PDA

View Full Version : Strange numbers on DAAG plates

balaton
24th Jul 2010, 20:08
Hi everybody,
Recently, I’ve discovered some weird figures on Algeria , especially DAAG Jepp plates. For e.g: Transition altitude 3940’, G/S intercept altitude 2260’ go around altitude 2470’, etc. These are not round figures (cannot be put into the alt selector) even if I transfer them to metric. What is the idea behind these numbers? Any ideas? Experience?
many thanks,
b

frogone
24th Jul 2010, 21:29
Just looked at the Jeppesens and they have a FT/Meter conversion box, so like you said 2260' translates to 688m :hmm:

zonnair
25th Jul 2010, 10:35
Domestic airports indeed only use QFE (QNH on request) and international airports use both.

Admiral346
25th Jul 2010, 19:09
You'll find a lot of that at eastern European/russian/chinese airports. It is from the conversion of meters to feet, be it QNH or QFE.
Poland comes to mind, Transition Altitude is some odd number and also the approach altitudes are indicated on our plates that way. In reality the controler will not clear you to 2930 feet, but to 3000 of course.

Nic

Gulfstreamaviator
25th Jul 2010, 19:41
They had USSR equipment, both aircraft and radar, so made sense to have metric numbers.

Howver I have no idea why not yet changes, but perhaps as the Mil still operate some CIS kit, it makes some sense...

Have a look at the parking area 9, on your Plane view, or similar GPS display, and tell me the chart is not quite compliant. Parked well on the grass

glf