PDA

View Full Version : Getting current again - where & how?

Norman Goering
20th Jul 2010, 10:27
In spite of 5000+ hours of commercial time behind me, I've never needed to get myself current as, obviously my continuing employment had naturally not meant it was an issue.

However, I was made redundant 12 months ago and have not been able to afford to keep my currency up to date.

I have been told that there may be an improvement for me in the near future if I get current so my questions are:

1. What do I need to do to become current - just renew my IR? If so, will I need to do it on my previous type or on any suitable twin e.g. Seneca? I would also assume that a certain amount of refresher training will be required as my piston twin rating has long since lapsed?

2. Anybody had to do this themselves and if so, where did you do it and would you recommend them?

3. Cost?

I am based in the UK so obviously I would be looking to use a UK school.

I DID look through the archives and found no suitable threads so I apologise if this is a repeat question previously covered elsewhere.

MIKECR
20th Jul 2010, 22:23
The MEIR would only need to be current to commence your FIRST Type Rating. Assuming(with your 5000 hours commercial time) that you already hold at least 1 aircraft Type rating then the currency of the IR is not an issuse i.e......should you gain employment and require to gain a new TR then you dont need to have the IR current. If however your looking at doing single pilots in a small twin or similar then thats a different ball game...you would require to renew your 'single pilot' IR.