PDA

View Full Version : Android App Developers

nomorecatering
28th Jul 2010, 11:15
Its settled for me. I'm going to get the HTC desire rathe than the iPhone4Gs. But theres a darth of aviation apps, especially us here in Oz.

So how much would it cost to engage a developer to make an app.

The ones I really want are;

NAIPS - particularly one where i can list my top 10 metars and call them up instantly. Would be handy when deciding where to divert to rather than bother ATC.

ERSA

CAO's $ CAR's

AIP

Weather radar

Weight & Balance for C172S, PA28 and PA28R-201, Seminole.

POH for same aircraft.

One that displays UTC time concurrent with local time

Smartcockpit

E6B

Flight n duty times

Logbook

Fuel availability

Some of these are already available for the iPhone.

What other apps would be useful.

Maybe ATPL study guides

Current GA award

Thoughts anyone.

Red Jet
28th Jul 2010, 12:09
Thoughts anyone

Yeah - I think you need some help that may not be the kind you could get, even if you DID have all the money needed to pay a developer to write all those great apps for Android hat ALREADY exists for the iPhone.

Do you seriously think that by having an app that can give you the weather for 10 other places than where you had planned to go, you don't need to BOTHER the ATC!! I mean c'mon - are you a person with a pathological dislike for Apple, or are you just too timid to call on the radio if the weather has turned to poo.

I'm :confused:

LetsFlyAway
28th Jul 2010, 12:16
I have an HTC Hero and use the Aviation Weather App which works on the Android platform

Im sure android marketplace will have most of the things your looking for. I would recommend, if this will make/break your decision then you should do some searching on Android Apps before purchasing your device.

Personally I would recommend HTC, the apps will catch up in the end!

cjm_2010
28th Jul 2010, 13:10
I have an HTC desire, and I recently discovered a $4.99 app called 'airWX'. it's tremendous. It displays the current METAR info for an airfield based on ICAO code. handy!

LetsFlyAway
28th Jul 2010, 13:41
Thats exaclty what Aviation Weather 1.5.4 (AVINAV) does, however its free..... sorry cjm to burst the $4.99 bubble :O

legaleagle73
28th Jul 2010, 14:48
Have a look at the Samsung Galaxy S - a real rival to the iphone 4.

The problem with android apps at the moment is that Australian developers can't yet sell their android apps. Google say they are going to change this but it's not known when. Until Australian developers can make some money for their work, you probably won't see the number of local aviation apps on android that you see on the iphone.

Cheers