PDA

View Full Version : Disgusted, words fail me

NutLoose
23rd Jul 2010, 07:45
:mad::mad::mad:

Amputee loses benefit after walking - UK News - MSN News UK (http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=154197809)

A soldier who lost a leg in Afghanistan had his disability benefit taken away despite only being able to walk a few hundred metres with the help of a prosthetic limb, it has been reported.
Private Aron Shelton, 26, from Bridlington, East Yorkshire, had his left leg amputated in December 2008 after he was injured in an explosion in Helmand province a year earlier.
He told the Daily Mirror his reward for learning to walk again was to lose his £180-a-month Disability Living Allowance which paid for a specially-adapted car.
He said: "I managed to walk 400 metres off my own back. It took sheer guts and determination.
"Because I can walk that distance and was honest enough to tell them, the benefit is being taken away from me and with it my means of getting around."
Pte Shelton said the benefit would end in September and he would have to hand back the car.
A spokeswoman for the Department for Work and Pensions said: "Issues such as this one are why we are making changes to the way we assess eligibility to DLA. We want to introduce a new, more objective assessment to ensure the system is fairer and targets those most in need.
"We can't talk about individual cases, but if a someone feels that a decision is wrong they can get in touch with us and we will look at again. Disability Living Allowance isn't paid based on the condition someone has, but on the extra costs they may have because of their specific needs or difficulties."

Double Zero
23rd Jul 2010, 08:18
Judging by the response mentioned above, and what I've heard on the radio, fingers crossed I'd be quietly confident sense will prevail for Private Shelton.

I suspect the benefits type quoted above could see it as a major cock-up even before the media got hold of it...

Hopefully the jobsworth who made the initial decision will have their fortune told; if a sensible result isn't forthcoming they're asking for merry hell from H for H and media.

Pontius Navigator
23rd Jul 2010, 08:36
Aye, we were on holiday last year and on an excursion the first two seats were reserved for someone with mobility problems - mmm.

Usually this would be someone unable to s q u e e z e down the aisle in the bus.

They were late and we had moved off when they were spotted walking hurriedly to the bus - both of them.

Only as they got closer did we realise the man had no legs. When they boarded we realised he only had one hand and that was damaged, the other was a prosthetic. Later still be realised he had no nose either, that too was a prosthetic.

No legs, one arm, no nose, but still able to walk at a good pace, but back on board when tired he would use a wheelchair. No idea if he was ex-military or ex-EOD, but guts in big measure and by anybodies assessment fully deserving of any allowance going. That was a true disability and not one caused by 'more cake please'.

zetec2
23rd Jul 2010, 11:00
In a similiar vein, our lad is suffering from a nasty case of Leukeamia (ALL & Philadelphia syndrome), been suffering for over 4 months now, still no benefits, told could be another 3 months of form filling before the "system" gets round to helping him out, likewise disgusted with the system & jobsworths, this country has gone to the wall, guess we are the wrong colour & English. Paul H.

glad rag
23rd Jul 2010, 12:03
months now, disgusted with the system & jobsworths, this country has gone to the wall, guess we are the wrong colour & English. Paul H.

Redundant since Dec, partner also, NO allowances not even JSA to help fund transport costs to sign on, 25 years Tax and NI payee, they don't want to know. Insurance companies (yes them) still stalling over paying out for redundancy cover as "we don't qualify for JSA". Same except I'm Scottish, partner English. Despair, ask me about it.

Saintsman
23rd Jul 2010, 13:19
My wife works with benefits so I get to see both sides of the story. His 'problem' is honesty. He's filled the form out and answered the questions truthfully. The form is sent off to someone who cannot see him and they have assesed the form and concluded that he does not meet the criteria.

He will get his entitlement when it is appealed.

The bigger issue is all the thousands of people who do lie. Who have a 'bad back' and 'can't walk very far' etc etc. Hard to prove that you are not in pain and these people know it, milking the system for all it's worth. Thats what needs sorting. If they had no benefits, they would soon find work.

Neptunus Rex
23rd Jul 2010, 13:58
During WW II, Douglas Bader used to joke about the fact that he was the only pilot in the RAF entitled to both flying pay and 100% disability allowance!

Top Bunk Tester
23rd Jul 2010, 15:11
mra4eng

No, the problem is that the world and this country in particular are full of the PC police, of which you are obviously one.

And before you start, I am intelligent (Biggin Hill told me, so there)

mikip
23rd Jul 2010, 15:19
Sainstman I have a 'bad back' I have had 4 operations and still manage to work and no I dont claim DLA even though I could it really p***ss** me off when people assume that if you have a back condition you are are just a lazy no good shirker who should be first aganst the wall

zetec2
23rd Jul 2010, 15:56
mra4eng

As the poster of the final comment re being English & caucasian, I sincerely hope that you do not end up with a disability or problem & have to go through the trials & tribulations we are going through to obtain some benefit for our son who is critically ill & then see others who would be classed as fit & able & in some cases not even from this Country abuse the system with no conscience, & yes my Son has paid tax, NI etc, etc for the past 25 years, just don't know what we have to do to enable him to get some small amount of help.

Disgruntled, you bet I am, Paul H.

PPRuNe Pop
23rd Jul 2010, 16:04
I have today sent an email to Ian Duncan-Smith who is the minister at the Department of Works and Pensions. His father was a BoB pilot and very brave one at that, so he should be well aware of what heroes are, and the need to treat the heroes of today in the manner they deserve.

If the system is wrong - change it! If the managers are wrong - change them too. If the MoD is involved David Cameron should be head hunting by Monday a.m.

PPP

Chainkicker
23rd Jul 2010, 16:43
Whilst I have no knowledge of this particular claim, one of the usual incorrect answers given on the application form concerns "unaided" when discussing what you are able to do. I would hazard a guess that the applicant in this case did not consider his replacement as an "aid" in the same way a pair of crutches would be. "Unaided" means unaided by any devices you may use to assist with balance etc. I would hazard a guess that a 400m walk would be out of his "comfort" zone without some form of assistance and hope it is pointed out in his appeal.

Gentleman Jim
23rd Jul 2010, 19:21
I have a few lads out here a year for a freebie holiday. One of them lost a leg and lots of muscle all over the place. He was 18 when it happened! He has worked and worked and made it up to base camp Everest, no mean feat when your leg has been blown off less than a year before. The reward for all his work? They are taking his specially adapted car of him in October! I am doing all I can to prevent this happening. I don't often use this word....c***s.

Wander00
23rd Jul 2010, 19:39
OK, this getting irate is all very well, but PRACTICALLY, to whom do we write - and without names, case number, etc it is difficult to support an individual. However, I would have thought that RBL, SSAFA and single service charities should be in there shaking the tree very hard for these guys and girls.

NutLoose
24th Jul 2010, 22:39
During WW II, Douglas Bader used to joke about the fact that he was the only pilot in the RAF entitled to both flying pay and 100% disability allowance!

Actually having no legs worked in Baders favour, It is believed he was able to withstand G forces greater than other pilots who would have blacked out due to blood pooling in their legs, with Bader he had in effect a G suit on.

Dengue_Dude
24th Jul 2010, 22:58
I know this is cynical, but ask me why . . .

Politicians are much happier praising DEAD 'heroes' rather than addressing the embarrassing need to help the results of THEIR policies.

The 'glorious' dead are much more convenient and not in your face. For, the most part, they're cheaper too.

Look up and listen to Stan Graham's song 'Michael's Medals' (he's an ex Lt. Col and has been there and done it).

I wouldn't feel very comfortable if I were a politician, but I feel they manage to get over little problems like scruples and responsibility quite early on.