PDA

View Full Version : Aerodrome Line Markings

Ixixly
25th Jul 2010, 03:02
Ok, so i'm hoping this doesn't sound like a ridiculous question, but I can't seem to find an appropriate answer in any of the law books or textbooks.

I've found when operating at an airfield i'm not familiar with I get a bit worried at times as to whether i'm parking in the correct area or not! For example when only planning to be there a few hours or when remaining over night.

My question is, how does one tell? I'm assuming the various coloured markings on the ground give an indication as to the purpose of a particular area for parking purposes in regards to overnight stays and temporary stays. I will mention that of course I stay away from positions marked with an aircraft rego and I have read through the AIP and in particular AD 1.3 but still find myself a little confused. Or does it simply come down to calling them up and finding out where they want you to park or just using ones common sense?

dudduddud
25th Jul 2010, 03:12
I would be inclined to call up. A lot of AD in New Zealand are privately owned anyway and permission is required so it would be part of that call.

At any rate, a quick call might uncover some helpful tips and advice about the place.

YPJT
25th Jul 2010, 14:03
If you are in anything below 5700kg, don't park on a bay that is numbered and with lead-in lead-out lines.

Usually aircraft parking is designated by a double yellow line with a red line in the middle and marked 'PARKING LIMIT LINE'. Additional signs might indicate itinerate parking or similar. Be careful though as some parking areas might be permanent leases. Nothing p1sses someone off more than returning from a flight to find some blow-in tied down in their spot.

The best thing to do is as you suggested, go to the ERSA entry and call the airport operator who will be appreciative of you calling in advance rather than trying to track you down later in the local pub to get you to shift your aeroplane.

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
25th Jul 2010, 21:29
If this helps:
Aprons edges are marked by twin continuous yellow lines on sealed areas, otherwise by yellow cones.
Leased areas on aprons are marked by a continuous lime-green line.
Helicopter only aprons are marked by twin continuous blue lines on sealed areas otherwise by blue cones.
Parking areas are usually bounded by a red line which is generally (but doesn't have to be) bordered on each side by yellow lines. It will have the words "Parking Clearance" ("Parking Limit" is incorrect) painted at intervals along the line on the side you park. No part of the aircraft is to extend over this line as it gives clearance to taxilanes etc. Other red lines are continous red - "Equipment Storage" and broken red - "Equipment Clearance". These are usually around the edge and provide clearance for/from vehicles, equipment etc. There may be large broken yellow lines which delineate "Type Limit" and "Weight Limit" areas. The appropriate restrictions should be painted along the line at intervals.
Almost all white lines on aprons are meant for vehicles, but occasionally some secondary parking positions are painted white if they overlap the primary ones.
There are no standard markings to delineate short term or long term parking areas. The AD operator might provide some but they could be in any form. As stated, markings for aircraft over 5700kg are required on sealed aprons so avoid those if they don't apply. Some parking guidance may be noted in ERSA. I second the advise to always avoid anything with a rego painted on it. I agree the best advice is to phone ahead and ask some questions. The AD operator will always appreciate it.

Worrals in the wilds
25th Jul 2010, 22:35
...and anything marked AEROMED or similar with a RFDS hangar beside it is NOT for private helicopter ops flying Z grade celebutards between cocktail parties, particularly when there's a med 1 RFDS aircraft taxiing for the same bay :ugh::mad:. Seen it done, although I'm sure you're not one of those inconsiderate people, Ixixly!

I agree with the phone call, they can let you know any local quirks. Also, sometimes aerodrome markings aren't repainted as often as they should be and can be confusing/overgrown/illegible.

Trent 972
26th Jul 2010, 02:04
CASA- Manual of Standards Part 139—Aerodromes
Chapter 8 (http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/rules/1998casr/139/139m08.pdf) (Section 8.5) :ok:

AerocatS2A
26th Jul 2010, 10:13
Calling the operator can also be useful for getting the gate code and being given tips such as "ah, there're 12 C172s coming in on that day and there won't be any space on the tarmac at all."