PDA

View Full Version : Merits of working for Jetstar NZ

glatj001
27th Jul 2010, 13:35
What are the pros and cons of working for Jetstar NZ (Auckland basing only), as opposed to Jetstar Australia (Darwin basing only)? I have the EBA/IEA for both companies, and realise the obvious wage differences. APART from this, I would like to know about Jetstar NZ's:
1) Typical roster including routes for this roster and hours involved.
2) Realistic/average time from entry to captaincy.
3) Number of overnights on average per roster.
4) Staff travel/family travel perks.
5) Other pros and cons that are not clearly stated in the IEA.

Thank you for any facts you have which will help me with my decision.

tinpis
27th Jul 2010, 21:21
You could buy half of Kiwi for the price you will pay for a house here in Darwhine .
Its hot here.
Bloody hot.
Mum will bitch about how hot it is
The electricity is the dearest in the Western world, and fails often, mostly on hot days.
Everything is cheaper somewhere else
If i could order my dinner on the net from interstate I would.

empacher48
27th Jul 2010, 21:29
Against NZ:
1) Its cold
2) You get allotted your 23 sheep when you arrive - if you cast your eye on to someone else's sheep you'll be sorry.
3) You earn a poor wage being paid in South Pacific Peso..

Against Jetstar...

I do not have sufficient space to input that text..

mattyj
27th Jul 2010, 21:53
The electricity is the dearest in the Western world, and fails often, mostly on hot days

..wrong tinny..you haven't been back to Auckaloafa for a while huh...everything you said about Darwin's power applies here too..

..brownouts in summer were common a while back but the price..holy mother of mary..the price..if you had an aircon machine in Auckland during summer you could put a vending slot on it..you'd be feeding it $50's every half hour

(Thats about $5 Aussie :*)

Muff Hunter
28th Jul 2010, 07:08
Firstly, JQ oz is not Darwin base only...once you start you can bid to anywhere you want. If you go to AKL, no chance of coming to oz

Second, if you want to be paid about 60k oz a year go to nz, if you want 100k+ join JQ oz..

The choice is yours

bowing
28th Jul 2010, 08:04
hey MH you missed out on the JQ Cadet...:E

Normasars
28th Jul 2010, 10:03
$100k plus, as an F/O on the 320. yeah right. Mate, what is the BASE pay. Thats all that counts. Thats all the banks care about when its time to borrow money.

All this crap that guys spruik about allowances, overtime, DTA, and god help me SUPERANNUATION. Its all about pumping it up to justify your choice to go there.

Artificial Horizon
28th Jul 2010, 10:18
1) Typical roster including routes for this roster and hours involved.

Mix of domestic and Trans Tasman, if you have no previous A320 experience you need a year on type to fly into Queenstown, so that cuts out most domestic work. If you are stuck on Trans Tasman you will have loads of standbys and perhaps a few days here and there filling in down in Christchurch.

2) Realistic/average time from entry to captaincy.

10 months from joining for me, that was with previous jet time. No one who joined without jet time is anywhere near yet, officially company requires 3 years in the company for someone with no previous jet experience. If you have previous hours then when the vacancies come up you will be in with a shot. Lot's of expansion so good opportunities.

3) Number of overnights on average per roster.

Officially, no night stops out of AKL, as mentioned above you will likely get a couple of days a month in Christchurch.

4) Staff travel/family travel perks.

Same as Jetstar Oz, access to Qantas staff travel after 6 months.

5) Other pros and cons that are not clearly stated in the IEA.

The IEA is full of holes at the moment. Watch out for things like days off. They guarantee atleast 8 days off in each roster period, what this really means is that is all you will get. If you have 14 days flying and 8 days off they will just fill the rest with pointless standby's. No limit on the number of standbys in the IEA.

Overtime paid out at 65 hours and over, some AKL FO's aren't achieving overtime every month, the balancing of rosters between pilots is not great with some being flogged to death and others desperate to do a bit more work.

It is what you make of it, home every night (mostly) with some interesting flying is good.

You will never get on the EBA if you take a position in New Zealand, if it were me and I didn't mind where I lived I would opt for the EBA job every time. If New Zealand is the place you want to be and have no desire to go and live in OZ then the IEA is the way to go.

jibba_jabba
28th Jul 2010, 11:03
couldnt agree more,

if u want to live in nZ then fine, but you wont come back and be paid poorly.

just bide your time and dont be a bull at a gate, that way you wont get burned I reckon

glatj001
28th Jul 2010, 11:43
Artificial Horizon, thank you very much for your reply. It was the only post with valid answers :)

NGsim
28th Jul 2010, 13:57
Sheep make better lovers than Crocs.
(It had gone a few posts making actual sense......thought it was missing that annoying DG flavour!!!)

Altimeters
28th Jul 2010, 23:18
Where's the 'Like' button? :ok:

kangaroota
28th Jul 2010, 23:37
I preferred the company of sheep except for the period March 2005 to May 2006

John Citizen
29th Jul 2010, 03:19
$100k plus, as an F/O on the 320. yeah right. Mate, what is the BASE pay. Thats all that counts.

I disagree. Mate, what counts to me is what I get in the hand.

Thats all the banks care about when its time to borrow money

Yeah right. Mate, I had a home loan approved purely on the amount going into the bank account every month (as per bank account statement) :eek:

The bank did not ask / consider :
- what is base pay
- copy of EBA / work agreement / contract
- copy of payslips / group certificates
- whether or not I owe the company any money for my endorsement and if I am still making a salary sacrifice payment for it

As I said, be it for me or the banks :eek: its money in the hand that matters. :ok:

WTA...
29th Jul 2010, 13:36
Straight from the horses mouth... No JQ oz positions until NZ is crewed... :ugh:

empacher48
29th Jul 2010, 19:31
And here is the interesting thing... Jetstar won't even take on NZ pilots holding an NZ CPL with NZ ATPL subjects.

If you want in and you're in NZ, you have to go to Aussie to get your Aussie ATPL first...

I guess that means they really don't want kiwis to fly for them, just Aussies screwing other Aussies! :E

SnotNoseJockey
30th Jul 2010, 00:36
Just to add to empachers comments, I don't know anyone at my airline in NZ leaving to take jobs at jetstar NZ so maybe the Aussies bagging us should rethink the direction of their vitriol.

Definitely Aussies screwing Aussies on this one.

blacksmoke
30th Jul 2010, 02:29
Snot nose , Almost all of the current f/os are from NZ airlines!!! Many eagle (1900) capts, and f/o's. Another few about to start, and a couple of kiwis on course now. Only a couple of the current f/o's are Aust. Most of the guys on the hold file ARE from nz airlines....Recruitment in aust is still going on, but massive backlog at the moment, and many waiting for course start dates...

SnotNoseJockey
30th Jul 2010, 03:48
Def no one from my outfit has left for jstar nz although you are right about eagle but who could blame them. I'm guessing that perhaps the kiwis you are referring to have moved back.
And maybe it's my imagination but the majority of voices over the rt are missing that kiwi twang (secondments perhaps).