Aug 2010, 12:53
A good Czech friend of mine tells me daily life in Australia is more restrictive than the communist Czechoslovakia he escaped from in the late '60s

...interestingly a good mate of mine escaped from Czech in the 1970s and he says the same thing :ooh:

I seem to recall we were talking about the powers of the (Australian) secret services, especially as they were changed in the last 5 years in response to the "ever present terrorist threat" but the topic of CASA and its powers also came up in the conversation

VH-XXX
2nd Aug 2010, 05:26
600Kg. has not been around for years. The RAA is restricted to 544Kg. There is a 5000ft height limit and no flying over populated areas without permission unless factory built. Exactly which kit built aircraft has a 600kg MTOW? Is That VH or RA registered, and exactly what regulation is it registered under, or has it got some "exemption" by special individual CASA approval and can it legally fly over populated areas? I have been back and forth through the regulations and I can't find such a beast.

CASA has the same "populated areas" clause in regard to experimental aircraft although exactly how the Vari Eze and occasional Lancair make it to YMMB is beyond me, since I understand CASA only gives permission on a flight by flight basis and that it is not easy to obtain. I also wonder at the trikes that appear in fine weather over my house. How the hell do they get away with that?

Sunnyjim, I really think you are over analysing and making something of something that isn't correct.

You can continue to believe that all the aircraft out there that are 600kgs, LSA and or flying around over populous areas don't exist - fact is that they do.

Classic example, LSA J230 Jaburi, been around for a few years now, is 600kgs either factory built or kit built and can fly over build up areas etc, no dramas.

Which bit are you unsure about exactly?

You can continue to bury your head in the sand by looking for regs that don't exist that say you can't, or you can look at the ones that say you can. For example you CAN fly over 5000 ft if the conditions warrant it. Pretty simple stuff, it's all in the regs. Perhaps post a specific list of questions so that we can help.

individual CASA approval and can it legally fly over populated areas?

in the CASA GA world this is called a Certificate or Airworthiness. In the RAA world it's getting approval from the Technical manager.

Sunfish
2nd Aug 2010, 22:49
XXX:

Which bit are you unsure about exactly?

Why a 600kg MTOW LSA CH750 is only allowed 544 kg in Australia at present, which is what I understand to be the case from speaking to the builder.

The general issue I'm talking about is called uncertainty. Perhaps you comply, perhaps not. Perhaps your aircraft complies, perhaps not. Perhaps your proposed operation complies, perhaps not.

....And the latest issue raised on another thread is perhaps required insurance is available, perhaps not.

Not to put too fine a point on it, the uncertainty surrounding GA and RAA in Australia is increasing, and this situation is highly inconsistent with the certainty of what happens when a pilot or aircraft fails.