PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed For My Planned Training Method

Dignerf
19th Jul 2010, 16:54
Hi all.

I'm 22 years old, graduated from University last summer but have always dreamt of becoming a pilot so I decided to look around for a training course where I liked the look of the CTC Wings course. I decided to apply for that, went through the selection process and got offered a place where I would have been due to start in October this year as a cadet. After receiving the contract and be slightly alarmed at how tight it was, I decided to do some more research before signing it where, fortunately, I stumbled across these forums, and realised that things weren't quite as rosy as CTC made them out to be. (The nail in the coffin was when I discovered that cadets are having to pay around £10,000 for their line training - a fact that CTC never pointed out!)

I have since found a local flight school, St. George Flight Training (http://www.stgeorgeflighttraining.co.uk/index.html), which is based at Newcastle Airport (I live about 25 mins away) and decided to go for a meeting there with the owner. They offer a course that would get me a frozen ATPL for £24K, and then for a further £6K I could get my Instructor qualification. During the meeting, the owner, Eric, said that what people tend to do is go down that route and get their FI rating, and then teach people to fly at that school for 2-3 years so that they get their hours up to around 1000+, so not only are you increasing your hours, you're getting paid too. They then apply to the major airlines where he claims they will be much more attractive to employ than someone who has just came out an FTO with around 200 hours experience.

The only drawback I can see with this school and method is that they do not currently offer a multi-engine module, therefore at some point I would have to go somewhere else to get that and the instrument rating, also meaning that the majority of my hours will be in a simple single engine aircraft.

I would appreciate any comments or advice about this plan, especially if anyone has done this or knows someone else that has gone down this route.

I realise that the aviation industry is currently a mess, but this method would mean I'd likely not be applying to a major airline until 4 or 5 years time where, hopefully, things will have picked up by then!

Thanks

mcgoo
19th Jul 2010, 18:08
If they don't offer a multi engine course or an Instrument rating course, then you are not getting a frozen ATPL course for £24k.

A frozen ATPL is a CPL/ME/IR with ATPL exam theory credits and an MCC course.

b.a. Baracus
19th Jul 2010, 20:08
Firstly welcome to pprune. I suggest a bit more research, have a good look through the forums and visit some more schools. I would say that £24k is a rather conservative figure.

Kind Regards. :ok:.

Dignerf
22nd Jul 2010, 17:34
Thanks for the replies. Mcgoo, I thought that was the case, but the way the site listed it made me think I was mistaken, so thanks for the clarification.

Having looked around at various other schools that do offer the Multi Engine modules etc, I think I would be looking at around an additional £15K to make up the ATPL.

So my plan now is to do my PPL, CPL, all theory (at home) then Flight Instructor course at St Georges, teach there for 2 around 2 years, then go for the remaining modules elsewhere, after which I would begin applying to the airlines to become a FO. What are people's thoughts on this?

Thanks

MagicTiger
23rd Jul 2010, 00:14
PPL
Hour building (TT min.150 hours - 100 hours PIC)
ATPL's - theory (6 - 12 months)
CPL (1 month)
ME (1 week)
IR (2 - 4 months)
and FI in the end if you have any money left, at least you got all your important ratings. (MCC not included)

When you finish 14 ATPL exams, you must complete the CPL/IR within 3 years, the FI you can do whenever you want. Read some of the threads on PPRUNE, Lasors CAA.

I am not saying your suggestion is not possible, but by the time you have done all your ATPL's, and passed them fine, you will not want to get into a predicament of running out of time to complete your IR.

FI courses are quoted around £6500 + another approx. £1000 for extras, thats £7500, while your IR will cost you around £12000 - £14000 - so unless you have to much money, you want to make sure you have the money for your IR to be completed.

Modular CPL/IR/ME should cost you around £24000 + PPL/hour building and ATPL theory course.(Probably another £12000 for the PPL and hour building)

If you do class room ATPL you can complete it within 6 months, if you do distance learning I think maybe 12 - 15 months, from what I have heard of others. I did full time class room, as distance learning just did not work for me.