PDA

View Full Version : Flying up close

Lumps
21st Jul 2010, 10:36
So you have one aircraft on commercial joy flight ops, and a second that is private, no passengers. Can these two aircraft fly together in formation? (with appropriately rated pilots of course)

Could they still fly together if the flight was advertised as 'formation joy flight' or similar?

The private aircraft does not receive any reward for the flight.

dudduddud
21st Jul 2010, 11:06
It would likely have to be part of the operators exposition if it were advertised. An unusual situation though to have non-reward private flights formating on joyrides. What does the private flight get out of it?

sixtiesrelic
21st Jul 2010, 11:12
What does the private flight get out of it?

Some great footage!

VH-XXX
21st Jul 2010, 11:24
I've done his before on many an occasion as the private aircraft (for fun).

If it is legal, the important part is the passenger is informed that it will occur. There's a reasonable expectation for them that another aircraft won't be flying literally metres away. I experienced a similar situation on a speed boat to Phi Phi island in Thailand. They started driving very close together at high speed - not something that I signed up for when I purchased the trip.

dudduddud
21st Jul 2010, 11:27
Seems the joyride is being advertised as a formation flight and the private flight has no passengers so likely all passengers have been informed.

I'd be a bit worried if someone tried to formate on a plane I was a passenger on, particularly in SE Asia!