PDA

View Full Version : Airservices further shutting out GA at YBBN

VH-FTS
25th Jul 2010, 11:19
A couple of months ago ASA stopped VFR aircraft arriving during converging runway ops. Now they've stopped any chance of practice ILS training. Previously you could only book a PILS slot time 0000-0200 then 0400-0600 - but now PILS are not permitted between 0000-0630 until mid August (the only times slots were available!).

There are not many options for an ILS around Brisbane. Nothing at the Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast. Amberley are becoming more restrictive with the Super Hornets and Oakey is a no go.

Airservices Aus, while the flying schools recognise they are at the bottom of the food chain, how about you give them a break? Or can't you handle the workload? One Duchess or P68 every half hour should not be an issue!

Steve888
25th Jul 2010, 13:08
Oakey is a no go

Why is Oakey a no go? I did quite a few PILS there during my instrument training only a few months ago. Granted they were all during periods of deactivation, but that's most weekends and afternoons.

Turbulent Eddy
25th Jul 2010, 13:19
The first notam states no PILS during those days/hours, due to increased runway demand.

Further down there is a separate notam stating RWY 14/32 not available due to runway works, during the same days/hours.

I made the assumption the increased demand for RWY 01/19 (ILS equipped RWY) is due to ATC not being able to utilise RWY 14/32 for the Dash/Metro/SAAB/Kingairs during those hours.

I have been wrong before though.....:eek:

Worrals in the wilds
25th Jul 2010, 13:31
Further down there is a separate notam stating RWY 14/32 not available due to runway works, during the same days/hours.

This is to install PAPIs to replace the ageing T-VASIS. PITA all around, but the work has to be done. During those hours it takes YBBN down to one effective RWY for the next few weeks. The 01/19 T-VASIS will be replaced overnight using displaced thresholds (between heavy movements) after the 14/32 works are completed.

Dizzy Llama
25th Jul 2010, 14:24
I have been wrong before though.....http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/eek.gif

not this time!

pretty simple really - one runway - no PILS slots.

VH-FTS
26th Jul 2010, 08:34
To use Tom Cruise's words - I'll put my manners back in. All sounds fair.