PDA

View Full Version : the cats out

endplay
26th Jul 2010, 13:00
Doesn't anyone on pprune read the Guardian? I was confident of a lively debate about this massive int leak but unless I've missed it?

Herc-u-lease
26th Jul 2010, 13:39
Doesn't anyone on pprune read the Guardian?

Not even if you paid me

H-u-L

Gainesy
26th Jul 2010, 13:56
Mike Rondot may have...

Sand4Gold
26th Jul 2010, 14:01
Have those ministry boys lost another laptop?

green granite
26th Jul 2010, 14:55
Would you be referring to this by any chance? (site takes a while to load) : http://wikileaks.org/wiki/Afghan_War_Diary,_2004-2010

Ned Parsnip
26th Jul 2010, 15:39
I'd have thought more discussion too endplay.

Perhaps a small sample of the way the cousins are doing business in Afghanistan may whet folks appetites

Reference ID ..........Region .............Latitude ....Longitude
AFG20090831n1231 RC SOUTH 31.76895905 64.49530792

Date Type
2009-08-31 01:01 Friendly Fire

LD BG reported AH-1 (COBRA) gunship engaged NW sanger of FF locn in BABAJI AO (BLUE on BLUE) without reason while Black Hawks were collecting ISAF Mil pax from the same location. No FF casualties were sustained. COBRA than conducted a strafing run from the south into the NW part of the FF location, and missed the NW sangar by 15 metres. COBRA then strafed Rte KRONOS up to a compound at GR 41R PR 414 160. The strafing run went into an area where locals are known to move frequently IOT go to pray. No civ cas reported ATT. ISAF Mil troops had liased on Sun 30 Aug specifying intent to extract from FF location. No casualties were sustained.

ISAF Mil have spoken to TFH Air desk. ISAF Mil JTAC has confirmed no request for hot airspace, and not authorised to engage. ISAF Mil are going to get guntapes from the COBRA and the Blackhawks. FF are now observing.

UPDATE 311105D*
Full investigation is being carried out. BG & TFH hold no further info.

***Event closed at 311118DD*

I gather there are some 90,000 documents at the link provided above. That should provide some grist for the mill.

NutLoose
26th Jul 2010, 17:12
Mike Rondot may have...

Actually he wasn't, was added by him in response to a letter he recieved and signed A Guardian reader, additionally was done with some reporter friend their to get some support from the paper.

Odd isn't it, they witter on about the trust lost between the UK and the USA for a judge at a trial releasing a bit of a military intelligence report, then misplace 90,000 pages of the stuff.....

Bit like their persecution of BP over the oil leak which is trickling onto their beaches and killing their fish stocks off and the need for BP to compensate everyone, whilst over the other side of the world 20,000 people are dead and One hundred twenty thousand people still face serious health issues outside a little town called Bhopal who have recieved nothing from the US who never even bothered to clean the site up..........

smacks of not on my backdoor mate in both cases...

Rant over :mad:

Double Zero
26th Jul 2010, 17:28
One can't help wondering why 'we' western types are so keen to shoot ourselves in the foot and furnish enemies with P.R. they could only dream of...

I suppose it's too much to hope that the bastions of press freedom get to experience life under attack from the Taliban.

On the other hand, as the demonising of BP has proven so convenient, ( while it seems that American staff had turned off alarms etc ) maybe we Brits should say " if that's how much you rate our 'friendship' you can deal with Afghanistan yourselves ! "

dead_pan
26th Jul 2010, 23:25
One of the ex-top dogs from the ISI was on the Beeb news this evening saying that it was all made-up, especially the bits about the ISI supporting the Taleban. Mind you, he didn't look very trustworthy.

It is strange how little response this news story has prompted. Perhaps it wasn't news to some people...

Two's in
27th Jul 2010, 00:38
Sadly over here in the US the only "story' is whether the blame for this can be pinned on to Obama or pushed back an Administration to George W.

Service people making the ultimate sacrifice on a daily basis is merely an interesting backdrop from which one bunch of corrupt politicians can score points off the other bunch of corrupt politicians. There is no effective Government any more, it is simply the biggest willy waving contest in Christendom between two morally bankrupt political parties.

The partisan self-interest is truly disgusting and destroying this country. Only in this environment could a wilful breach of State Security such as this be regarded as in the "Public Interest".

You don't know how lucky you are with your clowns, at least they are not losing two wars while they are all busy comparing penis sizes and taking every bribe known to man.

Andu
27th Jul 2010, 01:55
Perhaps it (ISI support of the Taliban) wasn't news to some people...I don't think it is to anyone at the coalface. I think in time, it will be shown that active support, (including providing training and military advisors) for the Taliban goes right to the top in the Pakistani Government.

I have no evidence to back this up, but I'd also go so far to suggest that Pakistani soldiers (or "ex" soldiers, a bit like "ex" Brit SAS who went into Afghanistan to help and train the locals against the Russians) will be found to have served in the ranks of the Taliban. I'd even go so far as to suggest that it will be found that they did -and are still doing - so in quite large numbers.

However, I'm first to admit that I can't prove this suspicions.

NutLoose
27th Jul 2010, 14:33
:EPssst if you wanna download secret stuff...tell em its Lady Gaga :p

:mad::mad::mad:

The Wikileaks 'source': Former army analyst facing 52 years in prison - Middle East, World - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/the-wikileaks-source-former-army-analyst-facing-52-years-in-prison-2036181.html)

Lamo contended Manning could not have done it all alone. But Manning, we learn, had sufficient guile to see that while the military had banned all personnel from using zip drives and other storage devices that might be used to download sensitive material, they had not included CD-Roms. So, he would slip in discs that he pretended were Lady Gaga albums and even reportedly lipsynched her songs as he downloaded the secret material.

Suprised they haven't said you cannot email it to your friends list either LOL.....